• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

dB apprenticeship trainee drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

JMH77

Hi all,

I too have been invited for the assessment day on July 15th in Doncaster. Is that the same for you guys?

Yep same day as me. Only had time to quickly scan through the practise material but nothing I wasn't expecting. 3 weeks to practise...

GLENMAYE77

I applied for this on the 8th of June, I heard back from them inviting me to an assessment day on the 18 of June, which included all the tests in the morning and then a MMI in the afternoon. Thankfully I passed everything and now I’m just waiting for a confirmation letter in the post. I applied for the Peterborough depot, I understand they’re doing a depot at a time, for my assessment day there was just 3 of us and it was very laid back.

Have you had your manager interview yet?

ForestRail

Yep same day as me. Only had time to quickly scan through the practise material but nothing I wasn't expecting. 3 weeks to practise...
Got my date through on Friday, I'm booked in for the 18th. Time to blitz the practice material!

MA8141

I applied for the Newport depot and had my invite for 17th July. Bit of a trek from South Wales but hopefully will be worth it in the end !

This is my first crack at it as well...

the stripler

Got accepted for Mossend.
However, declined the offer.

All I'd say guys is research the job and company before giving up your current position

MA8141

Got accepted for Mossend.
However, declined the offer.

All I'd say guys is research the job and company before giving up your current position
What’s the put off from here ? Around my parts it’s a good to be place with the steel works close by so a few locals working there etc...

the stripler

What’s the put off from here ? Around my parts it’s a good to be place with the steel works close by so a few locals working there etc...

For me, it was the pension....or rather a lack of.
I spoke to a few guys in the role already, and was told theres a lot of guys trying to get out.
I currently work for a toc already, so perhaps my position is different to guys trying to get into the role.

anglian96

I spoke to a few guys in the role already, and was told theres a lot of guys trying to get out.
I currently work for a toc already, so perhaps my position is different to guys trying to get into the role.
The new pension won't affect new starters lol we was given 3 options and all 3 were really good. If you were already part of db when the new pensions came into place then yes it worked out around an extra £100.00 per month. All I'm saying is don't listen to current people on pensions as its irrelevant to you

MA8141

The new pension won't affect new starters lol we was given 3 options and all 3 were really good. If you were already part of db when the new pensions came into place then yes it worked out around an extra £100.00 per month. All I'm saying is don't listen to current people on pensions as its irrelevant to you
It’s the same as where I’m at, currently on the newer BT pension which is still a good one but nothing compared to ‘the good old days’. As time goes on, perks become lower so it’ll still be a winner what ever it is !

anglian96

It’s the same as where I’m at, currently on the newer BT pension which is still a good one but nothing compared to ‘the good old days’. As time goes on, perks become lower so it’ll still be a winner what ever it is !
Exactly mate. I'm happy at db and the pension is still good. Alot of perks working for them to which people won't realise until your in the company

Atishyou

Interested how that put you off, when the consultation period has literally finished today and no decisions have been made!

Funny how I don't know of anyone trying to get out either...

the stripler

My application was put forward by an agency on my behalf. The role above advertised for apprentice/junior drivers, db approached my agency for a mainline driver.
I was invited straight to interview.

Are you suggesting im making it up Atishyou?

Im just suggesting that train driving is a great option providing you know the details of the contract your offered.

Just because you dont know anyone who wants to leave, does not mean there is not anyone!!!! Or do you know every Freight driver in the country!!

casualdav

I recievd the following email:

Good Morning

Thank you for showing an interest in joining the DB Cargo Talent pool

Just to update you on the progress off your application

We are still working through the applications we received and completing initial checks

We also have several areas that we need to target first, which is based on the businesses requirements.

Please remain patient and we will endeavor to update you further regards your applications progress in the near future

Kind Regards

DB Cargo's Recruitment Team

Wba0986

Good Morning

We are still working through the applications we received and completing initial checks

We also have several areas that we need to target first, which is based on the businesses requirements.

Please remain patient and we will endeavor to update you further regards your applications progress in the near future

Kind Regards

Dav I've had the same email and last week also.

Andrew Ford

Good Morning

Kind Regards

Had this one this morning (applied for Didcot).
I’m going to see what happens, but I’m lucky to have an offer from GWR

Atishyou

Are you suggesting im making it up Atishyou?

Just because you dont know anyone who wants to leave, does not mean there is not anyone!!!! Or do you know every Freight driver in the country!!

I'm suggesting you're exaggerating the bit about the Pension, because nothing has been decided. Unless you've been in the discussions and haven't told us about it yet?

It sounded like you're scaremongering.

You don't work for DB, so aren't affected by the Pension at present, but you're telling people that you've rejected an offer and to research the company based on spurious conversations you've had with 'numerous DB drivers' who are 'trying to get out', especially due to the 'lack of' a pension, which is just not true, as there will still be pensions to choose from.

I'm on a forum with at least half of them, so yeah I know more drivers than you and apart from the odd grumbles, nobody is shouting to leave.

It totally depends on your situation currently. If someone has a final salary pension, then yes, they need to do their research on the pension. If someone doesn't currently pay into a pension, then any of the options likely to be offered will be better than nothing.

UTC123

Pension Talk

Hi Atishyou,

Not wanting to take this off topic too much but I am interested to hear more about the pension situation. Have DB closed the final salary pension to new starters or has nothing been decided yet? What is the new pension that is being offered?

As I said, don't want to take this too much off.topic but I am currently in a DB Talent Pool have my raised my interest for these new vacancies too.

Thanks for any information you have.

Atishyou

Hi Atishyou,

Not wanting to take this off topic too much but I am interested to hear more about the pension situation. Have DB closed the final salary pension to new starters or has nothing been decided yet? What is the new pension that is being offered?

As I said, don't want to take this too much off.topic but I am currently in a DB Talent Pool have my raised my interest for these new vacancies too.

Thanks for any information you have.

Nothing has been decided at the moment, the consultation has just finished yesterday, so we're waiting on financial advice and the final outcome. That's what's irked me so much about some members warding people off the job.

If you want to drive trains and don't currently work in the industry, or the grade, this job is a great way to join the driving grade, with a view to mainline driving in the future.

MA8141

Has anyone been on one of these since the recruitment campaign closed ? If so, any feedback from the day ? Pointers etc ?

Status
Not open for further replies.