• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Dawlish Sea Wall Pic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I'm glad the waves weren't that bad when I was on my Voyager down there last week! Must have been very frightening.

It does happen and when I have a turn to plymouth I just hope its nice! If bad weather now, we usually send a 57 down there as its bound to happen!

devon_metro

Established Member
Not as good as experiencing the real thing!

Massive waves, got near the sea and was drenched...

Trains coming into Teignmouth dripping wet with seaweed on them :D

The good old days :p

Gareth Hale

I wonder what its like been on a train bashed by high waves, id love to be on one oneday.

Coxster

Established Member
It's one of those pictures that you just wish Yorkie was doing heads-out in onboard LHCS ;)

Julian G

Established Member
ROFL!!
DFT
ban the Voyagers from going anywhere near the Dawlish Sea Wall,
Use the things called Intercity 125 and the 47s!!

Guinness

Established Member
I can picture a Pacer been hit by a wave, it would be completely crushed and thrown into the wall. :)

*Waits for the usual post about "DON'T HATE PACERS!!!" from a Mr X"

I've heard Network Rail are looking into a diversion route away from the Sea Wall as Climate Change happens. Just look at -15 C...
--- edited ---
Coxster said:
It's one of those pictures that you just wish Yorkie was doing heads-out in onboard LHCS ;)

He should be in a advert... "You've been Tangoed", ;)

Gareth Hale

That be so hillarius to see someone doing heads out and then bang, a 40ft wave crashes over the train!
--- edited ---
Chaz said:
I can picture a Pacer been hit by a wave, it would be completely crushed and thrown into the wall. :)

*Waits for the usual post about "DON'T HATE PACERS!!!" from a Mr X"

I've heard Network Rail are looking into a diversion route away from the Sea Wall as Climate Change happens. Just look at -15 C...
--- edited ---

He should be in a advert... "You've been Tangoed", ;)

Pacers can survive with a lot more than that, there is nothing wrong with these fine built british trains :D :angel5: Better than the stuff thats coming in from Japan is all I can say.

Jim

Established Member
There is NO evidence to SUGGEST that a Pacer would make it, after all, they have no turns in D&C, nearest youl'l normally fine a Pacer is Taunton

Sprog

Established Member
I havent laughed once in this thread!

Ok, the yorkie comment brought a slight grin, but really, you lot seem to have a bad habbit of turning something light hearted into a debate :banghead: :rolleyes:
The picture has been photoshopped and come one........if the weather was that bad do you think the voyager woud have made it to Dawlish :shock:. It would have ground to a halt just after Dawlish Warren instead ;)

THINDERBIRDS ARE GO!

tblogopic.jpg

Coxster

Established Member
Jim said:
There is NO evidence to SUGGEST that a Pacer would make it, after all, they have no turns in D&C, nearest youl'l normally fine a Pacer is Taunton
Didn't a 143 once do a Bristol to Penzance service? I seem to recall reading about it in RAIL?

Gareth Hale

Coxster said:
Didn't a 143 once do a Bristol to Penzance service? I seem to recall reading about it in RAIL?

O how I wish I could ride that route :( But the 142 is miles better :D

AlexS

Established Member
The Skippers used to work Cornwall anyway (were based at Laira) but they didn't take kindly to the curves, so got shafted up to the north instead.

As for a pacer taking a direct hit from a 40 ft wave, it should be fine, but I wouldn't like to try it!

For what it's like getting hit by a large wave: BOOOM roaaaar (fizzle STOP if you're on a Voyager). Great sound effects by yours truly eh.

devon_metro

Established Member
Chaz said:

That would most probably take the rough route of the Heathfield branch went from Newton Abbot, south of Dartmoor and the joined onto ML south of Exeter... The Voyagers would get stuck on the hills :lol:

Jim

Established Member
Coxster said:

Yes, but it was a nice day :P

Techniquest

Veteran Member
spm_43030 said:
I havent laughed once in this thread!

Ok, the yorkie comment brought a slight grin, but really, you lot seem to have a bad habbit of turning something light hearted into a debate :banghead: :rolleyes:
The picture has been photoshopped and come one........if the weather was that bad do you think the voyager woud have made it to Dawlish :shock:. It would have ground to a halt just after Dawlish Warren instead ;)

THINDERBIRDS ARE GO!

tblogopic.jpg

ROFL! Definately need them out sometimes!

Status
Not open for further replies.