• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

DB cargo Groundstaff question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bucephalus

Hi, I have an assessment for groundstaff (mobile operative) coming up soon and I was wondering if anyone already does this job or knows about it:

https://uk.dbcargo.com/rail-uk-en/o...oundstaff-positions-3530360?contentId=1926516

My current work aren't too keen on me going to the assessment despite being under the same umbrella company so I would like to get an idea of what I could be getting in to. The idea of working for a FOC does appeal to me I must say

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Atishyou

It's train preparation, Inc shunting (movement of wagons), brake tests, checking wagons are safe and loaded correctly.

Depending on the location, there's also discharging wagons.

Bucephalus

Thanks Atishyou. It's the north kent location and I'm gonna go for it. Even though I'll almost certainly have to pay back my £2000 training bond if successful, I think it is still worth trying.

f1nch26

Hi, I've been invited to an assessment day on the 5th April, but cant make that day as I'm going away for a few days. Has anyone else ever had this problem, and have they been able to arrange another day? I was informed that it's pretty much a one time thing so if I cant go, that's it

Bucephalus

Hi, I've been invited to an assessment day on the 5th April, but cant make that day as I'm going away for a few days. Has anyone else ever had this problem, and have they been able to arrange another day? I was informed that it's pretty much a one time thing so if I cant go, that's it

I couldn't go to mine because my employer wouldn't honour the day off (still in training). I've been kept on file with DB so probably that's it until the job comes up again

Stigy

Established Member
They said the same to me when I was invited for interview for a JD role. I went in the end because it meant too much to me to risk losing out (I had a meeting at work I’d ordinarily not be able to avoid....). As my luck would have it, they interviewed me only to freeze recruitment afterwards! :)

Stigy

Established Member
Can anybody advise on specific locations? The advert says “locations to include....” which suggests the list isn’t exhaustive? I’ve put a form in for Eastleigh but I’m not holding my breath they will be recruiting at that location?

f1nch26

They said the same to me when I was invited for interview for a JD role. I went in the end because it meant too much to me to risk losing out (I had a meeting at work I’d ordinarily not be able to avoid....). As my luck would have it, they interviewed me only to freeze recruitment afterwards! :)

It's a tough decision to make, if they can't rearrange the date for me, I'm going to have to consider changing flights etc, paying extra for other charges, and I'd lose a day of my holiday!

Stigy

Established Member
It's a tough decision to make, if they can't rearrange the date for me, I'm going to have to consider changing flights etc, paying extra for other charges, and I'd lose a day of my holiday!
I know. I don’t think I’d have been able to do it for something important like a holiday haha. My missus would have killed me. Work on the other hand...o_O

f1nch26

I know. I don’t think I’d have been able to do it for something important like a holiday haha. My missus would have killed me. Work on the other hand...o_O

I could get another flight the next day, but we're only away for 3 nights! I'd pay to do it another day, it's just a shame they've only arranged one day for it!

Stigy

Established Member
I could get another flight the next day, but we're only away for 3 nights! I'd pay to do it another day, it's just a shame they've only arranged one day for it!
That’s what I liked about GWR, they gave a few possible dates. Good way of doing things but I guess it’s a captive audience and they won’t lose sleep if someone can’t attend.

Dan_Gleeballs

I have recently applied for this role in Nottingham, does anyone know what sort of shift patterns they work each week?
Good morning, you been successful in getting a job ? I start with DB in April as a mobile operative too for the Cambridgeshire hub, based in Mountsorrell. Was told it’s 3 “instances” a week but a maximum of 6 with 1 night shift it looks like. All the best

Roulstone

Good morning, you been successful in getting a job ? I start with DB in April as a mobile operative too for the Cambridgeshire hub, based in Mountsorrell. Was told it’s 3 “instances” a week but a maximum of 6 with 1 night shift it looks like. All the best
Hi, thanks for replying. I haven’t got the job yet, I’ve only just applied and was interested to find out how they worked. Cheers.

Roulstone

I hadn’t noticed the spelling! I was just surprised that Mountsorrel was worked through Cambridge? Because I live just above Loughborough.

Dan_Gleeballs

I hadn’t noticed the spelling! I was just surprised that Mountsorrel was worked through Cambridge? Because I live just above Loughborough.
I was very surprised too ! I applied for east mids mobile operative, was told I am in the Cambridgeshire hub which includes Leicestershire and my base in Mountsorrel , chuffed to have the chance to do something I’ve always wanted to do , and it be close to home (Leicester) for me.when they said it’s actually for Cambridgeshire hub I was ever so slightly concerned to say the least ! Am not sure how they work out the locations though.

Roulstone

I was very surprised too ! I applied for east mids mobile operative, was told I am in the Cambridgeshire hub which includes Leicestershire and my base in Mountsorrel , chuffed to have the chance to do something I’ve always wanted to do , and it be close to home (Leicester) for me.when they said it’s actually for Cambridgeshire hub I was ever so slightly concerned to say the least ! Am not sure how they work out the locations though.
Surprising hey! Good luck for your new job

Tug 62

Dan - if you are based at Mountsorrel then you are in the East Midlands Hub (Nottingham Station, Cliffe Hill Stud Farm, Leicester Station, Mountsorrel, Toton Yard/TMD). The Cambridgeshire Hub is Peterborough Station/Peterborough yard. Hope this helps.

Dan_Gleeballs

Dan - if you are based at Mountsorrel then you are in the East Midlands Hub (Nottingham Station, Cliffe Hill Stud Farm, Leicester Station, Mountsorrel, Toton Yard/TMD). The Cambridgeshire Hub is Peterborough Station/Peterborough yard. Hope this helps.
Thanks for the info , it’s all a little bit strange as the job was for east mids, however my contract states Cambridgeshire hub and when I checked the DB handbook, and it states Cambridgeshire hub was Peterborough and Ely which I thought , okay maybe I would be based at Peterborough which not ideal for commuting, I would still grasp with both hands. I contacted DB , who stated Leicestershire comes under Cambridgeshire hub. Whatever comes my way , am just happy to be apart of it and looking forward to my career with DB

Status
Not open for further replies.