• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Day trip from York to London

Status
Not open for further replies.

SamS

I'm looking to go to London from York (or POP for free delivery) on Tuesday 11th of August.

I'm wanting to do a 90 minute Palace of Westminster tour (need to arrive at least 30-45 minutes before for tickets and security) followed by Afternoon Tea at Claridges at 3:30 (already booked - approx 2 hours).
I quite fancy I trip on the Emirates airline too but not sure how to fit it in (done London Eye & River Cruise before) after 7pm it's an extended 30 minute round trip, but not sure whether it'd be cutting it fine to get back to KGX.

I'm taking a relative for their birthday.

I already have a Two Together Railcard in preparation for the trip.
I have a combi AmEx/Visa card from MBNA which are both contactless, can one of us use the AmEx and the other the Visa? Or is that frowned upon due to the same name on both cards (and they're both registered to my TFL account).

Having not been to London since 2003 I don't know how easy it is to get around.
I was just after some advice about my plans and travel within London, any comments/help appreciated.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

James Wake

Can you tell us please Sam what time you are due to arrive at KGX and when your tour of Westminster is, I would try and get the Airline done either before Westminster or after Westminster, but then again depends on what time you need to get a train back from KGX.

SamS

Hi James, I haven't booked any trains yet as they haven't been released - the only thing I've booked is Claridges.

Bevan Price

Established Member
You will find it easier & probably cheaper to get a one day travelcard, rather than pay as you go.:

http://visitorshop.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/london-travelcard/

Even off-peak underground services can be heavily loaded in central London. Always allow plenty of time to travel around London. I would aim to get to pre-booked events at least 15 to 30 minutes before the booked starting time.

SamS

Thanks, I thought PAYG was capped and this cap was lower than the cost of a daily travelcard? Perhaps I misunderstood.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Yes contactless/oyster PAYG cap is slightly cheaper than a paper Day Travelcard

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
A few things to note:

A Two Together Railcard isn't valid until 0930 so the earliest train you could get from York is at 0931, arriving into Kings Cross at 1142. You could get Advance tickets on an earlier train (if you can get some at a price you're willing to pay) but you won't be able to use the railcard.

The Parliament tour takes around 90 minutes so I'd go for a tour at 1300. This should give plenty of time to get from Kings Cross to Parliament (Victoria Line to Green Park, then Jubilee to Westminster should take no more than 20 minutes).

Claridges is near Bond Street so take the Jubilee Line from Westminster to Bond Street (it's only a couple of stops and should take no more than 10 minutes).

After Claridges take the Jubilee Line from Bond Street to North Greenwich. You'll be doing this but in the height of rush hour so it'll be busy but you'll easily get there before 1900.

Take your trip on the Emirates Airline. Let's say you leave North Greenwich at 2030 you'll be back at Kings Cross around 2115 (Jubilee to London Bridge, then Northern Line to Kings Cross).

The last train from Kings Cross to York is at 2200, arriving at 0038. I have been reasonably conservative with my timings so you could probably make the 2100 from Kings Cross, arriving at 2309, although bear in mind that I am a seasoned traveller and know where I'm going as I travel across London.

For travelling around London I'd buy two One Day Travelcards with your Two Together Railcard. These will cost £7.90 each and I suspect is the cheapest way given the number of underground journeys you'll be making.

Bevan Price

Established Member
Yes contactless/oyster PAYG cap is slightly cheaper than a paper Day Travelcard

Can you still buy (paper) One Day Travelcards at stations outside the London area ? If you can, buying them at York is probably easier than joining a (often long) queue at a London terminus.

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Can you still buy (paper) One Day Travelcards at stations outside the London area ? If you can, buying them at York is probably easier than joining a (often long) queue at a London terminus.
Yes, this is possible.

SamS

A few things to note:

A Two Together Railcard isn't valid until 0930 so the earliest train you could get from York is at 0931, arriving into Kings Cross at 1142. You could get Advance tickets on an earlier train (if you can get some at a price you're willing to pay) but you won't be able to use the railcard.

The Parliament tour takes around 90 minutes so I'd go for a tour at 1300. This should give plenty of time to get from Kings Cross to Parliament (Victoria Line to Green Park, then Jubilee to Westminster should take no more than 20 minutes).

Claridges is near Bond Street so take the Jubilee Line from Westminster to Bond Street (it's only a couple of stops and should take no more than 10 minutes).

After Claridges take the Jubilee Line from Bond Street to North Greenwich. You'll be doing this but in the height of rush hour so it'll be busy but you'll easily get there before 1900.

Take your trip on the Emirates Airline. Let's say you leave North Greenwich at 2030 you'll be back at Kings Cross around 2115 (Jubilee to London Bridge, then Northern Line to Kings Cross).

The last train from Kings Cross to York is at 2200, arriving at 0038. I have been reasonably conservative with my timings so you could probably make the 2100 from Kings Cross, arriving at 2309, although bear in mind that I am a seasoned traveller and know where I'm going as I travel across London.

For travelling around London I'd buy two One Day Travelcards with your Two Together Railcard. These will cost £7.90 each and I suspect is the cheapest way given the number of underground journeys you'll be making.

Many thanks for the very in depth post Hadders, you've answered all of my questions and some I hadn't even thought of.
I needed someone that knew what they were doing in London to give me some advice and you've done that.

At the moment the prices the week before are approx £110 first class return for 2 on the trains that you've mentioned which is perfectly acceptable.

I've attached a screenshot the the travel card I found (I think it's the same one you mentioned), can I check that although this is off peak it'll be valid for travel during the evening peak from Bond Street to Greenwich? If this is the correct one I'll add it on when I buy the tickets.

Claridges say it takes 2 hours so we'll be finished there by 5:30, if we then head to Greenwich is there anything to do in the interim before the longer night flights start on the Air Line? I suppose I could book the experience too - will look into that.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-05-17 at 18.17.23.png
    Screen Shot 2015-05-17 at 18.17.23.png
    44.9 KB · Views: 20

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
That's the travelcard you need! Valid after 0930 on trains, tubes and buses in Zones 1-6 during the evening peak so no problem using it to get to North Greenwich in the evening peak.

The Emirates Airline terminal at North Greenwich is next to the o2 which has several restaurants and bars.

An alternative way of getting to North Greenwich from Claridges is to take the Thames Clipper river boat from Embankment to North Greenwich (take the Jubilee Line from Bond Street back to Westminster and Embankment is just round the corner).

It takes about 50 minutes and costs £4.75 if you have a Travelcard (£7.15 if you don't). If you've got time I'd do it as you get to see so much as you go along the river.

http://www.thamesclippers.com/route-time-table

SamS

Thanks once again :).
I will have a think about the Thames Clipper, even booking the 2200 train back I'm concerned about getting back to Kings Cross!
I will definitely be booking the trains you have suggested when they go on sale (think it's Tuesday), do you know what time they're released by VTEC?

Went on a ramble here, sorry!
TFL suggests 25 mins to get back to Kings Cross from Greenwich. So if we took the 1828 boat towards the O2 arriving approx 1920, then the return trip on the airline takes 30 mins - I guess using these timings we'd be back at Kings Cross by 2100 at the latest.
Just a shame the 1st lounge shuts at 2125, else I might have paid to sit in there until the train was due.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
TFL suggests 25 mins to get back to Kings Cross from Greenwich. ...
Sounds about right.

But the last valid connection from Greenwich into the 2100 is departing Greenwich at 2002, so if you want to depart Greenwich any later than 2002 on an Advance ticket, you'd need to book the 2200 from Kings Cross if you want to be covered in the event of delays.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
do you know what time they're released by VTEC?
Friday is likely.

SamS

--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Thank you to all of you for your help and advice, I've now booked Advance 1st on the 09:31 and 22:00. I've also got 2 off peak travelcards.

Could you any of you tell me if this itinerary is do-able?
The timings are taken off TFLs plan a journey section.

09:31 – 11:42 Train journey, YRK -> KGX

11:59 – 12:12 Tube (KGX/STP -> Westminster)
6 mins Victoria line to Green Park Underground Station
2 mins Jubilee line to Westminster Underground Station

12:30 – 14:30 Collect tickets and security - Parliament tour

15:01 – 15:04 Tube (Westminster -> Bond Street)
3 mins Jubilee line to Bond Street Underground Station

15:30 – 17:30 Claridges

17:45 – 17:55 Tube (Bond Street -> Embankment)
4 mins Jubilee line to Westminster Underground Station
1 min District line to Embankment Underground Station

18:28 – 19:18 Boat trip - Embankment - North Greenwich (The O2)

20:00 – 20:30 Emirates Airline

20:58 – 21:22 Tube (Greenwich to KGX/STP)
(Also 21:00, 21:03) 8 mins Jubilee line to London Bridge Underground Station
10 mins Northern line to King's Cross St.Pancras Underground Station

22:00 – 00:18 Train journey, KGX -> YRK

I feel like I'm over planning here, but because everything on here is booked for a set time I don't want to miss any of the things I've paid for.

Last edited:

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I think the biggest risk to your schedule is the train into Kings Cross being late, you could probably get away with a delay of 15-20 minutes and just about be okay but anything longer than that and it'll be very tight.

You've got control over exactly what time you leave Claridge's and you could always get the tube to North Greenwich in lieu of the boat. Coming back from North Greenwich you should have ample time (although do check to see if there's anything big on at the o2 that evening and make sure you're on the tube before it finishes!)

I think the biggest thing to appreciate is that it will be a very long and tiring day, particularly if you're not used to travelling. Think about where and when you're going to eat, you'll probably want to get something at lunchtime and you'll need something at North Greenwich, depending on how substantial the fare on offer at Claridge's is!

telstarbox

Established Member
Although the timings for the Underground are accurate remember to allow walking time e.g. 3-4 minutes to change at Westminster, 3 minutes to get from the street to platform at Bond Street.

After Claridges, when you return to Bond Street I'd suggest walking down to the front of the platform as the train should be less busy at that end and you stand more chance of getting a seat.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.