• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

DBY-EUS Super Offpeak Return validity

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrazyTom

My reading of the restrictions for this ticket means that it would be valid on the following itinerary on a weekday (Friday 14th June to be exact):

15:37 Derby
16:00 Tamworth
--
16:19 Tamworth
17:50 London Euston

I'm basing this on the section that says:
Not valid for travel on services timed to depart the origin station on the ticket after 15:59 and before 19:01 in either direction​
Meaning I should be in the clear as it leaves the origin station on the ticket (Derby) before 15:59.

Online journey planners (I've checked trainline and Loco2) don't agree with me on this and try and sell an off-peak return instead. They seem to be programmed that you can't leave any station after 15:59 which conflicts with the written restriction.

Am I missing something here? I wanted to double check before attempting to make the journey.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

higthomas

Yep, if you look down that page you'll see the unpublished restrictions, used by said journey planners have a
Not valid to depart any location 1600–1718 on any TOC
restriction.

This means your ticket is valid, and you should be able to use it. But just not book a journey unfortunately.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
London Northwestern have an issue with the tickets they price (which they inherited from London Midland) - almost all their Off Peaks and Super Off Peaks seek to apply restrictions only from the first point of boarding. The reason for this was that a large number of these journeys require a change (e.g. at New St), and the quite tight restrictions would otherwise make them near useless. Like this one they have "A connecting service may be used to complete a journey begun at a valid time".

Unfortunately the electronic restrictions cannot implement this, and will apply it to each train you board including connections.

I did expect WMT on takeover to remove this as it's a bit of an anomaly, though the only likely way to remove it would be to make things stricter. However the issue has existed for something like 10 years or thereabouts, I wouldn't expect it to be fixed soon even though it is causing people to be overcharged when booking online.

Good news, though - because it has been about so long, WMT guards and RPIs are well aware of it and you will not have a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.