• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

DB or DSB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hans

Hi,
Wasn't sure to add this to my previous post or start a new one, but as (I am hoping it will be a simple answer) new thread it was!

Are the direct trains from Denmark (CPH, Odense etc) to Hamburg operated by DB or DSB please? DSB Internationalis only allowing tickets to be booked on the non-direct trains, DB will allow the trains to be booked but struggling with the mandatory seat reservations for the route. If DB, is the whole train DB not just the engine?

I am trying to speak to DSB and/or DB but to no avail currently. Trainline.com shows the direct train as DB, non-direct as DSB. Seat61 says DSB.

I do not know if all the direct trains are fully booked (can that really be the case?) if booking on DSB international - why would DB/trainline allow the booking to proceed?

This relates to my previous post about travelling from Denmark with a dog. Now dates/times are confirmed, wife and I are trying to book the tickets and not doing very well currently with the Denmark to Germany legs. Domestic Danish trains, German trains and Dutch trains are all fine!

Thanks in advance.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Gloster

Established Member
I haven’t done it for a while, but it used to be that, although the trains are DSB IC3 units, the operation was a joint one. Local trains from Germany to Padborg in Denmark are German, while Padborg to Copenhagen is DSB.

What do you mean by non-direct trains?

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I believe they are "classic" international services which are operated by the relevant national operator within their borders, like for instance the Switzerland-Italy Eurocities. They are IC rather than EC because they don't meet EC spec (e.g. no restaurant car).

The actual stock is double sets of DSB IC3 DMUs if I recall.

HAFAS seems to suggest compulsory reservation only applies between Schleswig/Flensburg and Padborg which is why you're probably getting the "broken up" journey offered.

Last edited:

Gloster

Established Member
The DSB International timetable has a note in red saying (freely translated) that there is currently a requirement for seat reservations for international journeys between Denmark and Germany.

AlexNL

Established Member
The DSB international website says the same, between 18 June and 21 August a seat reservation is mandatory on the direct international trains from Hamburg due to the large number of passengers.

Those trains are operated throughout with Danish rolling stock* and a staff change happening at the border.

* For now, there's stories that next year DSB will temporarily use Intercity stock leased from DB (hauled by Vectrons) pending delivery of the new Talgo 230 stock. This frees up the IC3s for ETCS fitment, as the national train protection system used in Denmark is being phased out.

Hans

Thanks everyone for your quick reply. The only ticket option DSB Int offers is one with a seat reservation so I think we are ok with that, so maybe the trains really are full!Back to the drawing board for the plans I think!

As it is DSB the dog cannot go in 1st class, if they were DB trains 1st class would work! We will just have to rework the plans and see what we can do. The trains available are the ones changing at Kolding but they are also the far slower, stop everywhere trains which wife would prefer to avoid.

UPDATE - managed to book the tickets with a seat reservation (for cheaper than shown earlier this afternoon!) just now - I do not know if DSB are like other train companies and have released more fares/seats, who knows but at least it is booked. A little later train than we originally planned (the earlier dep still not allowing tickets to be booked) but all done now, many thanks.

Last edited:

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
They're only quite short trains - I think it's a 6-car set, but they are short articulated vehicles so the capacity is around that of a pair of 158s or perhaps even lower as they're quite low density. So one being full isn't hugely surprising.

I don't think the owner of the stock matters with regard to the rule on animals etc. It's a DB train to the border, DB staff and rules, then after the border it's a DSB train with DSB staff and rules. It will be the same when it switches to the leased German stock.

Last edited:

popeter45

im a semi regular user of this service about 2-3 times a year
yea they have really short DMU's (each unit is 3 carriages but only classed as 2 becuase the middle one has no doors so) becuase until a few years ago they took the ferry to denmark so had a max length hence limited capacity and mandatory reservations, they used to run the last of DB's ICE-TD's before they got retired
the longest they run are 3 unit sets https://www.vagonweb.cz/razeni/vlak.php?zeme=DB&kategorie=IC&cislo=393&nazev=&rok=2021 but in Winter ive seen single unit runs but thats uncommon
next year they are getting some old DB carriages to allow them to run longer length trains as well as train up usuage of the new locomotives they will be using when they get new Talgo carriages in a few years

Status
Not open for further replies.