• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

dB apprenticeship trainee drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.

baz962

Established Member
On indeed website
B Cargo (UK) is now looking for new recruits to begin an exciting career within the UK’s largest rail freight company. We strongly believe in our people, providing them with the skills, experience and support to develop and be successful. Collaboration is central to our culture and we regard this approach as vital to the growth of our employee’s and the DB Cargo (UK) business. Working for DB cargo (UK) provides many rewards but at times can also be a challenging experience that requires new and creative solutions to consistently deliver to our key clients. In return we offer our employee’s an excellent benefits package, rewards, and most of all respect. We strongly recognise that our success depends on our diversity, talent, skills and experience.
Responsibilities
The Junior/Trainee driver apprenticeship role is a key part in our future growth plans. The driver apprenticeship is an opportunity to receive a recognised qualification in train driving that is recognised throughout the industry and endorsed by the Institute of Railway Operators and the Chartered Institute of Logistics and Transport.
The talent pool offers individuals an opportunity to register their interest in developing a career within our organisation. DB Cargo is creating the Junior/Trainee driver talent pool in readiness for our increased business plans. The talent pool process includes sitting an assessment plus interview and should you be successful you will be entered in to our talent pool for a 12 months period.

Junior/Trainee Drivers main duties and responsibilities include:

Train driving within a designated yards and terminals achieving the
European Train Driving License Part A certification

Becoming competent in location safe methods

Be fully compliant and understand the train driver rules

Be responsible for all freight train working regulations, personal track safety and traction knowledge

All locomotive preparation

Locomotive fueling

Basic locomotive fault finding

Control of train movements from the ground and the locomotive

Use of IT systems
Qualifications
You will need to be a hard-working and a committed individual who has the desire and passion to succeed and start a career within the freight rail industry. In return you will be working towards becoming a qualified Train Driver and beginning your journey within the freight industry. Your progress and success will be down to you but we will support you along the way. You will be assessed in respect of competency, safety, service and attendance along the way.

Our selection criteria for becoming a Junior Driver

Be at least 21 years of age

Have completed at least 9 years education (primary and secondary)

Hold a GCSE grade C or above in Math’s and English, you will be required to provide evidence of this via qualification certificates prior to assessments

Pass a psychometric assessment

Pass a relevant Medical including Drug and Alcohol testing conducted via an approved provider

Have a good understanding of English to level B1 of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR) established by the Council of Europe

Hold a full UK current and valid road vehicle driving license (for manual vehicles)

You must not have taken and failed the Train Driver assessment within the last 6 months

You must not have taken and failed the Train Driver assessment twice before

Not have defective colour vision or had laser eye surgery

You live within a one hour commuting distance from your desired Hub location

Please note that if you do not meet ALL of the above criteria your application will not be shortliste

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ComUtoR

Established Member
As predicted. GCSE Maths and English added to the recruitment criteria. "!$"$£!£$'ks

michael74

If db are using the Apprenticeship Levy to fund this, then I think its the Levy that dictates the entry criteria.

Joliver

As predicted. GCSE Maths and English added to the recruitment criteria. "!$"$£!£$'ks
Most will follow suit as they're all going towards an apprenticeship qualification (NVQ) at the end of training. I got lucky, my TOC didn't require you must have the grades etc, as they put us through a course to gain the equivalent. They probably will in the future though. Plus it's another way of sifting.

ComUtoR

Established Member
It's just about the money. Our TOC doesn't currently require Maths and English but I am certain that they will in the future. I'd agree that its just become another way to sift candidates.

ComUtoR

Established Member
1) it doesn't ask for GCSE grades

It is clearly part of the criteria.

If you click the Indeed link and expand the qualifications criteria on the DB site it also reiterates the criteria. It is worth noting that :

https://jobs.deutschebahngroup.care...um=organic&utm_campaign=Indeed&idOrigine=1522
Please note that if you do not meet ALL of the above criteria your application will not be shortlisted.

Stigy

Established Member
I believe all apprenticeships require grades A to C in maths and English. However, if you don’t have them at entry, you’re often allowed to obtain these (there’s a scheme whereby you can do equivalent tests to get these grades?).

This seems to be a new approach for DB Cargo, unless they’re also still recruiting the conventional ‘trainee drivers’ too? When I applied for a JD position there was no mention of it being an apprenticeship. I know they have also just renewed their application portal too, which is much easier to use and is more than just a word document now.

UPS1550

I believe all apprenticeships require grades A to C in maths and English. However, if you don’t have them at entry, you’re often allowed to obtain these (there’s a scheme whereby you can do equivalent tests to get these grades?).
I did a plumbing & heating apprenticeship in 2006 and yes you needed GCSE grade C or above, if not you had to complete a "life skills" Course as well, completely out of order making people do unnecessary courses but thats what were all coming to sadly:rolleyes:

Numbnuts846

I wonder what the pay for this is ? Also no mention of locations , the last email I got from db cargo in respect of drivers positions I applied for was that everything was on hold and they would keep my details on file .

Stigy

Established Member
I did a plumbing & heating apprenticeship in 2006 and yes you needed GCSE grade C or above, if not you had to complete a "life skills" Course as well, completely out of order making people do unnecessary courses but thats what were all coming to sadly:rolleyes:
When I started my apprenticeship in vehicle mechanics back in 1999 you just needed to have an aptitude for the job....Or a pulse.

Numbnuts846

I wonder what the pay for this is ? Also no mention of locations , the last email I got from db cargo in respect of drivers positions I applied for was that everything was on hold and they would keep my details on file .
Just found the location..... dam early turns catching up with me

Stigy

Established Member
I’ve just had a look at their website and see there’s a lot of talent looks for roles at DB Cargo at the moment, is this because of a big contract they expect to get or something? Seem to be a lot more vacancies than there have been previously...

Twotwo

Wanted to apply but my 6 months (failed an mmi) is up end of next month.

UPS1550

Anyone know if it's ok to apply for more than 1 location? Interested in both Cornwall & Cambridge locations

UPS1550

When I started my apprenticeship in vehicle mechanics back in 1999 you just needed to have an aptitude for the job....Or a pulse.
Half the class I'd have kicked out the door on day 1, some people just aren't Capable of independent thought

tiptoptaff

Established Member
Looking on the website, it appears they're all of the Junior Driver grade, ie their yard-only drivers.

Quite a rang of locations though.

Stigy

Established Member
Looking on the website, it appears they're all of the Junior Driver grade, ie their yard-only drivers.

Looks like both potentially as it says Junior/Trainee Driver? Seems like Eastleigh/Westbury isn’t there, which were depots where they froze recruitment after I had my DMI/SAM interview for JD. I guess the Mendip contract or lack of, still renders this the case.

I’m glad now though as it’s worked out for the better for me anyway of course.

ROCsteadycrew

Anyone know if it's ok to apply for more than 1 location? Interested in both Cornwall & Cambridge locations

I'd like to know this too if anyone can help? Also what's the best way to do it if allowed - Just apply for two positions separately using the same account?

tiptoptaff

Established Member
Looks like both potentially as it says Junior/Trainee Driver? Seems like Eastleigh/Westbury isn’t there, which were depots where they froze recruitment after I had my DMI/SAM interview for JD. I guess the Mendip contract or lack of, still renders this the case.

I’m glad now though as it’s worked out for the better for me anyway of course.
I think it's all Junior Driver as is specifically mentions driving within designated yards

Stigy

Established Member
I think it's all Junior Driver as is specifically mentions driving within designated yards
Maybe then. However I seem to recall there being similar confusion on other campaigns for drivers at DB Cargo where they just used the job description for Junior Driver, even for mainline driver and vice versa.

Marx

So what about all us if waiting in the talent pool at the moment after the recent recruitment drive ... no word from DB about whether we are going to be offered jobs but now they are advertising for apprentice drivers ... crazy

Stigy

Established Member
So what about all us if waiting in the talent pool at the moment after the recent recruitment drive ... no word from DB about whether we are going to be offered jobs but now they are advertising for apprentice drivers ... crazy
Call them Monday morning mate.

Atishyou

Not all locations have Junior Drivers. Some do, some don't. Those that do, going forward, I understand, are recruiting mainline drivers via the Junior role first, so if you want to move to mainline, you'd have to be a junior first.

tiptoptaff

Established Member
Not all locations have Junior Drivers. Some do, some don't. Those that do, going forward, I understand, are recruiting mainline drivers via the Junior role first, so if you want to move to mainline, you'd have to be a junior first.
Does Newport have them?

tiptoptaff

Established Member
Not sure if I'm honest, I'll see what I can find out.

If it doesn't have them now, it may do in the future.
Cheers - seems like the ideal place to have them, with ADJ shunts straddling the reliefs, and the odd tripper along the Uskmouth branch

Status
Not open for further replies.