• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Day Tripper Whole of Yorkshire

Status
Not open for further replies.

Butts

Veteran Member
Hi All,

I am visiting Ripon next week arriving on a train into Northallerton and departing from York (to and from Scotland)

Bus travel from Northallerton to Ripon and then onto York required.

Is there a one day bus ticket that will be valid for the above journeys?

Thanks !!!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

mikeg

Established Member
Ha! Forget it...

North Yorkshire has one of the most fragmented messes of a bus 'system' I have ever seen and a council who don't seem to be prepared to facilitate anything. Trust me, I lived there until just under a year ago. Oh and a day ticket on Fails and District cost £9.50 (!) last time I checked. Look at their timetables and judge for yourself its value. But if you're returning from Ripon to Northallerton, it's the most appropriate ticket. Why a return from Thirsk to Ripon cost £7.60 when I last did that journey nearly two years ago. Expect a single to be six quid or so.

Though if you arrive early enough, the 170 bus by John Smiths is operated by a coach (albeit usually a clapped-out one) and is significantly cheaper and a more direct journey to boot. I used to take it regularly, you just may feel a bit awkward as all the other passengers tend to be kids going to Ripon grammar school.

Last edited:

Butts

Veteran Member
Ha! Forget it...

North Yorkshire has one of the most fragmented messes of a bus 'system' I have ever seen and a council who don't seem to be prepared to facilitate anything. Trust me, I lived there until just under a year ago. Oh and a day ticket on Fails and District cost £9.50 (!) last time I checked. Look at their timetables and judge for yourself its value. But if you're returning from Ripon to Northallerton, it's the most appropriate ticket. Why a return from Thirsk to Ripon cost £7.60 when I last did that journey nearly two years ago. Expect a single to be six quid or so.

Though if you arrive early enough, the 170 bus by John Smiths is operated by a coach (albeit usually a clapped-out one) and is significantly cheaper and a more direct journey to boot. I used to take it regularly, you just may feel a bit awkward as all the other passengers tend to be kids going to Ripon grammar school.

Ok, thanks.

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
Sadly not. If you were heading north into Arriva territory then there would be the Explorer North East, but since Arriva basically pulled out of North Yorkshire there isn't a multi-operator ticket except on the Dalesbus services. http://www.dalesbus.org/

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
Sadly not. If you were heading north into Arriva territory then there would be the Explorer North East, but since Arriva basically pulled out of North Yorkshire there isn't a multi-operator ticket except on the Dalesbus services. http://www.dalesbus.org/

For the services concerned, there hasn't been a ticket to cover that since 1996 when United closed it Ripon depot and sold the operations to Blazefield. At that point, Explorer North East ceased to be valid south of Ripon (except for some form of "grandfather rights" on the 36 and 56 that oddly existed for a while).

The Ripon to Northallerton has been Arriva NE and then Proctors. The Ripon to York has been through various hands (i.e. TransdevBlazefield, Eddie Brown, Arriva Yorkshire, Connexions)

NorthernSpirit

Established Member
The only day tickets that North Yorkshire has is on the Dalesbus operation, the new Moorsbus network and around the Selby area operated by Arriva. Elsewhere around the county has nothing.

For the East Riding of Yorkshire you have a toss up of the Go Anywhere which is valid on EYMS or the Dayrider which is valid only on Stagecoach. South Yorkshire has its Travelmaster ticketing range and West Yorkshire has its Rover range.

Outside of Yorkshire, the following counties have their own day explorer tickets, you've got the Derbyshire Wayfarer, the Wiltshire Day Rover and Sussex has the Discovery.

No idea if Somerset, Hampshire, Dorset and the Isle of Wight have their own.

Last edited:

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
The only day tickets that North Yorkshire has is on the Dalesbus operation, the new Moorsbus network and around the Selby area operated by Arriva. Elsewhere around the county has nothing.

For the East Riding of Yorkshire you have a toss up of the Go Anywhere which is valid on EYMS or the Dayrider which is valid only on Stagecoach. South Yorkshire has its Travelmaster ticketing range and West Yorkshire has its Rover range.

Outside of Yorkshire, the following counties have their own day explorer tickets, you've got the Derbyshire Wayfarer, the Wiltshire Day Rover and Sussex has the Discovery.

No idea if Somerset, Hampshire, Dorset and the Isle of Wight have their own.

Somerset doesn't. Neither does Dorset. Hampshire has the Go Solent ticket available on the following operators in Southampton, Portsmouth, Winchester and places in between but not Andover or Aldershot.

Bluestar
Emsworth & District*
First Hampshire
Stagecoach South
Unilink
Wheelers*
Xelabus*

Southern Vectis run virtually all the IOW services so not a problem with their rover ticket.

CUBA (counties that used to be Avon) have multi operator tickets (all Avon or local to each of the main towns). Devon also has a multi operator ticket though First don't participate even though they operate to Tiverton and Axminster and the X52 to Exeter

SCH117X

Established Member

Transdev do a Day Ticket valid on their services across North Yorkshire, West Yorkshire and Lancashire (and into Greater Manchester) - £9 Day Tripper which is valid on all services except Coastliner east of York and a £15 Day Tripper Plus valid on all services including Coastliner east of York.

Dales & District have already been mentioned - their day rover is £9.

higthomas

One of the best multi-operator tickets is the aforementioned South Downs discovery ticket. At £8.50 for most operators in Surrey, Sussex, Kent and Hampshire it is pretty good.

Butts

Veteran Member
Transdev do a Day Ticket valid on their services across North Yorkshire, West Yorkshire and Lancashire (and into Greater Manchester) - £9 Day Tripper which is valid on all services except Coastliner east of York and a £15 Day Tripper Plus valid on all services including Coastliner east of York.

Dales & District have already been mentioned - their day rover is £9.

Thanks for all the tips.

I will be getting the No 70 from Northalleron to Ripon - anyone got any idea how much the fare will be - less than a £9 Dales and District dayrover I take it.

After I will be catching a Transdev service 36 from Ripon to Harrogate again hopefully the fare will be less than Transdev Daytripper. I will be getting a Train from Harrogate to York. Could these two journeys be combined by any sort of Rover ?

SCH117X

Established Member
Thanks for all the tips.

I will be getting the No 70 from Northalleron to Ripon - anyone got any idea how much the fare will be - less than a £9 Dales and District dayrover I take it.

After I will be catching a Transdev service 36 from Ripon to Harrogate again hopefully the fare will be less than Transdev Daytripper. I will be getting a Train from Harrogate to York. Could these two journeys be combined by any sort of Rover ?

No such rover. Ripon to Harrogate single is around £6. Contact the operators to confirm
http://www.harrogatebus.co.uk/contact-us.jsp
or tweet @harrogatebus

and for Dales and District
http://www.procterscoaches.com/contact-us/
or tweet @Dalesdistrict

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
Could these two journeys be combined by any sort of Rover ?

Nope, it would be two single tickets.

Is your ticket home from Harrogate? If not, and if you don't have an overwhelming urge to go to Bettys, then the Transdev 22/23 from Ripon to York might be cheaper than the fare on the 36 plus the train fare Harrogate-York.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member

Is your ticket home from Harrogate? If not, and if you don't have an overwhelming urge to go to Bettys, then the Transdev 22/23 from Ripon to York might be cheaper than the fare on the 36 plus the train fare Harrogate-York.

Might be more of an overwhelming urge to sample the new(ish) vehicles on the 36 - something I must get round to doing at some point.

SCH117X

Established Member
Might be more of an overwhelming urge to sample the new(ish) vehicles on the 36 - something I must get round to doing at some point.

You need to make certain you have a choice of two or three workings as otherwise you can almost guarantee one of the old ones (3613 or 3614) turns up instead.

Butts

Veteran Member

Thanks for the tip, I failed to notice the 22/23 "Little Explorer" - is it a proper sized Bus. I will be able to catch this from Ripon to York.

Deerfold

Veteran Member

Butts

Veteran Member

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Thanks, do you reckon it would be less than £9 if I go direct from Ripon to York ?

And what is an MPD please ? (from post before)

I cant be sure, but I'd be surprised if it was much more than £6 at worst.
@yorkbus on twitter should be able to tell you.

Stan Drews

Established Member
There are three of them; the daily PVR for the 22/23 is 3 so its not usual to find a substitute which if not another of the same type (in white or black livery) will be a larger vehicle.

One of the Little Explorers was over in Burnley depot today, quite possibly ahead of annual test, so there will be at least one sub on the 22/23 each day, until it returns back across the Pennines.

Butts

Veteran Member
Well I got my Bus Services okay.

The 70 from Northallerton to Ripon was £6.10 single.

Strangely the 22 from Ripon to York was only £4.40 although it seemed a longer journey. It careered around the Countryside picking virtually no one up after leaving Ripon, only 1 passenger in Boroughbridge.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Well I got my Bus Services okay.

The 70 from Northallerton to Ripon was £6.10 single.

Strangely the 22 from Ripon to York was only £4.40 although it seemed a longer journey. It careered around the Countryside picking virtually no one up after leaving Ripon, only 1 passenger in Boroughbridge.

Probably because the 70 is commercial whereas the 22/3 are tendered and NYCC specify the fares

SCH117X

Established Member
The 22/23 are not tendered. NYCC were going to turn them over to their own minibuses with the Ripon-York service cut back to the Poppleton Park & Ride site and the Ripon/Boroughbridge-Knaresborough services operating via an interchange at Staveley. Transdev took them on instead merging the 56, 142 and 143 together to form the 22/23 with more journeys from three vehicles than NYCCs tendered arrangement had while the 57 Boroughbridge-Knaresborough has been merged with Transdevs 1A with some journeys serving certain villages and other journeys the rest. Suppose its possible that NYCC are contributing some funding equivalent to that they were going to spend on the minibuses. There is however changes now on VOSA effective 28 August to the timetable and route of the 22/23.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
The 22/23 are not tendered. NYCC were going to turn them over to their own minibuses with the Ripon-York service cut back to the Poppleton Park & Ride site and the Ripon/Boroughbridge-Knaresborough services operating via an interchange at Staveley. Transdev took them on instead merging the 56, 142 and 143 together to form the 22/23 with more journeys from three vehicles than NYCCs tendered arrangement had while the 57 Boroughbridge-Knaresborough has been merged with Transdevs 1A with some journeys serving certain villages and other journeys the rest. Suppose its possible that NYCC are contributing some funding equivalent to that they were going to spend on the minibuses. There is however changes now on VOSA effective 28 August to the timetable and route of the 22/23.

They're commercial??!!! Good lord - brave of Transdev. The 56/57 have been tendered since dereg! The 142/3 was a bit more mixed but think they've been tendered for the last 20 years or more. Remember that United had 5 year old Olympians running around there to meet tender age requirements when their commercial routes elsewhere had stuff twice as old!!

Thanks for putting me right. I'd never have thought it.

Stan Drews

Established Member
They're commercial??!!! Good lord - brave of Transdev. The 56/57 have been tendered since dereg! The 142/3 was a bit more mixed but think they've been tendered for the last 20 years or more. Remember that United had 5 year old Olympians running around there to meet tender age requirements when their commercial routes elsewhere had stuff twice as old!!

Thanks for putting me right. I'd never have thought it.

I can assure you that apart from a few "placing journeys" the 22/23 (and their predecessors) are NOT commercially operated by Transdev.
The recent change, that saw the 56/57 and 142/3 become the 22/23, was a result of NYCC needing to make some further budget savings, which was achieved by reducing the PVR from 4 to 3.

SCH117X

Established Member
I can assure you that apart from a few "placing journeys" the 22/23 (and their predecessors) are NOT commercially operated by Transdev.
The recent change, that saw the 56/57 and 142/3 become the 22/23, was a result of NYCC needing to make some further budget savings, which was achieved by reducing the PVR from 4 to 3.

The 57 did not become part of the 22/23, other that the part of the route shared by some workings with the 56. The PVR for 56 was 1 and 2 for the 142/143 so no vehicle savings. NYCCs proposed savings were to turn them over to Minibuses. Concensus elsewhere is that the 22/23 are a Transdev invention not down to NYCC, who incidentally at short notice set up a demand responsive service to cover the 23 exclusive route due to the limited service provided by Transdev.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Some light may be shed by a post from the former operator of the 56 and 57.

http://www.connexionsbuses.com/uncategorized/service-56-and-57

Connexxions said:
Posted on December 3, 2015

It is with regret that we have had to cease operating the Services 56 and 57 with effect from 23rd November 2015. The services are being provided to their current timetable by Transdev. We took the decision to do this because we are suffering from a shortage of drivers – and wouldn’t have been operating them after April 2016 as North Yorkshire County Council wanted us to do the same as we are now for £10,000 per year less than now. We took the view that we couldnt pay our staff what we wanted, or invest in the fleet if this was the case.

We hope that you understand and thank you all for your custom.

That would suggest the routes receive some funding - or at least were expected to.

The 57 was subsumed into the 1A service.

http://www.harrogatebus.co.uk/news.jsp?newsID=1696

Last edited:

SCH117X

Established Member
Connexions news story was not entirely correct; they gave in running the 57 a few weeks earlier to that due to a driver shortage and York Pullman filled in before Transdev took over on Dec 7- photo on Flickr
Also Transdev started operating the 56 on 16 November. Takes something for an operator to announce they are not running a service a week later than they last did but that's Connexions for you. They also axed a couple of am peak journeys on the X1 around the same time due to driver shortage.

Status
Not open for further replies.