• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Day out from Glasgow

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cheds

Hello - Cheds is new on here. I'm at a special needs school so my Dad has to help me with trains. I like the Settle Carlisle line, Worth Valley steam trains and sometimes big Pendolinos to Scotland. I hope we can give a few tips as well as get lots!

Dad is 55 later this month so can get a day rover special from Glasgow for the day starting early. Suggestions for a good day - probably involving a decent gap for a good lunch (maybe on the coast?) - would be great. Back in Glasgow by 8p.m.

Now here's our tip: West Riding refreshment rooms actually on Dewsbury station - coal fires and good real ale for Dad and juice for me!

thank you!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

From Glasgow you can travel up the West Highland line to Oban, Fort William or Mallaig. Not sure how the times work in terms of getting off for lunch and a wander and getting back on the return but have a look. I've only been as far as Oban on it but the line all the way to Mallaig always wins awards for being one of the most scenic in the world.

The Inverness line passes through some decent scenery north of Perth but it's nowhere near as nice as the one I mention above.

kylemore

One tip - many of the trains to the Clyde Coast connect with Ferries to the islands of the Firth(Estuary) of Clyde. The ferry fares would be extra to you're Strathclyde daytripper ticket but the fares are low.
How about a trip to Wemyss Bay where the historic station must surely be one of the most attractive and best preserved in the UK, ferries depart regularly from the combined rail/ferry terminal to Rothesay (30min) on the Isle of Bute, a historical old town with a huge moated castle at it's centre - lots of places to eat.
Back at Wemyss Bay head to Largs by bus (a 15min jny) where you can rejoin the rail network back to Glasgow or if you've time head down to Ayr - with spectaculer views over the sea to Arran.
Whatever you decide to do have a great day - the natives are friendly (mostly):)

PaxVobiscum

Established Member
Dad is 55 later this month so can get a day rover special from Glasgow for the day starting early.

Welcome, Cheds!

Before suggesting any particular trips, can I ask if your Dad has a Family and Friends Railcard? The reason I ask is that with this card, some trips can be even cheaper than with a rover ticket. He can buy a railcard online at a 20% discount off the usual £28 (paying £22.40) at http://www.familyandfriends-railcard.co.uk/halfterm until 14th March.

If you do a lot of rail trips it would soon pay for itself. My son and I recently travelled to London for £15.80, and we have been all over Scotland for very low cost.

For example, Inverness or Aberdeen day single on the 7th May (holiday) would cost him £9.30 outward and the same for the the return - £18.60 in total.

Not sure if you would get free on a Rover ticket for your Dad.

route:oxford

Established Member
Welcome, Cheds!

Before suggesting any particular trips, can I ask if your Dad has a Family and Friends Railcard? The reason I ask is that with this card, some trips can be even cheaper than with a rover ticket. He can buy a railcard online at a 20% discount off the usual £28 (paying £22.40) at http://www.familyandfriends-railcard.co.uk/halfterm until 14th March.

If you do a lot of rail trips it would soon pay for itself. My son and I recently travelled to London for £15.80, and we have been all over Scotland for very low cost.

For example, Inverness or Aberdeen day single on the 7th May (holiday) would cost him £9.30 outward and the same for the the return - £18.60 in total.

Not sure if you would get free on a Rover ticket for your Dad.

Always a good idea to get the F&F railcard.

Here is another good offer (with thanks to michael769 for the original posting):-

http://www.scotrail.co.uk/marchmadness

Depend on what you've done before, and you and your fathers ability...

So how about...

Glasgow to Stirling (visit Castle?)
Stirling to Dundee
Dundee to Leuchars (over Tay Bridge)
Bus to St Andrews (Late Lunch in St Andrews?)
Bus back to Leuchars
Leuchars to Edinburgh (Second time over the Forth)
Edinburgh to Glasgow

Cheds

Well, thanks for the welcome. We had thought of heading as afr north as possible (and we do have the family railcard)........... but didnt know about the scotrail march madness offer and wouldnt have thought about Wemyss Bay/Bute. Great!

Dad always taught me to say thank you!

kylemore

Well, thanks for the welcome. We had thought of heading as afr north as possible (and we do have the family railcard)........... but didnt know about the scotrail march madness offer and wouldnt have thought about Wemyss Bay/Bute. Great!

Dad always taught me to say thank you!

No probs Cheds, have a great day.
I'm a wee bit biased about Bute as I grew up on the island - I'll not say how long ago that was but I can remember when the trains from Wemyss Bay to Glasgow where Steam Trains!:)

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Before suggesting any particular trips, can I ask if your Dad has a Family and Friends Railcard?
A word of caution: we've not established if a F&F Railcard is suitable.

Some people count Year 12 & 13 as being still at 'school', and even if someone only counts up to Year 11 as being in school, and assuming they've not been brought down a year, they could still be 16 and a half years old which is half a year too old to count as a child under the terms of the Railcard.

Someone who was brought down a year, and in Year 13, could now be 19 1/2 years old* (if born early September*) and claim to be 'at school', depending on your definition of 'school' they may well be correct.

The key factor is that anyone travelling as a child under the terms of the Railcard must be aged under 16 on the day of purchase. They can turn 16 during the period of validity and still be eligible to child discounted tickets. But as we do not know if the OP is currently under 16 or not, we do not know if a F&F Railcard is suitable or not.

(* actually it's different for Scotland, so probably only 19 and 1/4 in this case)

Status
Not open for further replies.