• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Dartmoor & Weardale Railways for sale

Status
Not open for further replies.

theblackwatch

Established Member
I'm surprised that no one has latched on the proposal to run a direct nightly Stanhope to London sleeper service, given that the coaches are already on site and being processed through the Wolsingham workshops. The idea is that people will visit The Auckland Project's attractions during the day and then be whisked back home down south overnight, probably hauled by 'Flying Scotsman' if the NRM can make it available. The two Mk3 kitchen cars which are already on site will be providing the evening meals and one of the ex-Caledonian day coaches will be attached as a mobile bar.

All I can say is don't believe all you read on the forums!

Better to use one of the Weardale based 31s, then the train could take all night to get to London. :lol:

Perhaps the pigeons that live in the sheds at Wolsingham can be taken down on the train too, so they can visit Trafalgar Square?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

fireftrm

Surely the sleeper service will include Prince Bishops Ale and Panhaggerty too? Of course Flying scotsman is being fitted with an ETH generator especially for this service....

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
I'm surprised that no one has latched on the proposal to run a direct nightly Stanhope to London sleeper service, given that the coaches are already on site and being processed through the Wolsingham workshops. The idea is that people will visit The Auckland Project's attractions during the day and then be whisked back home down south overnight, probably hauled by 'Flying Scotsman' if the NRM can make it available. The two Mk3 kitchen cars which are already on site will be providing the evening meals and one of the ex-Caledonian day coaches will be attached as a mobile bar.

All I can say is don't believe all you read on the forums!
Ha Ha, Sounds good. :D

DarloRich

Veteran Member
I personally wouldn’t doubt The Auckland Project’s rigour.

They possess a level of acumen, and equity, that could, can, has and will run rings around those for whom inertia is the foundation of their position and status.

Absolutely. While i think the plans are ambitious the people behind the foundation certainly have drive. Look at the success of Kynren. Details on the driving force behind the foundation here: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-51648556

BBC said:
The multimillionaire's plan to reinvent a town

Amlag

Always winners and losers! Mainly losers.

The assets incl the rolling stock of the Dartmoor Railway CIC ( in administration) seem to have been removed from the Walker Singleton website ..anyone know why ?

trainmania100

Established Member
Does anyone know where I can find a stock list of the assets for sale ? If not I've messaged DRSA on Facebook, interesteted to know what vehicles are being sold (they posted on FB about a lineup at Okehampton awaiting sale)

Ash Bridge

Established Member
Does anyone know where I can find a stock list of the assets for sale ? If not I've messaged DRSA on Facebook, interesteted to know what vehicles are being sold (they posted on FB about a lineup at Okehampton awaiting sale)

Unless I've misunderstood, from what I've read the stock is no longer for sale as RMS Locotec has been purchased by a holdings company and most of this stock may be included in the purchase. With the exception of DRSA items it also seems they're finding it rather difficult to determine who actually owns what at the moment.

Smoggy

The issue is the stock is at Okehampton Platform 2 and unable to be moved by administrators as currently no operators license in place. So doubt will see any sale list until the stock is able to be moved to Meldon Quarry where it can then be roaded out.

Iskra

Established Member
Source Branchline News P29, quoting Modern Railways magazine.

'Weardale Railway, County Durham (MR p9) (BLN 1349.MR63): County Durham Council cabinet has voted to invest £2.1 million in the Weardale Railway, part of its commitment to regenerate the economy amid the pandemic. The match funding will enable Weardale Railway Limited, a newly established subsidiary of The Auckland Project, to carry out essential infrastructure works needed to reopen and expand the line. The venture would also create employment and training opportunities for residents, including apprenticeships for young people. Councillor Carl Marshall, cabinet member for economic regeneration, said: Weardale Railway is an important and much-loved heritage asset, but it also has the potential to be a valuable economic asset too. Tourism has been hit hard by the pandemic, but it now stands to play a crucial role in the county's economic recovery. We are doing as much as we can to assist the sector now and safeguard the thousands of jobs it supports. However, it is also important to look ahead and support ventures that will bring long term benefits to our communities. This is a strategy we are applying across the county and in other sectors too. It is why we are working hard to ensure the development of major employment sites and transport infrastructure improvements remain on track. Investing in Weardale Railway is part of our commitment to County Durham's future.'

That's a good result!

Status
Not open for further replies.