• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

DCC sound

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking for a bit of advice really, so here goes.

I am thinking of purchasing my first DCC sound loco, but don't really know much about how they work. Firstly, will my Bachmann Dynamis DCC controller be up to the job, ie work all the sounds? Do I have to assign function keys on my controller to work each sound or does it all come set up?

I am looking at the DCC sound fitted Bachmann large logo blue class 37, does anyone have this or seen it and can give me an idea if this is a good purchase? I like the sounds the old class 37s and 20s made so one of these is my natural choice.

Any other pointers with a newby to DCC sound would be great before I take the plunge!

Cheers, CSK

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

chris89

Established Member
Looking for a bit of advice really, so here goes.

I am thinking of purchasing my first DCC sound loco, but don't really know much about how they work. Firstly, will my Bachmann Dynamis DCC controller be up to the job, ie work all the sounds? Do I have to assign function keys on my controller to work each sound or does it all come set up?

I am looking at the DCC sound fitted Bachmann large logo blue class 37, does anyone have this or seen it and can give me an idea if this is a good purchase? I like the sounds the old class 37s and 20s made so one of these is my natural choice.

Any other pointers with a newby to DCC sound would be great before I take the plunge!

Cheers, CSK

The Bachmann Dynamis will work fine with sound locomotives. They include a sheet of paper telling you the function numbers and what they do.

I myself got a Bachmann Class 37 number 37417 a Highland Region 37 with the Inverness stag logo.

http://www.ehattons.com/38473/Bachm...R_Large_logo_blue_DCC_Sound_/StockDetail.aspx

That is the one i have. I paid about £4 more for it as got it from Allan Ian in Birmingham as a Present to myself.

I completely love the model as it is fantastic and am tempted to get sound decoders and chips for my other locomotives and units from now on.

I do suggest going over to RWweb.co.uk who have a dedicated DCC Sound section.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/forum/130-dcc-sound/

Chris

Cheers for that Chris, I have ordered the exact same 37 from Hattons for £155, cheapest I have seen it anywhere, and it's arriving tomorrow. I love the Scottish region 37's, looking forward to having a play tomorrow.

chris89

Established Member
Cheers for that Chris, I have ordered the exact same 37 from Hattons for £155, cheapest I have seen it anywhere, and it's arriving tomorrow. I love the Scottish region 37's, looking forward to having a play tomorrow.

Glad to hear that :D Im sure you will enjoy the model. For making a non - sound locomotive a sound one saves you a lot of money (around £100 for sound decoder + Speaker)

Same as you i love Scottish region items as well due to spending a lot of time in Aviemore and that Girlfriend is from near Edinburgh as well (When i showed her he model running she loved it and kept playing with the horns)

Chris

Glad to hear that :D Im sure you will enjoy the model. For making a non - sound locomotive a sound one saves you a lot of money (around £100 for sound decoder + Speaker)

Same as you i love Scottish region items as well due to spending a lot of time in Aviemore and that Girlfriend is from near Edinburgh as well (When i showed her he model running she loved it and kept playing with the horns)

Chris

There is a comment there somewhere about the misses playing with the horn, but I won't go there :lol:

There was only really 2 choices for a sound loco for me, a 37 or a 20, but the only DCC sound 20 that Hattons had by Bachmann was in green, and I currently have a BR blue and a Railfreight grey so want one to pair up with either of those, although the Railfreight grey one is Hornby and Im not impressed with them at the minute (See other thread).

I did look at the sound decoders that Rails of Sheffield has, quite a large selection and are all priced £94.50, but as this is my first dip into DCC sound I thought I'd go with a DCC sound fitted, ready to run loco.

I have 4 other class 37s on my layout, a couple are old Hornby/Lima ones which see little use, but I do have a couple of ViTrains ones (West Coast & Large Logo BR Blue, with Westie) which may well get a sound upgrade, along with 4 class 47s and a 66, but I am also tempted to have a go at the First ScotRail 158 I have, I have currently hardwired a decoder in there, but at this early stage I am quite reluctant to start butchering a £95 sound decoder, at least until I have a little more knowledge on the sounds side.

The only other sound I would love to have it my EMT HST, HSTs make a lovely sound and are the only thing that comes close to the 37s and 20s.

Will see where we get, at the minute I am stalling on my scenery work and keep picking up new trains, which is not helping, so a few may well be going up for sale very soon.

CSK
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Well I have had a half hour or so with the 37 today and I have to say I am very impressed. Love the sound hugely and it has only wet my appitite for more, although a sale of current stock will be required first!

You just can't beat the sound of the class 37s, but I am really tempted to get the HST done now!

Thanks again for the advice.

CSK

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
Some models have proper sounds, they usually have a "DCC Sound Fitted" logo on the box and usually cost upwards of £200.

I would choose Bachmann every day, Hornby are getting beyond a joke with their prices. I paid £155 for my DCC Sound fitted Bachann class 37 from Hattons and it's superb.

chris89

Established Member
I would choose Bachmann every day, Hornby are getting beyond a joke with their prices. I paid £155 for my DCC Sound fitted Bachann class 37 from Hattons and it's superb.

Couldn't agree more. Even the non DCC fitted models are going to joke prices at the moment.

I got the same one as you for 159 from a shop in Birmingham. Anyway for More modern stuff etc Bachmann is better.

For £200 for an 08 is stupid really.

Chris

Couldn't agree more. Even the non DCC fitted models are going to joke prices at the moment.

I got the same one as you for 159 from a shop in Birmingham. Anyway for More modern stuff etc Bachmann is better.

For £200 for an 08 is stupid really.

Chris

You can buy the Hornby DCC ready 08 for £60 and sound decoders are under £100, so where they get £200+ from is beyond me.

Im not going to go over old ground too much re my disappointment with Hornby but just standard models by Bachmann are far better than Hornby and are usually cheaper than the Hornby equivalent.

chris89

Established Member
You can buy the Hornby DCC ready 08 for £60 and sound decoders are under £100, so where they get £200+ from is beyond me.

Im not going to go over old ground too much re my disappointment with Hornby but just standard models by Bachmann are far better than Hornby and are usually cheaper than the Hornby equivalent.

I was talking about the Pre-Fitted models.

As those ones are aimed at the people who don't want to go the more complex way and may have to do some hacking of the model etc. When i can afford it i will be getting a Sound Decoder for my 150 and for the 350 when i repurchase one.

From Hattons this one is
http://www.ehattons.com/33389/Hornb...unter_in_BR_green_with_sound/StockDetail.aspx

£179 and down to £164 or if you go to the big high street shops at or around the RRP price.

Status
Not open for further replies.