• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Dartford - Oyster fare....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor
Why is it cheaper? I thought the most Oyster ever did to the traditional fare structure was decrease the cost of singles so that they are half a return.

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Why is it cheaper? I thought the most Oyster ever did to the traditional fare structure was decrease the cost of singles so that they are half a return.

Within London Oyster fares are pretty much guaranteed to be cheaper than paper equivalents. Outside zones 1-6 they will often be the same as paper, but, they have run out of zones within the Oyster system so new stations have to fit within an existing structure. As you've noticed, single fares are at most half the equivalent return because the system cannot work by remembering what journeys were made earlier and thus need to be turned into returns.

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor
Within London Oyster fares are pretty much guaranteed to be cheaper than paper equivalents. Outside zones 1-6 they will often be the same as paper, but, they have run out of zones within the Oyster system so new stations have to fit within an existing structure. As you've noticed, single fares are at most half the equivalent return because the system cannot work by remembering what journeys were made earlier and thus need to be turned into returns.

I see. But I'm curious as to if single fares within London on Oyster are cheaper than the paper equivalents used to be, when the range of paper tickets that was replaced by Oyster used to be available, adjusting for inflation and the 'Return Effect'.

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I see. But I'm curious as to if single fares within London on Oyster are cheaper than the paper equivalents used to be, when the range of paper tickets that was replaced by Oyster used to be available, adjusting for inflation and the 'Return Effect'.

When the Oyster fares were first introduced on the late-adopting TOCs (the ones which had to be dragged kicking and screaming with sizeable bribes) the peak single fare was half the anytime return (or just under) and the off-peak single was similarly half the old off-peak return (or just under). One can only speculate what has happened to off-peak fares, but there is now a considerable gap between two peak singles and the current anytime return for many pairs. Eg CRY-LBG is £6.00 Oyster single and £13.60 Anytime return. Even better, the new all-day capping means that the most you'll pay in zones 1-6 is £11.70 per day.

JaJaWa

Established Member
The MP for Dartford has had confirmation from Southeastern that Oyster will be extended there by the end of September:

http://www.kentonline.co.uk/dartford/news/dartford-set-for-oyster-cards-37903/

The DfT has received the same confirmation from Govia's "TOCs" that operate to Gatwick Airport (Oyster will be valid there in September 2015).

Govia also plans to extend validity to Luton and Welwyn in the north but the migration of Oyster to a new system has fallen behind, however it's now looking possible that these extensions could be implemented anyway.

Last edited:

34D

Established Member
At present, are there Oyster pads at dartford for freedom pass users?

If so, presumably these will just be enabled for all oyster & contactless users in Sep?

Is it known yet which TfL zone Dartford will be put in with?

Last edited:

thebigcheese

They'll hopefully be card readers on the platform so I can hop on and off and stay on the same train. Travelling from Gravesend into London I normally jump on and off at Crayford as I found it's best way to get an off peak travelcard

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
At present, are there Oyster pads at dartford for freedom pass users?

If so, presumably these will just be enabled for all oyster & contactless users in Sep?

Is it known yet which TfL zone Dartford will be put in with?

No, there are no pads. Freedom Pass holders have to be let out at both Dartford and Swanley. This will be another benefit of the Oyster extension.

BR Fares shows a £7.00 peak Oyster single between St. Pancras and Dartford. I can't see any other £7.00 BR only singles from Zone 1 on https://tfl.gov.uk/cdn/static/cms/documents/national-rail-adult-fares.pdf so presumably it is its own special little zone.
It will be a separate zone, but I doubt it will be on it's own. The fare from St Pancras may be a mixed mode one - it's unclear sometimes which fare is represented in the fares manual.

They'll hopefully be card readers on the platform so I can hop on and off and stay on the same train. Travelling from Gravesend into London I normally jump on and off at Crayford as I found it's best way to get an off peak travelcard

I think platform validators are unlikely. You might want to check combinations when the prices are confirmed as I expect the Dartford travelcard to be similar to it's current value.

JaJaWa

Established Member
No, there are no pads. Freedom Pass holders have to be let out at both Dartford and Swanley. This will be another benefit of the Oyster extension.

Do you know why Freedom Passes can be used to these stations? It seems the residents of Dartford don't get the same benefits on their concessionary passes.

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Do you know why Freedom Passes can be used to these stations? It seems the residents of Dartford don't get the same benefits on their concessionary passes.

I think it's historical. Dartford/Swanley are the nearest stations for some residents in the borough of Bexley.

clagmonster

Established Member
It will be a separate zone, but I doubt it will be on it's own. The fare from St Pancras may be a mixed mode one - it's unclear sometimes which fare is represented in the fares manual.
Sorry, I meant London Bridge. I probably confused threads.

34D

Established Member

I think platform validators are unlikely. You might want to check combinations when the prices are confirmed as I expect the Dartford travelcard to be similar to it's current value.

Thanks Mike. For Dartford to St Pancras on oyster, this would of course be classic lines only and not going to gravesend for javelin.

Status
Not open for further replies.