• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Daughter used morning ticket and was caught

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul1

Hi everyone, thank you for all the comments and suggestions for the letter. My daughter has drafted this letter I was wondering if you would be able to read it and give any comments and suggestions in order to improve it. Thank you so much once again.

Dear Sir or Madam,

Thank you for giving me the opportunity to respond to your letter dated 12/04/17 with my explanation.

On Wednesday 22nd March 2017, I boarded the Northern Rail train from Bradford Interchange to Rochdale station. With only minutes’ spare to catch the train and being in a rush to get home, I made the foolish decision to show the barrier staff at Bradford Interchange my ticket from the morning rather than purchase a new ticket for my journey. I boarded the train and I had the full intention of buying the ticket on my phone but it genuinely slipped my mind and I was later stopped by a ticket inspector at Rochdale station. Due to fear of the consequences, I became extremely panicked and anxious and with a lack of judgment I told him that I had left my ticket on the train. I would like to deeply apologise to the member off staff I had lied to, he was extremely helpful. He asked if I had a ticket from the morning which I did and I showed him which he accepted. The member of staff subsequently took my details.

There is no justification I can offer to explain my actions. This was a stupid decision that I made in the spur of the moment, which then spiralled out of control. What I did was dishonest and I would like to offer my sincere apologies. I would like to reassure you that the rare times I do use the train I now always purchase a ticket before boarding - even if this means getting a later train.

I deeply regret the way I have behaved and I have learned a extremely valuable lesson. The outcome of my behaviour could have a significant impact on me whereby a criminal record could lead to expulsion from my University and would become a obstacle on my future carer choice of becoming a teacher: I am a 19-year old student, and now realise the seriousness of what I have done. I am also aware that my behaviour has cost Northern Rail financially. If possible, I would be more than happy to welcome the opportunity to resolve this and pay for my outstanding train fare, and any other administrative costs that have occurred to Northern Rail from processing my case.

I once again would like to sincerely apologise for my doing and hope that you accept my apology. I look forward to hearing from you.

Yours faithfully,

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Haywain

Veteran Member
No offence intended, but that needs to be shorter.

Sent from my SM-G800F using Tapatalk

mazza887

I boarded the train and I had the full intention of buying the ticket on my phone but it genuinely slipped my mind

I would say you need to take this out. She had already committed 2 offences by this point by:

• Boarding the train without buying a ticket where there was facilities to buy a ticket
  • Showing an invalid ticket to the staff at the barriers

Therefore her intentions are already much too late by that point and would not rectify the 2 earlier crimes, especially as she then went on to commit a third offence by lying to the next set of staff at Rochdale. All you can do is admit what you did without excuses, and apologise and say you have learned your lesson.

Last edited:

Paul1

Hi guys

Just wanted to update you and let you know that today my daughter received a reply back from Arriva and somehow miraculously they just want the outstanding fair of £9.30. So no court or criminal record thank god.

I just want to say a massive thank you to everyone who helped my daughter with all the advice and suggestions. it is truly a lesson learnt for my daughter and she definitely will not be doing this again in the future.

Thank you everyone.

najaB

Veteran Member
Just wanted to update you and let you know that today my daughter received a reply back from Arriva and somehow miraculously they just want the outstanding fair of £9.30. So no court or criminal record thank god.
Happy to hear that. Thanks for letting us know.

Status
Not open for further replies.