• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

DB and compensation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Polrail

I recently did a return trip Berlin-London-Berlin on Sparpreis Europa tickets. There were some problems en route, and I am considering putting in claims, but I'm not sure I'm eligible:

Problem 1: My travel to the UK was via Köln and Brussels, with an overnight in Brussels. The ICE 10 from Köln to Brussels left Köln nearly 2 hours late due to a technical problem, and reached Brussels with the same delay. However, since my ticket was through to London (with an overnight in Brussels), is DB just going to say "well, you reached your destination on time!"?

Problem 2: On the IC from Amsterdam to Berlin, the air-conditioning failed shortly after leaving Amstrerdam, making for an uncomfortable journey. Is this a "claimable event"?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Spoorslag '70

I don't think they have to compensate you. If you have the time go for it and with a bit of luck you might get something, but don't be disappointed if not. "Servicecenter Fahrgastrechte" is quite unpredictable.

gordonthemoron

Established Member
I claimed when a DB ICE broke down between Cologne and Brussels resulting in a two hour delay, didn't receive any compensation

HantsExile

Last May I travelled from Hannover to Leipzig by DB. The train was 2 hrs late leaving Hannover due to an earlier level crossing incident. En route I perused the DB website and discovered that I could obtain their equivalent of delay repay by visiting the Leipzig station travel centre on arrival. We were just over 2 hours late into Leipzig. I approached the travel centre with some trepidation as my German is limited. The customer service advisor was very helpful, confirmed my train's delay via her computer, opened up her cash drawer and gave me a full refund in euros. Result!

Veteran Member
I would put in a claim for Berlin-Brussels. I think they will work on the basis on the delay to the DB journey, as the ticket itself doesnt name a specific ES.
That said, they declined a claim on a Bad Schandau-London last year where my overnight in Frankfurt was cut short...though they did refund two unused reservations.
For the aircon, unless the Fahrgastrechteformular covers such circumstances, I'd just put in a general complaint.

dutchflyer

Established Member
@1.unpredictable-as above. Both visions may be followed-final delay 0 or midway delay.
@2.this happens very often and in very hot wheather even to the extent that the whole train does not run in NL-with maybe a very short trainset as alt. for 8-9 DB-cars. Also failing of the electr. seat-reservations system happens often.
It never hurts to mail DB and state this awful state of ''service'' or whatever you feel fit to describe. The best you can hope for is a 5, maybe 10€ discount voucher for any future trip whithin 3/6 monthes, booked online. You can sell these for around 50% of their worth via the german e-bay.de, if you feel the trouble of handling this is worth it to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.