• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Daytime train only from London to Copenhagen - realistically possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TSR :D

Obviously this means getting up really early in the morning, but is it still possible?

This is what I got from searching across the internet:

From London, arriving at Brussels using Eurostar at around 10am.
From Brussels, to Hamburg arriving around 5pm with 1-2 changes using IC/ICE trains.
Then finally, a train from Hamburg at around 5:30pm arriving at Copenhagen at around 10:20pm, I think this train is the last one before it changes over to CNL trains.

Is it even possible to get less than 100EUR 200EUR return on this journey?

EDIT: Realising DB journey planner exists, so I proceeded to use it and got the same results but it doesn't yield any prices for this journey, why does this happen?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Oscar

Fares Advisor
The DB website normally only gives prices for journeys starting or finishing in Germany (the DB Amsterdam - Kobenhavn CNL is an exception) - try splitting the journey at Köln, Hamburg or indeed Puttgarden. The cheapest option would be a 59 € London-Spezial from London St. Pancras to Puttgarden and a 19 € Dänemark-Spezial from Puttgarden to Kobenhavn H, if those prices are available of course. The total would therefore be 156 € for a return, or around £130-135. Try a date in February and you will probably find these fares. London-Spezial fares start at 59 € to anywhere in Germany. If the 59 € fare is available to Köln, it will probably be available to anywhere in Germany, but if the fare to Köln is higher (e.g. 79 €), the fare to other stations is likely to be higher (e.g. 99/109/119 €). The fares from Puttgarden to Kobenhavn H start at 19 €, fares from Hamburg start at 29 € and fares from Köln/Aachen start at 39 €.

Last edited:

TSR :D

The DB website normally only gives prices for journeys starting or finishing in Germany (the DB Amsterdam - Kobenhavn CNL is an exception) - try splitting the journey at Köln, Hamburg or indeed Puttgarden. The cheapest option would be a 59 € London-Spezial from London St. Pancras to Puttgarden and a 19 € Dänemark-Spezial from Puttgarden to Kobenhavn H, if those prices are available of course. The total would therefore be 156 € for a return, or around £130-135. Try a date in February and you will probably find these fares. London-Spezial fares start at 59 € to anywhere in Germany. If the 59 € fare is available to Köln, it will probably be available to anywhere in Germany, but if the fare to Köln is higher (e.g. 79 €), the fare to other stations is likely to be higher (e.g. 99/109/119 €). The fares from Puttgarden to Kobenhavn H start at 19 €, fares from Hamburg start at 29 € and fares from Köln/Aachen start at 39 €.
Wow, thanks. I wasn't expecting it to be less than 200EUR since that's what I paid for airline tickets before.

I don't know a lot about German rules regarding to trains but I'd assume it is similar one to here, so if any of train during my journey is either delayed or cancelled, I would expect to be accommodated but, what happens if I split a ticket?

EDIT: Looks like it's not possible to do the return, especially when first train of the day from Copenhagen arriving at Hamburg at 12:15pm and latest train possible to London from Hamburg (With changes catching the last Eurostar train from Brussels) is 12:01pm.

Last edited by a moderator:

Veteran Member
The ticketing rule is the same in the event of delay, and split tickets are OK (best buy at the same time, then it's obviously a through trip).

As you note, for the return an overnight stop is called for (which doesn't have to be the same place as you split your ticket, as London Special and ES Denmark both allow breaks of journey. Personally, I'd break my journey both ways, and opt for doing one of them by the train-ferry and one via the slower all-rail route via Flensburg and the Great Belt bridge.

Your option for doing the return overnight is the CNL sleeper to Cologne (or to Frankfurt, if you want a couple of hours extra sleep and aren't in a hurry).

Another option, almost certainly cheaper than an overnight hotel and slightly quicker, is to use the overnight Harwich-Hoek van Holland ferry with a "Dutchflyer" ticket (£75 including single-berth cabin).
Onward, you need to split on the German border with a ticket from Hengelo to Bad Bentheim for EUR 12 and one from Bad Bentheim to Copenhagen for EUR 39 (and up, depending how far in advance you book), so that's about £120/EUR135 each way.

As always, see http://www.seat61.com/Netherlands.htm.
Unfortunately, the new site https://loco2.com/ doesn't (yet) produce the day London-Copenhagen train or fare.

Status
Not open for further replies.