• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

day travel card

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just like to double check before I buy london zone travel card

Was recomended the 1~6 day travel card for the route I would like to travel for the day on some of my favorite trains (class 315, 317 and 321) and I looked at the london transport website and looked at the map and I saw a 1~9 day travel card but like to double check if I buy the 1~9 day travel card would that take me futher out of london?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
Crews Hill or Hadley Wood on the FCC Great Northern Out of Kings X/Moorgate
Enfield Lock/Turkey Street/Enfield Town/Chingford/Harold Wood on NXEA
Elstree and Borehamwood on FCC Thameslink (Midland Mainline towards Bedford)

Last edited:

Flamingo

Established Member
That reminds me - I had someone a few weeks ago looking for a ticket to Watford Junction from Paddington (zone 1). It was marked as "special fare" on my tube map, and the Avantex was being difficult. In the end, rather than selling them the wrong thing, I advised them to buy it at Paddington.

What is the "special fare"?

iphone76

If you wish to travel on NXEA's 321s during the week, the furthest you will get from Liv St with a 1-6 travelcard is Romford as they then run fast to Shenfield which is outside the zones. On a Sunday, you can get as far as Harold Wood using the Southend Victoria services.

lemonic

If travelling from Liverpool Street to Romford, there are generally 2 trains an hour (Monday-Saturday off peak) that run non-stop from Stratford to Romford.
xx:13 from Liverpool St to Southend Victoria (always 321)
xx:38 from Liverpool St to Colchester Town (normally 360 but sometimes 321)

In the other direction:
xx:28 from Romford to Liverpool St (originates Colchester town, normally 360 sometimes 321)
xx:53 from Romford to Liverpool St (originates Southend, always 321)

Note that during peak times on weekdays there may be no 321's which stop at Romford as the only services from Liverpool St to Romford are 315's on the slow 'electric' lines.

You may also want to check out the Romford-Upminster branch which is now booked for 317's but sometimes has 315's or 321's on it instead.

Its mostly the class 317 i'm coming down for because the the routes for the class 318 oot as good anymore because the class 380 took over and the class 318 are an old favorite trains of mine but routes for them are not the same now so thats why i'm takin a trip down south to spend a day or 2 on simular wersion of ny favorite trains from glasgow specially the class 317 so and look like I wont get a good run on them with ny zone card so what would be the best route for me to have a good run on a class 317

Sorry if i'm asking to much here

W-on-Sea

Established Member
That reminds me - I had someone a few weeks ago looking for a ticket to Watford Junction from Paddington (zone 1). It was marked as "special fare" on my tube map, and the Avantex was being difficult. In the end, rather than selling them the wrong thing, I advised them to buy it at Paddington.

What is the "special fare"?

It's in a notional "zone" of its own (W) - the only approximate equivalent are the c2c stations outside Greater London in zone G (Grays, but also Chafford 100, Ockendon, Purfleet).

I understand (as a punter, not staff, so I could well be wrong!) that the way to get an (Avantex) machine to sell you a travelcard that permits access to those zones is to sell it as a Travelcard FROM Watford Junction (or Grays, etc) to Zones 1-6. Although, presumably, unlike usual out-boundary travelcards, this wouldn't restrict you to just one return journey between the end of Zone 6 and Watford Junc/Grays. Actually now I think of it I've heard the same is true for the stations in zones 7-9 on the Met line/Chiltern Railways, unless you buy them actually at the station concerned.

As to if you can get a Travelcard from Watford Junc/Grays that also lets you go into Zones 7,8,9...hmm..probably not I guess? well, it'd be cheaper on Oyster PAYG in any case, almost always.

(Although it must be said that the fares to Watford Junction on Oyster are even more confusing than any others)

Flamingo

Established Member
Ok, I never thought of doing it that way, although of course it would work...

Thanks! :D

edited to add - I#ve just realised, the outward journey must be done before the return journey, so it wouldn't work, would it...

Last edited:

SouthEastern-465

Established Member
Just like to double check before I buy london zone travel card

Was recomended the 1~6 day travel card for the route I would like to travel for the day on some of my favorite trains (class 315, 317 and 321) and I looked at the london transport website and looked at the map and I saw a 1~9 day travel card but like to double check if I buy the 1~9 day travel card would that take me futher out of london?

Try a Class 465 whilst your down! :D

theblackwatch

Established Member
Aye could go for a run in that but I hope they no like the class 334 witch is the worst train I ever being on

334s are nothing like 465s - they are a different generation of train! The 465s were built to a BR specification by ABB/Metro Cammell in the 1990s.

Well end of the day if I have a bash on trains that we dont get in scotland its something to tell my pals that if you go down south you should try this

W-on-Sea

Established Member
Ok, I never thought of doing it that way, although of course it would work...

Thanks! :D

edited to add - I#ve just realised, the outward journey must be done before the return journey, so it wouldn't work, would it...

Well, as I said I'm only a punter, but my understanding is that, because these are *fully* zonal tickets (ie Zones W+9+8+7+(1-6)), rather than a usual out-boundary ticket + travelcard, that is a legitimate way of issuing those tickets , and possibly the only way.

If that is correct, there would thus be no need for the outward journey to be done first, either, as well as there being no restriction on the number of journeys you could make between Hatch End and Watford Junction. All of which is rather different from a ticket including a travelcard issued from outside the zones entirely.

I'd be interested if you (or anyone else who can find out such things) can confirm this is so! But that is certainly my understanding of the situation.

Doing this was certainly the only way that a travelcard including Amersham could be bought from an NR station in the past, and may well still be so.

island

Veteran Member
I think a WFJ-Zones 1-6 travelcard will be retained by the barriers at WFJ when you leave.

Flamingo

Established Member
Well, as I said I'm only a punter, but my understanding is that, because these are *fully* zonal tickets (ie Zones W+9+8+7+(1-6)), rather than a usual out-boundary ticket + travelcard, that is a legitimate way of issuing those tickets , and possibly the only way.

If that is correct, there would thus be no need for the outward journey to be done first, either, as well as there being no restriction on the number of journeys you could make between Hatch End and Watford Junction. All of which is rather different from a ticket including a travelcard issued from outside the zones entirely.

I'd be interested if you (or anyone else who can find out such things) can confirm this is so! But that is certainly my understanding of the situation.

Doing this was certainly the only way that a travelcard including Amersham could be bought from an NR station in the past, and may well still be so.

I'll ask one of the revenue guys when I'm back in work (on a few days off), and get back with what the answer is.

SouthEastern-465

Established Member
Well end of the day if I have a bash on trains that we dont get in scotland its something to tell my pals that if you go down south you should try this

I'm doing quite the oposite, I'll be heading up to Scotland in August and will try out the Class 380s, and 334s.

I think in the last post you got 465s confused with 458s, the latter being a 'Juniper' unit too. :)

Enjoy the travelcard, its well worth it and is valid to 04:00am the next day, if you want to stay out that late! :lol:

Zoe

Established Member
I asked about this before and was told that the ticket you describe from Watford Junction allows unlimited travel in zones 1 to 9 plus ONE return journey from Watford Junction to zone 9. I was also informed that the Watford Junction barriers will retain the ticket when you return. I doubt London Midland want people having unlimited journeys for a day from Watford to London.

If you buy a strathclyde day tripper witch is £10.20 and you can do both of they trains best routes for class 380s are ayr, waynss bay and if you get the 25 past services to gurock
334s mostly do loco service from glasgow centrol low level along with the class 318s
And same with glasgow queen street low level with the class 320 but if you get the edinburgh services think your day tripper is limited to bathgate but not sure

tony_mac

Established Member
Nobody seems to know for sure about Watford Junction.

On Oyster PAYG, it definitely seems that unlimited journeys are allowed.
If you buy a LU travelcard including Watford Junction then that never gets swallowed.

But a travelcard bought at Watford Junction does get taken by the barriers.
I suspect that is because of the way the ticket and barriers are programmed rather than a deliberate decision.

Zoe

Established Member
If you buy a LU travelcard including Watford Junction then that never gets swallowed.
That would be pointless though as that wouldn't allow you to return from Watford Junction. The NR ticket allows at least one return journey. I'm not sure what the barriers would do if you tried to use an LU travelcard to exit at Watford more than once though.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I suspect that is because of the way the ticket and barriers are programmed rather than a deliberate decision.
Or it could be that the ticket only allows one return journey from Watford Junction to zone 9.

Last edited:

tony_mac

Established Member
That would be pointless though as that wouldn't allow you to return from Watford Junction.
Why not? It's a travelcard 'including' Watford junction; at least according to TfL.
I'm not sure what the barriers would do if you tried to use an LU travelcard to exit at Watford more than once though.
As far as I can remember, the LU ticket does not work the barriers at Watford Junction at all, even the first time, so that isn't an issue.

Or it could be that the ticket only allows one return journey from Watford Junction to zone 9.
even though it is the same price as the Oyster price cap, allowing multiple journeys?
As I said, I suspect that this was not a deliberate decision, but obviously it is a possibility or we wouldn't be having this discussion.

Zoe

Established Member
Why not? It's a travelcard 'including' Watford junction; at least according to TfL.
What I'm saying is that it would be pointless for the barriers at Watford Junction to retain an LU issued travelcard as you would have no way of returning to the zones and it would simply be a single ticket. It would need to at least allow one return journey to Watford Junction.

tony_mac

Established Member
Yes, of course, sorry for the misunderstanding!

I have made multiple journeys before with a tfl travelcard, and I'm sure there is no problem with Oyster, so why should the nr travelcard be any different, when they are all the same price?

I suppose it would be nice if we could get london midland or tfl to clarify; but I wouldn't be surprised if they gave different answers!

class156

Its mostly the class 317 i'm coming down for because the the routes for the class 318 oot as good anymore because the class 380 took over and the class 318 are an old favorite trains of mine but routes for them are not the same now so thats why i'm takin a trip down south to spend a day or 2 on simular wersion of ny favorite trains from glasgow specially the class 317 so and look like I wont get a good run on them with ny zone card so what would be the best route for me to have a good run on a class 317

Sorry if i'm asking to much here

Is there a reason you don't go and use them on the Glasgow Central Low Level servicies? A trip to Lanark from there is my favourite as going down part of the WCML in a screaming 318 is very good :D.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I doubt London Midland want people having unlimited journeys for a day from Watford to London.
I'm not sure what relevance this has?

I could say "I doubt London Midland want people having unlimited journeys for a day from Bushey to London", but if I did say that, it would be completely meaningless, whether it's true or not...

Status
Not open for further replies.