• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Day trip from Edinburgh

Status
Not open for further replies.

SwindonPkwy

I will be in Edinburgh with my wife and daughter in early August. Can anyone recommend a day trip by rail as I do not want to hire a car. Ideally, the trip would include some nice scenery and a circular route with one or two stops would be ideal.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

scotsman

Established Member
It really depends how far you want to go, how early you want to leave and how much you want to spend! Fill me in on these details and I'm sure I can help, as I live and work just over the river in Fife.

SwindonPkwy

I would anticipate leaving after 9am and returning quite late is not a problem. Around £30 per adult. My knowledge of Scottish railways is poor, hence my thread. As for distance, 1 to 1.5 hours each leg? I hope I haven't set an impossible task.

rail-britain

Established Member
Possibly day return to either Perth or Dundee
Going to Dundee in the morning would allow both the Forth and Tay rail bridges
Going to Perth would allow just the Forth Rail Bridge
You can then return via Stirling, having visited either destination, and visit the Castle
Depending on the weather you could do this in either direction

caliwag

See the 'under-rated' journeys thread on general discussion...As part of round trip, I'd go to Perth via Ladybank (rather than Stirling)...if it's a clear day, it's an excellent trip. Perth is compact place for a walk about...the river Tay tumbles through the edge of the City...if walking is your thing Kinnoull Hill is worth the effort (picnic from M+S at the top!!!)...Perth has a good tourist office. If the shops interest you, John Street, George Street around St John's Kirk are all elegant (developed about the same time as Edinburgh new town in late 1700s)...Church well worth a visit as is The Fair maid's house.
To extend up the Highland line...you could pop to Pitlochry (Dunkeld could be good for walks on a reasonable day...bit of a walk from Birnam station though...you do need the weather).

As part of a circle...as suggested, return via the Stirling line, with Stirling castle.

Personally I'd give Dundee a miss...but there is the Tay bridge and the line through the Carse of Gowrie on the North bank of Tay is pretty enough.

Have a good day though...rain? Perth has some good pubs!!

SwindonPkwy

Many thanks caliwag and rail-britain, that sounds just the job. I am hoping for some fair weather but will be prepared just in case.

Established Member
Somewhere on the Fife Circle line, such as Burntisland. Supposed to be good for fish and chips.

scotsman

Established Member
Somewhere on the Fife Circle line, such as Burntisland. Supposed to be good for fish and chips.

There's only three places I'd consider on the Fife Circle - Dalmeny, Aberdour and Dunfermline (Town). Burntisland is a wee town with a brilliant beach and a (big, but crappy) fairground. It has little else of note, including the chippies.

South Queensferry proper is 10mins down the hill from Dalmeny (17 mins from Edinburgh), it has a nice old high street, fish and chip shops, boat trips and views of the Forth Rail Bridge.

Aberdour (30 mins via Dalgety Bay) has a castle (partially ruined) next to the station, lots of wee artisan shops, two fantastic beaches 20 mins from the station and an excellent bakers shop.

Dunfermline Town (30 mins via Rosyth) is a big town in West Fife. Must visits are Dunfermline Abbey, the Abbot House and Pittencrieff Park. On exiting the station, walk straight up the hill through the park, cross the footbridge at the top and walk down the High Street - takes around the 15 minutes. Also, as of next Tuesday (10th July) it has a Wetherspoons halfway down the High Street.

chris89

Established Member
If you're stuck, there's always Glasgow (4? routes) :D

Especially via Bathgate and Airdrie as a nice new line for most of it :) Then return via Queen Street High Level via Falkirk High for another route back with 170's instead off 334s.

As others have side, Fife Circle, Dundee or Perth for the same reasons as Rail-Britain.

Chris

scotsman

Established Member
Especially via Bathgate and Airdrie as a nice new line for most of it :) Then return via Queen Street High Level via Falkirk High for another route back with 170's instead off 334s.

As others have side, Fife Circle, Dundee or Perth for the same reasons as Rail-Britain.

Chris

Fife Circle isn't what I'd consider 'scenic' - sure, there's some nice scenery between some of the stops, but not really 'scenic'

Ditto for Airdrie-Bathgate, any scenic qualities somewhat cancelled out by the 'delights' of the east end

chris89

Established Member
Fife Circle isn't what I'd consider 'scenic' - sure, there's some nice scenery between some of the stops, but not really 'scenic'

Ditto for Airdrie-Bathgate, any scenic qualities somewhat cancelled out by the 'delights' of the east end

True Airdrie-Bathgate is a lot less scenic then the line via Falkirk High. Just recommend due to being one of the newest rail projects in the complete country. Also biased since use it a lot when up in Scotland.

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.