• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Day Ranger?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sandisk

Hello,
I am booked on the 0607 train from Totnes to Reading. When i get to reading i literally have to run from plat 5 - plat 4 to catch my next train. Will i be able to buy an Oxfordshire Day Ranger from Totnes station ticket office or from the train manager on the train to Reading? (i have tickets to reading).

Thanks

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Hello,
I am booked on the 0607 train from Totnes to Reading. When i get to reading i literally have to run from plat 5 - plat 4 to catch my next train. Will i be able to buy an Oxfordshire Day Ranger from Totnes station ticket office or from the train manager on the train to Reading? (i have tickets to reading).

Thanks
All ticket offices are bound to sell any normal NR product, including Rovers and Rangers, so Totnes should sell it. Unfortunately some staff struggle to issue day rangers that they are not familiar with so it may be the case that they can't do it due to lack of training. I've heard of 'bashers' instructing ticket office staff/guards on how to issue rovers, rangers, excesses and PlusBus tickets before!

In theory you can also buy on board, but some TOCs refuse to do so on the basis that they are not obliged to sell tickets for a journey commencing after you have finished on that train (or whatever their reasoning is). If the ticket office is unable to issue it, then I'd argue that they should issue it on board, but I am not sure if there is a rule that says they must. Certainly if you were staying on the same train and using that ticket on that train, they'd have to sell it if the ticket office was shut or unable to do so, but in your case I really am not sure.

sandisk

All ticket offices are bound to sell any normal NR product, including Rovers and Rangers, so Totnes should sell it. Unfortunately some staff struggle to issue day rangers that they are not familiar with so it may be the case that they can't do it due to lack of training. I've heard of 'bashers' instructing ticket office staff/guards on how to issue rovers, rangers, excesses and PlusBus tickets before!

In theory you can also buy on board, but some TOCs refuse to do so on the basis that they are not obliged to sell tickets for a journey commencing after you have finished on that train (or whatever their reasoning is). If the ticket office is unable to issue it, then I'd argue that they should issue it on board, but I am not sure if there is a rule that says they must. Certainly if you were staying on the same train and using that ticket on that train, they'd have to sell it if the ticket office was shut or unable to do so, but in your case I really am not sure.
Thanks.
And talking about lack of training, surely the Reading ticket office should know what an Oxfordshire Day Ranger is, however last time i got one from the rdg office, i had to explain to the man about 4 times what i wanted, then when he finally understood what i wanted.. he asked me how i planned to get from RDG to Oxford:| So because i was quite fustrated already by having to explain so many times, i said to him "Well, i'm going to go through those ticket barriers over there, then i plan to get on a train that goes to DIDCOT PARKWAY, how else do you think im going to get there.. get a taxi:roll:"

t0ffeeman

Has training at Reading gone so far downhill since Intercity days? The last time I bought a Devon Rail Rover there it took about 10secs, the same as a normal CDR. No barcodes or anything!:D

dan_atki

Established Member
The thing that gets me here is that on the computerised systems they're not really all that hard to issue!

Take a Fujitsu STAR for instance (used by about 6/7 operators including FGW!) and there is a 'Rover/Ranger' button on the front screen or at least under the 'Other' menu. Once on there it is a case of typing in the part of the name of the rover and selecting it from a list of search results.

The operator then gets a list of fares for that rover (full price, YP, DIS, SNR, PRV, Child etc)* in the form of buttons. Clicking on one of those then adds it to the 'basket' like any other ticket which they can then issue as they do with singles/returns...

*This is different to single/returns. To apply a discount to one of those you select the ticket and choose the discount from a menu.

When I wanted a discounted rover he added the full priced one and tried to subsequently discount it which it wouldn't allow so had to go back to the list to find the already discounted choice to issue instead.

All in all it took him about 3-4 minutes to do which I didn't think was bad considering! Just a case of getting on the rover screen then it's self explanatory from there...

eos

Once on there it is a case of typing in the part of the name of the rover and selecting it from a list of search results

Sounds easy , until you get to a 'Coasts and Peaks' Rover, when its on the system as 'csts&pks' - just which bit of 'coasts and peaks will give that apart from 'c'...

dan_atki

Established Member
Sounds easy , until you get to a 'Coasts and Peaks' Rover, when its on the system as 'csts&pks' - just which bit of 'coasts and peaks will give that apart from 'c'...

I'm under the impression the full name is in the system.

I purchased a Freedom of Severn and Solent (a 'FOSS' in other words!!) and it was found by typing in 'Severn' so assume 'Coasts' will find the Coasts and Peaks (any STAR operators that can confirm?).

As it was in a travel centre I could watch how it was issued - hence my steps above!.

sandisk

Thanks for the info, the man at totnes found the ticket on the pc after about 20 mins.
Can day rangers be purchased from a ticket office for the following day? thanks

glynn80

Established Member
Can day rangers be purchased from a ticket office for the following day? thanks

The only restriction that was previously in force was with regard to "Rover" tickets:

NFM 95 said:
Rover tickets should not be issued more than 3 days in advance (5 days for Telesales and Internet bookings). The Scotland Rovers listed below are exempt from this rule.

There was never any mention that "Ranger" tickets were subject to the above restriction and even if they were, it seems the restriction has been rescinded, as there is now no mention of any advance buying restrictions to Rovers in the new FRPP (Online Staff Manual).

Zamracene749

Was sold a tyne tees ranger by a lass at Durham a few months back with the the stern admonishment- "but it's not valid from Durham you know".......

janb

I know what you mean as trying to issue various Blackpool addons has caused headaches (bpool, blckp..., bpl...) in the past.

However if it is indeed abbreviated, and/or don't known the name, then searching with a blank search term brings up the full list to page through.

STAR is very easy to use.

Status
Not open for further replies.