• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Dartmoor Railway Diesel gala October 14/15th

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Galvanize

Visiting locos: 50042 and 37142 from the Bodmin 'n' wentford railway. A 66 is also pencilled in, no idea who's one it'll be. probably be GBRF.

Nat the Ned

Hmm, any services from Credtion or is it completly cut off?

Its completely cut off. The Dartmoor Railway run from Meldon Quarry to Coleford Junction (where the quarry line meets the Barnstaple Branch). This section of track is owned by CAMAS the aggregate company who own Meldon Quarry. Coleford Junction is no longer a junction but its where the CAMAS/Network Rail boundary is. This is a shame as the quarry line runs parallel with the Barnstaple branch down through Yeoford station where an old platform exsists on the quarry line and therefore could provide an interchange... The quarry line actually joins the Barnstaple branch immediately north of Crediton. But of course to run through to Yeoford all the Dartmoor Railway stock would have to be Network Rail passed and no doubt Network Rail would charge to use their track, and of course Yeoford station needs a few thousand spent on it to bring it up to standard.

Bus from Exeter to Okehampton is your best bet!!

N

devon_metro

Established Member
Yes, was hoping the services on summer sundays that i have been on were ruinning. It's such a slow line though :lol:

The duff was idling most of the way with the only thrash leaving Meldon!

TheSlash

Established Member
Liam, i was talking to a mate who said the 47 was having trouble that day, hence why it was barely powering.
I reckon i might drive down for a day or two.

clagmonster

Established Member
I've noticed on the PLEG website that the 08 has been withdrawn from the gala.

Galvanize

This is a 60mph line! That's official. Slug and Hoover haulage at 60mph will be something for everyone to enjoy...

No timetable or fares announced yet.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
This is something I'd like to do, but it's the timings for the bash there and back that make things difficult for me, then there's the gala ticket cost and the bash to Okehampton that will make it rather expensive! All the money I can keep for The Sandblower the better!

50042, lush lush lush...

Techniquest

Veteran Member
As I have wasted £14 on going for the HST yesterday, which I ended up not getting due to some mishap by Virgin, I canna afford to come down for this now anyway.

Nat the Ned

An EWS class 66 will be collecting 37142+50042 from Bodmin at apx 05:00 on the Saturday morning to go to Okehampton. The convoy will leave Dartmoor for Bodmin apx 15:00 on the Sunday...

N

devon_metro

Established Member
Interesting, i might have to see the consist as long as it passes Newton Abbot at a reasonable time, preferably later than 9. No chance of that though!

16CSVT2700

Established Member
This is a 60mph line! That's official. Slug and Hoover haulage at 60mph will be something for everyone to enjoy...

No timetable or fares announced yet.

Found this on Preserved Diesels;
Ganger said:
50 mph + ???? Having driven over the line many times and having had chance to look at the WTT I dont see anything diagrammed for anywhere near those speeds. The services from Coleford Junction (or in reality just short of the junction at the DR boundary at around 184m 0c between Mill Hill Bridge and Penstone footpath) to Okehampton (197m 25c) require an average speed of about 18 mph. The services from Okehampton to Meldon (distance 2m 07c) require average speeds of around 8 1/2 mph for the 08/73 services and 12 1/2 mph for the others.

Dennis

Established Member
Myself and young Mr Jim should be attending on Saturday; think the bus From Exeter is due in about 10.30.

Looking forward to it; full English fry-up and a pint at Okehampton, some decent traction and the weather forecast looks good. Can't ask for much more than that.

Status
Not open for further replies.