• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

DB running on HS1

Status
Not open for further replies.

j0hn0

Which the caption says quite clearly ;)

heh, didn't look for any caption at all, was purely focussed on the train :)

Thats the first picture of the ICx that I have seen, anyone know where to find anymore pics? DB pdf specs keep crashing my browser and the fotopic bookmarks I had are all dead

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

j0hn0

Süddeutsche Zeitung are reporting that the IGC approved the safety standards for the ICEs to run through the tunnel.

http://www.sueddeutsche.de/U5a38b/68020/Der-ICE-darf-nach-London-fahre.html

ace, that'll shut them frenchists up.

Are we now beginning to see the full takeover of the Germans?

The best trains are clearly Siemens, DB own most of UK Freight and Passenger operations, the best Cars are German, the best beer is German and the best Drums are German.

I wonder how our liberals feel about this protectionism?

WestCoast

Established Member
The strangest thing about the whole issue is that both DB and Eurostar will be operating Siemens trains.

I know this has been discussed before and Eurostar has put case for compatibility, it's quite a kick in the teeth for Alstom and France!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I think that's a fair statement, but saying something like "German cars are the best" I do not think is fair or accurate. That was my point - perhaps clumsily made.

It is a fair statement indeed, any product (and this goes for trains and cars) aimed at the "mass-market" (and that can include the luxury mass-market) is rarely going to be the eternally highest quality possible. For that, you have to spend more!

Last edited:

LE Greys

Established Member
This is a concern if Eurostar and SNCF want to grab more of the regional France market, of which airlines like FlyBe somewhat dominate.

That's one of my major concerns with HS2. I hope that it will integrate much more effectively with the current network, essentially as an addition to it, rather than a new network cannibalising bits of the old as the LsGV have in France. Germany manages that much better, at least in my experience.

WestCoast

Established Member
That's one of my major concerns with HS2. I hope that it will integrate much more effectively with the current network, essentially as an addition to it, rather than a new network cannibalising bits of the old as the LsGV have in France. Germany manages that much better, at least in my experience.

Germany has an integrated approach, effort is definitively placed into making good connections from regional services to longer-distance services. I am also impressed with mid-distance on DB, the loco-hauled double decker Regional-Express services are usually a great experience (sometimes better than InterCity!).

You could even argue, that the UK is already better at rural services (and connections to the long-distance network) than France and Spain. Certainly higher frequencies are involved.

TGV

Very true. Many people look at SNCF and their perception (there's that word again!) is that they are the best because of TGV. But like you say, stray away from LGV and the services in the uk are usually better!

blackfive460

Last October at St. Pancras the DB people were talking with some confidence of their intention of running a few services in the summer of 2012. Has anything further been said?
I'm rather looking forward to through trains, anything that avoids changing in Brussels gets my vote.

gordonthemoron

Established Member
Changing at Brussels is a lot better than changing at Paris though, Gare du Midi has some reasonable cafe's just outside the station (beside E* checkin) and the Grand Place is not far away, plus the departure lounge is way better than the one at Gare du Nord in Paris

blackfive460

Changing at Brussels is a lot better than changing at Paris though. Gare du Midi has some reasonable cafés just outside the station (beside E* check in) and the Grand Place is not far away, plus the departure lounge is way better than the one at Gare du Nord in Paris
Quite agree about the E* lounges (although Gare du Nord does have a better view) but I'm more concerned with getting to my final destination without spending the best part of 2 hours changing trains.
I've no opinion to share about German trains, cars or drums though...

blackfive460

Would those who wish to discuss drums, cars and other things unconnected with DB running through services to London please go and start their own thread elsewhere...

cle

Established Member
Quite.

When will E*'s new stock be ready? Will they be offering services to Amsterdam first - and will Amsterdam (and Brussels) be the first two routes to have direct competition? Rather exciting - hope there are some good fares.

Haven't heard anyone else mention trains to Paris, which is the biggie. And aren't E* proposing to run at 320km/h to Paris? Is the LGV Nord signalled for this, or will work need to be done?

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Quite.

When will E*'s new stock be ready? Will they be offering services to Amsterdam first - and will Amsterdam (and Brussels) be the first two routes to have direct competition? Rather exciting - hope there are some good fares.

Haven't heard anyone else mention trains to Paris, which is the biggie. And aren't E* proposing to run at 320km/h to Paris? Is the LGV Nord signalled for this, or will work need to be done?

The first metal has been cut and apparently bodyshell assembly starts in December, so if anyone knows how quick the assembly of the bodyshells is that might give an idea...?

gordonthemoron

Established Member
Well, as I have posted before, I've seen a completed Velaro D in Munich. Since this was not that long after it's initial announcement, I wouldn't expect it to take that long

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Well, as I have posted before, I've seen a completed Velaro D in Munich. Since this was not that long after it's initial announcement, I wouldn't expect it to take that long

Yes, but I meant they've cut the first metal for the eurostar version, but they won't start assembling the E320 bodyshells until December.

WhiteJoker

Hmm I thought I read in this topic that the delivery of the Deutsche Bahn ICE's are delayed by Siemens. Probably somewhere else then.

Well according to the German Financial Times, Siemens has trouble delivering the ICE's in time for the 2013 deadline because some subcontractors can't deliver on time. Siemens themselves say the delay is only three months and that the 2013 deadline will be met.

And if I read the article correct (German isn't my native language) Siemens also made and error with the configuration which means the trains are not suitable for international traffic. Besides that the ICE trains also need to go through a series of tests before it is allowed into Great Britain and the Channel Tunnel, which can take up a lot of time. Luckily the ICE trains are already approved in Germany, Belgium and The Netherlands, but that is if they are similar to the current types.

If you'd like to read the German article: Article in the FTD

gordonthemoron

Established Member
Joker, Siemens didn't make an error with the configuration which means the trains are not suitable for international traffic, there are two sorts, standard German version and International version. The article mentions 3 german versions.

As I said previously, I have seen a Velaro D in ICE livery in Munich Hbf several weeks ago. This does not tally with the FT article

WhiteJoker

Gordon, that could be it as well... I read it as an error, because the whole article speaks of international trains. It seemed odd that they made that error, and that they couldn't fix it in this early stage. But still leaves me wondering why it's mentioned FTD article.

blackfive460

Latest move reported in Railway Gazette...

DB submits Channel Tunnel ICE safety case
12 July 2011

EUROPE: Deutsche Bahn submitted safety documentation for the operation of Velaro D high speed trainsets through the Channel Tunnel to the Intergovernmental Commission on July 11.
Full article

Also mentioned in the article is that there is ongoing 'good dialogue with the relevant border authorities' regarding security and immigration.

cle

Established Member
I think Brussels has to be a big part of their business plan. They'll actually provide some competition! And if they run non-stop, or target Stratford/Ashford, they might win a good bit of custom from Eurostar.

The only issue is picking up at Brussels towards London I guess. A footbridge or tunnel from the secure area below the Eurostar platforms would cover this off surely?

blackfive460

A little more on the subject in the International Railway Journal which can be viewed on-line here. It's on page 5 of the current on-line edition.
The suggestion that DB are in discussion with the UK Borders Agency regarding 'alternative methods of ensuring that passengers are travelling legally' is interesting.
There's a transcript of the evidence presented to the Lords Select Committee here if anyone is brave enough to plough through it all. I'm not but I did read Mark Smith's part which makes interesting reading and highlights how little some of the members of the committee know about rail travel.

es373

Yep! You heard correct fella.

I think pininfrania (guys who design ferrari interiors) are doing the interior refurb on 373's.
Bloody good times I reckon!

jon0844

Veteran Member
Didn't Philippe Starck do the last refresh? I wasn't particularly blown away by that to be honest, although I have a nice clock radio he designed. :)

es373

I'm not sure who done the last one fella but it isn't particularly nice going by todays standards.

jon0844

Veteran Member
I'm not sure who done the last one fella but it isn't particularly nice going by todays standards.

I'm pretty sure he designed it (clearly, he didn't actually do the refurbishments!!)

Status
Not open for further replies.