• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

DB Cargo West Midlands Hub

Status
Not open for further replies.

ExMover

Sounds good. Driving probably about same travelling time as the train so won't make much difference to me although having the car down there will be handy.
if we get the same hotel as the current course then it's a 50 min walk. Nice in the summer but in the dark in December, i think I'm taking my car!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ExMover

Did your mate say anything about what he has done during the 4 weeks? Thinking the initial training will be all the same but then tailored for each new starter depending on where you have come from etc
PTS on first day with exam. Remainder of first 2 weeks on Class 66 traction, slow driving and coupling with assessment. 3rd week shunting with assessment. 4th week freight add ons to the rule book (pink and white pages) plus a full rules exam. At least we'll have Christmas week to revise the rule book lol! I think that's the standard course for a qualified driver but not freight experienced.

Established Member
Well got longer off over Christmas than I had currently so a few days of the rule book shlouldn't be too bad

Atishyou

if we get the same hotel as the current course then it's a 50 min walk. Nice in the summer but in the dark in December, i think I'm taking my car!

You'll usually get a £25 evening meal allowance, breakfast is included at the hotel and lunch will either be provided, or you'll be told to get your own lunch and keep receipts and you'll be reimbursed up to £5.

Established Member
Received letter today, training indeed at Didcot, staying at Premier Inn.

Also looks like get longer off over Christmas than HR said.

ExMover

Received letter today, training indeed at Didcot, staying at Premier Inn.

Also looks like get longer off over Christmas than HR said.
Yeah got mine too (I’m JB), that break was unexpected! It’ll be useful extra revision time for rules I suppose. Really looking forward to getting started now.

Established Member
That's me top of the list. Aye looking forward to starting, although I did expect more than 3 people to be doing the training. Suppose it means extra time on the locos etc.

ExMover

That's me top of the list. Aye looking forward to starting, although I did expect more than 3 people to be doing the training. Suppose it means extra time on the locos etc.
Extra training and cab time works for me at this stage! I currently occasionally drive HSTs which are apparently slightly similar to 66s (compared to most DMUs) but I’ve only ever once been involved in coupling/uncoupling one.

Established Member
Extra training and cab time works for me at this stage! I currently occasionally drive HSTs which are apparently slightly similar to 66s (compared to most DMUs) but I’ve only ever once been involved in coupling/uncoupling one.

Only driven electrics before so whole new ball game for me with diesels.

ExMover

Only driven electrics before so whole new ball game for me with diesels.
I guess I won’t be the only one feeling like I need to study hard then! I do plenty of shunting at the moment but anything over 25 mph and I’ll probably get a nose bleed lol.

Established Member
I guess I won’t be the only one feeling like I need to study hard then!

Always amazing what you can recall from the depths of your memory, especially when it is something that you've never had to do from the Rule Book in a long time. But yes I'm always worried about skills fade over time so will have the head in the rules over Christmas.

Status
Not open for further replies.