• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

DB Cargo West Midlands Hub

Status
Not open for further replies.

ExMover

Does anyone out there know what routes drivers at the DB Cargo West Midlands Hub locations of Bescot, Saltley and Rugby sign and what would a new driver (to the region) be started on. It's probably a very long answer but any information would be appreciated. Many thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
I'm having the same trouble for the West London hub. Think the problem with the move over to the hub concept is that all hubs will require more route knowledge than the previous home depots did, and not even sure if all the routes have been decided yet.

For example I was interested to find out that there have been some route learning trains scheduled from South Wales to Rotherham, so Wales hub drivers will be going a lot further afield than I image they used to do.

ExMover

Yeah, you're right, there's not a simple answer as the hubs are several depots combined. The new route learning software should make learning the extra routes easier - hopefully!

ExMover

I've tried working it out using Real Time but it's difficult as it doesn't list the actual freight operator. I'm guessing for Saltley and Bescot steel from Wolverhampton, Jaguars from West Bromwich, aggregates from Peak Forest, possibly South Wales and Bristol routes? As for Rugby, that potentially could be entirely different WCML traffic, intermodal London to Ditton and Trafford Park perhaps? I'm just guessing here but really grateful for any real 'knowledge'.

ExMover

Sorry to resurrect this one but I'm still fishing for any information on the DB Cargo West Midlands hub. I'm one of those EMT Depot Drivers (mentioned in the EMT Depot Driver thread) leaving to move across to freight and consequently creating some (popular!) vacancies. Any knowledge on what routes you begin with or core work or anything else would be much appreciated. Cheers

Established Member
Still the same as previously, haven't been told anything about routes/traction/depots yet.

Have you been given a start date yet?

ExMover

Still the same as previously, haven't been told anything about routes/traction/depots yet.

Have you been given a start date yet?
Yes, starting on the 11 Dec but not yet sure if that’s at the hub or straight onto a traction course. I know of one other starting on that date too but going to a different hub. How about you, I assume you’re going to West London?

Scaramanga

Depends on link but roughly Rotherham, Newport via Gloucester and Worcester (and a few thru the severn tunnel) Eastleigh, Rugby, Toton etc

Established Member
Yes, starting on the 11 Dec but not yet sure if that’s at the hub or straight onto a traction course. I know of one other starting on that date too but going to a different hub. How about you, I assume you’re going to West London?

Yes, still waiting for a start date. Did you have to wait a while between your medical and getting a start date confirmed?

ExMover

Yes, still waiting for a start date. Did you have to wait a while between your medical and getting a start date confirmed?
It wasn't too long but I think I was probably a bit over zealous in phoning up every day lol! But all of the applicants that I know have done the same, with the same results, so give them a call.

ExMover

Depends on link but roughly Rotherham, Newport via Gloucester and Worcester (and a few thru the severn tunnel) Eastleigh, Rugby, Toton etc
Thanks mate, quite a bit of mileage to learn then! I'm assuming the Rugby work is mainly WCML intermodal but how far North would a WM driver cover? Is the training still at Toton?

Atishyou

Depots are Bescot, Rugby and Saltley as part of your hub.

Routes are link dependent, but likely to include:
Bescot
Rugby
Eastleigh
Landor St (Saltley) to Rotherham via derby and Toton (sidings at Burton on Trent too)
Newport
Bristol
Kingsbury
Wembley
Manchester - Trafford park
Stoke
Corby (Northamptonshire)

Work includes oil, scrap, vans, containers, steel to name a few.

Likely to sign 60/66 and maybe 67s.

ExMover

Depots are Bescot, Rugby and Saltley as part of your hub.

Routes are link dependent, but likely to include:
Bescot
Rugby
Eastleigh
Landor St (Saltley) to Rotherham via derby and Toton (sidings at Burton on Trent too)
Newport
Bristol
Kingsbury
Wembley
Manchester - Trafford park
Stoke
Corby (Northamptonshire)

Work includes oil, scrap, vans, containers, steel to name a few.

Likely to sign 60/66 and maybe 67s.

Thanks mate, bit of mileage to learn then! Is traction training at Toton?

Atishyou

Thanks mate, bit of mileage to learn then! Is traction training at Toton?

Possibly. They might do you and all the others together at Toton. You'll probably be staying in the Novotel and go to Toton, depending on what exactly they have planned.

Established Member
Start date of 11th as well, although not sure if that is straight down to the hub or at Toton.

ExMover

A mate started on Monday (6 Nov) and he's got a 4 week course at Didcot so I'm not assuming anything just yet, but if he's getting 4 weeks then I'll probably get the same. I guess Didcot might be more relevant if you're going to West London but my mate's going to Peak Forest so no logic there. It's probably based on availability of instructors I guess. If I find out anything more I'll let you know but I'm pretty sure we're both gonna be on the same course unless you're already a freight driver. Hopefully we'll get Christmas Day off lol.

Last edited:

Established Member
Been told get 22nd Dec to 2nd Jan off which is good. Waiting for more details in the post about training etc.

Atishyou

You'll not get that off every year, I can tell you that.

However, I know of some drivers that haven't worked a Christmas unless they chose too. I also know of drivers who have worked both christmas' they have been with DB.

There's been a big cutback in engineering jobs for the next two years though, so it'll only be WTT jobs in the most part, none of which will run on Christmas day.

If you want the extra money, you can volunteer to work, if not, you should be able to get it off.

ExMover

You'll not get that off every year, I can tell you that.

However, I know of some drivers that haven't worked a Christmas unless they chose too. I also know of drivers who have worked both christmas' they have been with DB.

There's been a big cutback in engineering jobs for the next two years though, so it'll only be WTT jobs in the most part, none of which will run on Christmas day.

If you want the extra money, you can volunteer to work, if not, you should be able to get it off.
Not really worried to be honest (although I'm not complaining about getting 11 days off!). With my current TOC, the only day of the year not rostered is Christmas Day but you can be hit with an 0400 start on Christmas Eve which is just as bad. Having done the military thing for a few years, having Christmas Day a week or so in either direction doesn't matter to me (or my family fortunately). In some ways, working Christmas Day is the easiest day of the year cos no one else is out there to get in your way - easy commute too lol.

Atishyou

It's whatever works for you. Personally, I don't mind working weekends and earlies as there's generally less traffic around!

ExMover

It's whatever works for you. Personally, I don't mind working weekends and earlies as there's generally less traffic around!
Absolutely right, I’ve forgotten what the rush hour is like, and I don’t miss it!

Established Member
Been sent a letter regarding the contract from HR and says further info will follow from the Training Team. Also been sent a form to fill in for uniform.

Atishyou

Not sure of your background but the polo shirts are better than the shirts as they're darker. The three in one coats are excellent.

Established Member
Looks like a similar choice to what I get now. Will be going for polo shirts, not a real fan of dress type ones in this line of work. Shirt and tie combo on GBRf drivers looks a bit odd to me.

Could do with a good new coat as well

ExMover

Looks like a similar choice to what I get now. Will be going for polo shirts, not a real fan of dress type ones in this line of work. Shirt and tie combo on GBRf drivers looks a bit odd to me.

Could do with a good new coat as well
I just got the uniform email too, looks like polo shirts is the way to go then. Apparently, the instructor at Didcot has told his course that he's got another one at Didcot starting on the 11 Dec so I guess that's where we're going.

Established Member
Good to know, will give me a bit more time to sort out accomodation.

Looking forward to starting now.

ExMover

You can choose to travel down by train or take your own car and be reimbursed for the mileage.

Established Member
Sounds good. Driving probably about same travelling time as the train so won't make much difference to me although having the car down there will be handy.

Established Member
Did your mate say anything about what he has done during the 4 weeks? Thinking the initial training will be all the same but then tailored for each new starter depending on where you have come from etc

Status
Not open for further replies.