DB Cargo Mobile Operative

Discussion in 'Railway Jobs & Careers' started by olivergeorget, 15 Nov 2017.

1. olivergeorget

olivergeorget Member

Hi all, I've been offered an interview for the above job. Anyone on here got any information on exactly what this job entails, work conditions, hours etc. Struggling to find any more information aside from their careers site.

Thanks!

2. Registered users do not see these banners - join or log in today!

Rail Forums

3. Atishyou

Atishyou Member

It's a groundstaff position. Depending on where you are applying for, the role will include controlling shunting movements (may also include driving in yards in the near future), preparing trains, controlling movements in yards and possibly some work on customer sites and on some engineering sites. Working hours are 12 hour shifts with some good time off, quite a bit of overtime currently available. Wage is around 27k I believe with shift allowance.

4. Macca89

Macca89 Member

Hi guys, thought I'd bump this old thread instead of starting a new one

But I've recently seen DB are advertising for this role again and I've got an interview (east mids)

Ultimately I want to be a driver in the future, so is this role realistically another/good route in achieving that goal?? Correct me if I'm wrong but Depot Driving seems to be the most popular route in becoming a Train Driver, this role DB are advertising looks like its one step down from that, which to me still sounds like a good step in the right direction.

From what little info I've found on the net, this role although purely a groundsman role, can lead to being trained into the Junior Driver (depot driver) and then eventually mainline as a natural course for "moving up", would that be correct??

We all know how difficult it is becoming a Train Driver, I could just keep trying for actual Trainee Driver positions and cut out this role altogether but that could take a few short months or years, but I feel with this Job at DB, its like I'm putting a foot in the door now (if i'm successful of course)

I'm waffling now but if anyone knows anything about this role with DB, is it a good option to becoming a driver eventually?

Thank you

5. Atishyou

Atishyou Member

It's a groundstaff job. It all depends on your ability to be honest. There's a few groundstaff in some hubs who have gone on to be both mainline and now junior drivers.

I believe new recruits are being retained in their positions for 2 years before being allowed to apply for other jobs, but it'll give you a sound understanding of the role and the railway too.

Good luck.

6. 142094

142094 Established Member

It much depends on what depot you are applying to - some depots are taking on Junior drivers and a lot of these applicants will be coming from the groundstaff role. From what I've heard, at certain depots where there is a demand for qualified drivers, the Junior drivers will only be doing yard work for a few months before they are invited to apply for the full mainline role.

7. Macca89

Macca89 Member

Cheers for that guys

Unfortunately I didn't pass, 3 tests today and I just fell below the pass line in one test which in a way was a bitter pill to swallow, especially when I didn't feel well out of my depth, they were difficult, but I left feeling I could have passed.

But it was a good experience for a 1st railway job applied for, its probably a lot different to actual Trainee Driver stage 1 tests, buts its a start.

Although this role was a way in to eventual driving, a foot in the door, and I'd have loved to have got it, I now feel totally committed to pouncing on any Trainee Driver positions

8. Tony*1

Tony*1 Member

hi
    Can anybody tell me what percentage the shift allowance is for a groundstaff position?
    Also what shift patterns are worked?
    Any help would be great,

9. Atishyou

Atishyou Member

TS4 mobile operative salary is about 25k all in. Shift patterns may vary on location, but the ones I know of are 7-7 with some 0700-12pm and some 0600-1700

10. Danny21212

Danny21212 Member

Mobile operative salary is £28,540 fully trained for 35hr week. Operation supervisor is around 3k a year more. Maximum turn 12hrs minimum 5hr.

11. Atishyou

Atishyou Member

Apologies, I didn't read my reply. Should have said 28k all in. Danny has given you the correct figures.

12. Tony*1

Tony*1 Member

Thank you,

How far in advance are he rota’s?

13. Atishyou

Atishyou Member

Think they're done on a weekly basis, but you'll know what your rest days are when links are changed.

14. Lew0291

Lew0291 Member

What were the tests you had to do for this role?

15. TagJet

TagJet Member

Where about is the east mids depot? Can’t find it anywhere.

16. Dave Tasty

Dave Tasty Member

Probably Toton.

17. TagJet

TagJet Member

Thanks for that. When I googled DB cargo on maps it was only coming up with Doncaster. I guess that’s where the office is. Nottingham is quite far for me so I guess I’ll be withdrawing my application.

18. Macca89

Macca89 Member

3 Tests

Numeracy - 36 Questions in 18 mins
    Mechanical Comprehension - 30 Question 20 mins
    Technical Reasoning - You get 5 Scenarios, each Scenario is written up in a paragraph and you get like 4-5 questions per scenario

All tests are multiple choice

East Mids Main Depot I believe is Toton, but theres several other Depots to work in, If successful I'd have been working out of Lincoln, Scunthorpe, Immingham and Goole

19. Tony*1

Tony*1 Member

Hi you get a company van or do you use your own Car?
    And I guess it’s based in an area rather than a particular yard?

20. Danny21212

Danny21212 Member

I’m based at a yard. If I need to go to other yards or out on a ballast turn a van is provided or you can use your own car and claim mileage

21. Danny21212

Danny21212 Member

Roster I’m in is a 5 man link with 1 G.P line. So you know what your doing for for 4 weeks then G.P is annual leave and sickness cover

22. GJL9916

GJL9916 Member

Hi guys, sorry to bring up this old post - I've got an assessment day at Wigan on 23rd November for this position, anybody else re applied? or offer any advice for the assessment day? I've got some basic practice tests to look through which they sent. I applied for the Cheshire region, does anyone know what kind of typical working week to expect?

23. GJL9916

GJL9916 Member

I've got an assessment possibly interview for this position on Friday at Wigan, i've asked to be Cheshire based. Anyone else going for it?