• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

David Beckham's Posh Spice tattoo draws complaints from UK schools

Status
Not open for further replies.

NY Yankee

In 2008 David Beckham added to his ink collection with a lingerie-clad depiction of his wife Victoria on his left forearm. Despite being clearly visible for the past four years — and essentially just an outline drawing of a woman in underwear — the tattoo is now at the center of a huge kerfuffle, as it is featured on a flyer distributed by UK supermarket chain Sainsburys to 47,000 schools and community groups. The Sun reports:

Pictures of Becks' tattoo of Victoria in lingerie on his arm appeared on promotional posters and collection boxes for the Sainsbury's Active Kids scheme.

Anita Deacon, of Winshill Pre-School in Burton, Staffordshire, said: "We're not being prudish.

"We just think it's inappropriate. The tattoo depicts Posh Spice wearing nothing but underwear and posing provocatively."

Preschool manager Lynne Baker also complained, saying she would keep the offending material on display, but only if it was "too high up for the children to see." Thus completely defeating the object of posting it up.

[Forgoing the irony of this news being reported in The Sun — a newspaper that features a full-page topless woman every single day — reacting in this manner to a tattoo on one of the most photographed men in the world seems a little over the top. Nevertheless, Sainsbury's has profusely apologized for the offense it may have caused.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/soccer-dirty-tackle/47-000-uk-schools-offended-david-beckham-posh-174847577.html

I'm vaguely familiar with David Beckham. I think he plays for the Los Angeles Galaxy, but soccer is not as popular in the US as it is in the UK. Beckham likes to hang out with popular American celebrities including Will Smith and Tom Cruise. He's married to Posh Spice. The Spice Girls were fairly popular in the US in the late 1990's. As for the tattoo issue, I don't see the problem since the depiction is not visible unless you're close up.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Sounds like claptrap to me. If you want a picture of Becks (as, lets face it, plenty do ;)) you get the tattoos as well. What should they do - airbrush them out ?

Plus there seem to be a lot of far more sexualised images than this tattoo about anyway.

People need to get a grip IMO.

YorkshireBear

Established Member
Well surely we should chop his arm off to make sure this never happens again! it is a disgrace and i do not understand how this can happen in todays society.....

.......... oh dear god get a grip people. Your happy for people to go out in next to no cloths but not for an unclear tatoo on a small leaflet....

Grantham

I don't object to double standards, as there heaps of different sets of sets of rules for the same things all over the world, but it seems to me that people who have a problem with pictures of pretty girls probably have the issue with the pretty girls rather than the pictures!

Frankly, it sounds rediculous. The picture of a picture surely is not what the problem is. I think they should be honest and tell us what they want (what they really, really want...geddit?) instead of carry on with strange and prudish tripe.

trentside

Established Member
Fares Advisor
It seems that people are always looking for something to be morally outraged by.

I think there are always things that people should be outraged by, but a man having a tattoo of his wife in her underwear on his arm isn't one of them. She's more clothed than most of the women who appear in the Sun, for starters.

Badger

Hold on a minute... they're offended even though she's wearing lingerie?

Thank god she wasn't actually naked, the world would have ended!

If this is what classes as sexualised these days I think the problem is with the observers, not with the material..

deltic1989

Established Member
oh come on world, when she was in the Spice Girls she regularly appeared similarly attired or wearing less than this, in videos that these kids parents will have seen, and a look that these kids parents probably tried to copy. But the Icing on the cake is that the sun thinks that it is morally un-acceptable, so erm.......what's page three then? The Hipocrisy of this whole think just makes me dispair of the human race.

Clip

Established Member
Just typical of the Sun and its "double standards".

I dont think so.

The Sun sets out its stall with birds on page 3 topless. That does not nor should it detract from any other story - in fact its pertinent to point out that politics highlights are opposite pg 3.

They are a news business. They will tell a story as they see fit - and that goes for all news papers/tv

Status
Not open for further replies.