• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Dartmoor Railway stock for sale

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Lordbeer

As most of the coaching stock for sale at the Dartmoor Railway has now been scrapped by Sims at Newport does anyone know what happened to mk2 corridor first 13436 or mk1 'Laboratory 11' RDB975046?

Amlag

O
As most of the coaching stock for sale at the Dartmoor Railway has now been scrapped by Sims at Newport does anyone know what happened to mk2 corridor first 13436 or mk1 'Laboratory 11' RDB975046?
These two coaches were never owned by the DRCIC, but belong to the Dartmoor Railway Association and remain stabled at Meldon Quarry with an uncertain future.

Lordbeer

O
These two coaches were never owned by the DRCIC, but belong to the Dartmoor Railway Association and remain stabled at Meldon Quarry with an uncertain future.
Hadn't realised this so many thanks. Looking at the DRA website it would be great if these and their other stock could form the basis of a new Heritage service to Meldon, but recent events make this look unlikely, at least in the near future.

Brush 4

The DRA reported the removal of the connection to P2 by NR without comment. If true, they can't run to Meldon at all. Perhaps there hands are tied, if they criticise, future operations will be in jeopardy, even though future operations are now impossible anyway.

Lordbeer

The DRA reported the removal of the connection to P2 by NR without comment. If true, they can't run to Meldon at all. Perhaps there hands are tied, if they criticise, future operations will be in jeopardy, even though future operations are now impossible anyway.
Sorry, the removal of the connection into platform 2 was what I meant by 'recent events'. I must admit that I was surprised by the lack of comment on the DRA website about this action, though there are photos and they do like the new rail joint where the points used to be! As you say, perhaps their hands are tied.

fgwrich

Established Member
Sorry, the removal of the connection into platform 2 was what I meant by 'recent events'. I must admit that I was surprised by the lack of comment on the DRA website about this action, though there are photos and they do like the new rail joint where the points used to be! As you say, perhaps their hands are tied.
I do wonder though how any potential new service to Meldon may operate - were the previous services run under the safety case / control of BARS / DCR / RMS Locotec or the DRA? The original plans put forward for Okehampton and Okehampton Parkway did effectively see GWR run to Okehampton Parkway, and shorter Dartmoor Railway run between there and Meldon.

Crossover

Established Member

northernbelle

I do wonder though how any potential new service to Meldon may operate - were the previous services run under the safety case / control of BARS / DCR / RMS Locotec or the DRA? The original plans put forward for Okehampton and Okehampton Parkway did effectively see GWR run to Okehampton Parkway, and shorter Dartmoor Railway run between there and Meldon.
The proposed Okehampton Parkway station is the Exeter side of the existing Okehampton station and would have no impact at all on anything between Okehampton and Meldon.

The challenge might be the gauging of trains at OKE in the non-Network Rail platform - I gather the clearances since the NR line has been brought up to spec aren't enough to have both platforms in use together.

Ash Bridge

Established Member
The proposed Okehampton Parkway station is the Exeter side of the existing Okehampton station and would have no impact at all on anything between Okehampton and Meldon.

The challenge might be the gauging of trains at OKE in the non-Network Rail platform - I gather the clearances since the NR line has been brought up to spec aren't enough to have both platforms in use together.
As I understood it when mentioned some time ago this was concerning platform 2, but what would prevent the use of platform 1 (former Bude bay) for a heritage operation to Meldon? unless as suggested by @fgwrich its a safety case related issue perhaps…

Brush 4

Visited today and had a chat with a DRA chap. The points will be put back after driver training is over. It seems that there were concerns about a driver overshooting the station and on over the turnout so, it was removed. NR will also reconnect P1, the old Bude bay. This will allow a 1 or 2 coach service to Meldon, as P2 is out of bounds due to modern gauging issues. Does the removal of a point for driver training ring true for those on here in the industry?

So, if all that is true, it is looking good for both GWR and DRA.

Matey

The photo of the joint is the spot where the new laid FB track joins the old. Not where the point and ground frame were removed much further up.

paul1609

Established Member
Don't want to be pessimistic but if i were a betting man Id put money on Network Rail thinking that there was either going to be no heritage operation, or that the heritage railway was going to be isolated with no network connection perhaps running in to the disused bay.
To operate trains on the Okehampton to Meldon Section a heritage railway is going to need a lease from Network Rail (ala Wensleydale) possibly a lease from AI the quarry owners, a safety management system, possibly a Transport & Works Act Order.
Thats a big ask for any organisation. Co-running with a mainline TOC on a 75mph passenger line would require a modern signalling system at Okehampton, that's not even been done by any of the Premier League heritage Lines.

pdeaves

Established Member
To operate trains on the Okehampton to Meldon Section a heritage railway is going to need a lease from Network Rail (ala Wensleydale) possibly a lease from AI the quarry owners, a safety management system, possibly a Transport & Works Act Order.
I think NR only owns part of the formation. (Re-)Adding in the point end would then effectively be 'only' needing a private siding agreement, same as any other heritage railway connected to the national network.

paul1609

Established Member
I think NR only owns part of the formation. (Re-)Adding in the point end would then effectively be 'only' needing a private siding agreement, same as any other heritage railway connected to the national network.
I think the whole running line to Meldon Quarry was transferred to Network Rail with the sidings at Meldon retained by the quarry company.
I think the Okehampton Line is now classified as a passenger line to the stop blocks and is operated as one train in operation from Crediton. Im not sure if this is being done with axle counters or a line staff has been retained but any private siding point would need locking and possibly position indication to the signalling centre.
The hourly service to Exeter is going to make any movements onto or off the network rail section impossible during the hours of operation. I can't see that you could possibly justify the cost.
Most other heritage connections are from sidings and are not signalled form regular passenger use. Off the top of my head I can only think of the NYMR, West Somerset, Severn Valley and possibly East Lancs that are.
The majority are for occasion use and are connected through sidings. Ours at the Rother Valley railway is connected through a P Way siding. The Bluebell is through carriage sidings.
The closest example that i can think of to the situation at Okehampton is the North Norfolk Railway at Sheringham where it is an occasional connection that can be used up to 12 times a year.

trainmania100

Established Member
Has anyone heard any updates on freight reinstatement of the quarry? I haven't been checking here recently but I thought I did see some talk a few months ago albeit speculation.

Obviously a while to go before it does happen I assume the track needs replacing to meldon as well as fitting of the digging machines.

What sort of stock can we expect to run the okehampton trains? I am assuming 150?
I suppose a 43 short set is out of the question heh

davetheguard

Established Member

O

As well as those vehicles, there is also this one at Meldon - it appears to me to be a class 117 DMU trailer car. Number on vehicle is 59520. Anyone know what it is? Picture taken yesterday:

DSCN4335.JPG

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
As well as those vehicles, there is also this one at Meldon - it appears to me to be a class 117 DMU trailer car. Number on vehicle is 59520. Anyone know what it is? Picture taken yesterday:

View attachment 105314
59520 is a 117 trailer, yes.

A quick look at a random old Combined Volume ( 1992 ) shows it as having in that year been in Tyseley set 305, full formation 51368 + 59520 + 51410.

davetheguard

Established Member
59520 is a 117 trailer, yes.

A quick look at a random old Combined Volume ( 1992 ) shows it as having in that year been in Tyseley set 305, full formation 51368 + 59520 + 51410.

Ah, never a Reading set then - I thought it might have been an old friend, like the trailers on the Paignton - Kingswear line. Thanks for the info.

Status
Not open for further replies.