• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Day out to weymouth

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmu fan

Off to Weymouth from cam and Dursley tomorrow. Been told on a previous discussion it should be diagrammed 2x 165 on the 0800 service and a 166 return on 1723.
Not been on these units before. Class 158 2 years ago. Do either of them have any table seating to try and aim for, if so which carriage? Thankyou.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

D6975

Established Member
On a 166 go for the ends, declassified 1st with tables.

Oh well. Could have been my first time 1st class!

It didn't look overly exciting like you were missing much on the going threadbare one I had Torquay to Paignton yesterday. A table maybe, but not the type of first class of old.

ChilternTurbo

It didn't look overly exciting like you were missing much on the going threadbare one I had Torquay to Paignton yesterday. A table maybe, but not the type of first class of old.
I had a similar experience around 3 years ago travelling between Oxford and Worcester Foregate Street on a 166 in the declassified first class section. It was pretty grim to be honest and I almost felt like wiping my feet when getting off the train!

Oh well. Could have been my first time 1st class!
Unless you have real concerns about social distancing, I would personally save my money...

Taunton

Established Member
The morning services from Bristol to Weymouth at this time of year and especially at weekends are commonly full and standing. Time was when it was a Class 47 with up to 9 coaches. It would be disappointing if travelling staff, who must be very few if any, have taken a whole compartment for themselves at this time. Couldn't they use the intermediate cabs? Social distancing only for staff, not for passengers?

ChilternTurbo

The morning services from Bristol to Weymouth at this time of year and especially at weekends are commonly full and standing.
Fair enough, then it probably is worth you while. I do remember the HST 'Weymouth Wizard' was also a great train to mitigate against over crowding.
It would be disappointing if travelling staff, who must be very few if any, have taken a whole compartment for themselves at this time. Couldn't they use the intermediate cabs? Social distancing only for staff, not for passengers?
I had this on a GWR IET last year when I got turfed out of the front first class carriage and into a much busier section as two staff were sat in there. I do appreciate keeping staff safe but it seemed a bit OTT...

dmu fan

How busy were the trains yesterday you were on?

Fair enough, then it probably is worth you while. I do remember the HST 'Weymouth Wizard' was also a great train to mitigate against over crowding.

I had this on a GWR IET last year when I got turfed out of the front first class carriage and into a much busier section as two staff were sat in there. I do appreciate keeping staff safe but it seemed a bit OTT...
Yeah I loved the Weymouth wizard on the way back. Not fun going down on a 158.standing all through at Yeovil Pen Mill.

Gloster

Established Member
Back in the early 1980s the Weymouth Wizard was a peak-summer extra that ran from Swindon via Melksham to Weymouth, returning in the late afternoon after stabling at Weymouth. It ran Monday to Thursday as it used one of the loco-hauled sets that were used on the weekend West of England reliefs. At least one of the regular morning DMU workings from Bristol was made up to as many vehicles as possible, usually six or seven; most of these would be left at Weymouth for the afternoon return.

JohnRegular

Was on a morning Weymouth service last Saturday from Westbury- GWR did a good job running extra trains in the morning (3 services between 10 and 12 compared to the usual 1tp2h) and though not heaving the 2 x 2car 165 we were on was far from full. No tables though!

Didn't seem to be any extra services in the afternoon though, not a quiet return journey in any sense of the word, but it was a 158 so proper tables.

How busy were the trains yesterday you were on?

It was the 1357 from Exmouth according to the timetable and 1515 at Torquay but not remotely close to full. Lots of empty bays and the rest with mostly just single passengers. Nothing for anyone worried about busy trains to get unsettled over that's for sure. Bearing in mind though that it was probably the quieter part of the day as we were just using it as a quick transfer to the neighbouring resort.

dmu fan

Didn't get to Weymouth last Friday. I was unable to get places booked via the internet on the services i wanted to do our day out. Services full.

ValleyLines142

Established Member
How long has this been the case because I travelled early May and the declassified 1st class was open.
It's been like it since the start of the pandemic. I think it is absolutely ludicrous. Saying that, 166217 had it's declassified First Class section open.

Frankly, 32 seats (16 in each end) do not need to be blocked off for 1 member of staff.

Status
Not open for further replies.