• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

DCC Controller & Sound Help / Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daz9284

Hello all,

After nearly 20 years from being away from model railways, I am back and going to build a DCC OO gauge layout.

A couple of quick questions:
1) Which is the best budget DCC controller? I currently have a Hornby select controller and some DCC models, however I have been told one model is set to code 6670 and some of the saved functions are F11, F12 etc. However the hornby controller only goes up to F9 and can only choose locos coded up to 59. Would it be worth buying the Hornby Elite? or is there a better controller for the price?

2) Who does the best sound and who produces the Bachmann sound? I have two 66’s that are fitted with different sound decoders, one is Bachmann standard and the other is another company (forget the name), and the Bachmann sound seems better and also comes with more functions/options.

many thanks in advance
regards,
darryl

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SpacePhoenix

Established Member
You can also get "3rd party" sound decoders, can't remember the names of any of the manufacturers of them.

Probably is worth getting the Hornby Elite, not sure but I think the Elite can be connected upto a computer for the computer to have a track diagram

Daz9284

You can also get "3rd party" sound decoders, can't remember the names of any of the manufacturers of them.

Probably is worth getting the Hornby Elite, not sure but I think the Elite can be connected upto a computer for the computer to have a track diagram

many thanks for the reply.

regards,
darryl

Heinz57

In terms of controller the Hornby stuff is a waste of time. The Bachmann Dynamis is better, but this is wireless and the infer-red signal is very short ranged and can be interfered with.

In my opinion you are much better off with the NCE power cab or Gaugemaster Prodigy. These are both great starter system, although I use the Lenz set 100 which is just fantastic.

The Bachmann and Hornby sounds are ok, very tinny and low quality sound. You are much better off with sounds from Olivias Trains or LegoManBiffo sounds. Both use Loksound V4 decoders which are the best of the best. Priced at £100 each.

In terms of non-sound chips. The 8 pin chips from Hornby and Bachmann are not so good, I have used both and I find them unreliable. At certain speeds (usually around notch 7) the locos started to jerk. Also, reliable slow speed running is not possible from these chips. For budget 8-pin chips I'd recommend nothing less than Gaugemaster's offerings. They aren't great but they are more reliable than the offerings from Hornby and Bachmann.
The 21 pin chips from Bachmann and Gaugemaster are both good so its either or really. Hornby don't do 21 pin chips or locos so nothing to worry about here.
So if you are looking at budget chips I'd go for the Gaugemaster, you can get them in budget packs of 5 chips. They are great for starting out however, if you are serious about your new hobby then look at the Lenz silver or gold chips. They are a bit more money but are some of the best chips you can get. So much more reliable than any of the competitors.

Hope this helps,

Heinz

Status
Not open for further replies.