• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

DB through the tunnel this year?

Status
Not open for further replies.

anthony263

Established Member
That's good. All being well I'll make a trip over to the UK to get a shot of the first!

It depends what platform it comes in on, for example if it comes in on the eurostar platforms which i think it may then there may be a bit of a problem getting past security.

Otherwise you can get some good photos through the glass

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jon0844

Veteran Member
Won't they arrange for it to use the platform by the champagne bar? DB will WANT people taking photos.

Yes, the press will be allowed 'airside' I'm sure, but it's still quite a significant event.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
I was under the impression that it comes through the tunnel and is moved over HS1 overnight on the 18th / 19th, spends the whole day in St Pancras and is then returned overnight 19th / 20th?

Or has the plan changed now?

scotsman

Established Member
I can vouch for the quality of the glass at St P, however if you value your photos that highly - contact Eurostar/DB/Network Rail and attempt to apply for Press Accreditation from them.

Csalem

The latest Modern Railways gives you a chance to win tickets to see the inside of the ICE in St. Pancras during its visit.

Established Member
I was under the impression that it comes through the tunnel and is moved over HS1 overnight on the 18th / 19th, spends the whole day in St Pancras and is then returned overnight 19th / 20th?

Or has the plan changed now?
I had heard that it was going to be involved in some tests whilst actually in the tunnel, which would almost certainly be overnight. My source didn't know whether it will stable in Dollands Moor and run to St. Pancras during the day or carry on along HS1 straight after the tests.

blackfive460

The latest Modern Railways gives you a chance to win tickets to see the inside of the ICE in St. Pancras during its visit.
Any information about how non-competition winning normal mortals might get to see it - other than through glass?

jon0844

Veteran Member
The tests are presumably to prove they can evacuate a train successfully in the tunnel.

That would mean they're probably inviting people take part in this test. I wonder if that will include any members of the press? On the one hand they may want press coming along to document a major event, on the other they may wish to have no press in case things go wrong.

Whats the story with getting on the platforms for pictures of the ICE? I've been told St Pancras is mad for this kind of thing and they dont allow it... Anyone wish to give their views?

I T S

Dont't even think about trying to gain access on to the Eurostar platforms

Last edited:

Csalem

Any information about how non-competition winning normal mortals might get to see it - other than through glass?

No it doesn't say. The visit only is only to fulfill one function - it's a publicity stunt, plain and simple. There won't be test runs, and certainly not with people on board. Sure isn't the thing being dragged all the way to St. Pancras?

Clearly DB want to have a train in St. Pancras so everyone can see it and ask when can we get it to Germany, and for DB to reply when the Tunnel changes and updates it's safety rules. They want to use the publicity to speed up the process. The important question is, when is the second test run?

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Yes, the thing is being dragged to St Pancras by one ( or more likely two ) of the Eurotunnel diesels.

Goldfish62

Established Member
Anyone have any idea of what times it will be there between?

Last edited:

anthony263

Established Member
there is a rumour that the set is being tested overnight on 18 october then being displayed at St Pancras international all day on 19th october before being taken back through the tunnel

dorramide7

Or, better yet, this country can relax and adopt the Schengen Agreement :roll: Or are there too many H&S risks involved? :lol:

It is rather odd for the an island nation within the EU to have its own border restrictions I agree, if you like the UK is doubley protected on its borders. This is because obviously their is the schengen borders outside the EU and then there is the border between the UK and the schengen protected EU countries.

The main reason the UK did not join Schengen despite the benefits was that Ireland didn't, I have no doubt that if Ireland had joined then the UK would of too to preserve the free movement between the countries. Note the UK has an open border already....Northern Ireland to the Republic!

jopsuk

Veteran Member
We actually have fairly-open border to the RoI by air and sea too- no need for a passport, a driving licence (photocard type) is good enough ID.

But Ireland is a convenient excuse for governments not to propose joining Schengen fully

Caertroia

The main reason the UK did not join Schengen despite the benefits was that Ireland didn't, I have no doubt that if Ireland had joined then the UK would of too to preserve the free movement between the countries. Note the UK has an open border already....Northern Ireland to the Republic!

I'm sure Ireland would love to join Schengen, but if the UK stays out, which it's likely to do (it's a great way for home secretaries to pander to the right-wing in all parties) then the only way Ireland could join would be if it set up border controls along the Northern Irish border. That would not go down well in Ireland, even in moderate republican circles.

jon0844

Veteran Member
Note the UK has an open border already....Northern Ireland to the Republic!

I showed my passport when I arrived at Dublin airport, but we had no exit check OR entry check at Heathrow. In fact, it's the quickest exit from an airport I think I've ever had, given I had hand luggage!

An ICE in St Pancras could be quite a media spectacle. And excellent publicity for DB. Expect DB will have their Arriva minions out in force ready field questions and generally promote DB in the UK.

stut

Established Member
I showed my passport when I arrived at Dublin airport, but we had no exit check OR entry check at Heathrow. In fact, it's the quickest exit from an airport I think I've ever had, given I had hand luggage!

Ireland does do an ID check on flights from the UK, however, you are by no means obliged to carry a passport (even if carriers are unusually emphatic about encouraging you to do so) - even a bus pass is officially accepted to get you in.

The potentially more complex issue for the CTA (Common Travel Area) is getting the acceptance of the smaller jurisdictions within it - the Isle of Man and the Bailiwicks of Jersey and Guernsey. However, this may be easier now there are other non-EU countries inside the Schengen agreement.

stut

Established Member
Got to love circular arguments in politics.

UK: "We're not joining Schengen because Ireland aren't!"

Ireland: "We're not joining Schengen because the UK isn't!"

States of Jersey: "What about us?"

UK & Ireland: "Oh, pipe down, there."

I would really like Ireland to join Schengen. It was soooo leave the UK all lonely and isolated.

Trouble is, Ireland cannot really join Schengen. Think what it would do to north / south relations within the island of Ireland.

I T S

Qouted by DB Officials in an email I got today -

It will arrive at 0300hrs into St pancras on the morning of Tues 19th. It will be on platform 5 (portside). Therefore, enthusiasts will not be able to go beside it but can view through the glass window at the station clock.

ACL

I was reading an article that said that DB was seeking permission to run 200 meter trains through the Channel Tunnel, because right now there is a 400 meter train length minimum. Why is there a 400 meter train length minimum?

Thanks.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Why is there a 400 meter train length minimum?

It's because there are exits to the service tunnel every 375m (I think) so by having a train a minimum of 400m there will always be a door on the train close to an exit to the service tunnel.

TGV

It's because there are exits to the service tunnel every 375m (I think) so by having a train a minimum of 400m there will always be a door on the train close to an exit to the service tunnel.

Correct - it's to theoretically reduce the time needed for an evacuation through the emergency passages into the service tunnel. With a 200m train you could in theory have a 87m walk between even the closest part of the train to the nearest exit.

Status
Not open for further replies.