• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Dcc?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Craig

Established Member
Does anyone here use DCC on their layouts? I'm considering building a small junction station/yard layout at some point and DCC would seem the best way to control it.

If anyone one has any useful links on the subject post them here.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
I personally dont like DCC, all it lets u do is move to trains at once have crashes, also the sound things are B***** annoying at exibitiions when alll weekend all you hear is the pathetic sounds.

Craig

Established Member
I wasn't really interested in the sounds.

As I'm planning to build a yard, it seems to me that DCC would be easier to impliment than the conventional method. I was also interested in the computer control module.

Beaker

Established Member
I would recomend using DCC if you are having a yard as you have much tighter limitations with basic electronics but yo can go fancy electronics which may work...

Established Member
im currently buidling a tram layout and was thinking about going DCC but you have to fit chips, then aly the brass strip etc, i prefer the traditional methoad, not as much to go wrong and is more reliable, i have DCC at my dads well the upper line is, and i always have problems with it reginzing the loco where as the normal tracks u can leaves going round and round all day.

Craig

Established Member
I don't think the traditional method would be flexible enough for what I want to do. e.g. having two locos stabled in the same siding with their lights on would be quite difficult without fairly complex wiring.

Nick

Craig said:
I don't think the traditional method would be flexible enough for what I want to do. e.g. having two locos stabled in the same siding with their lights on would be quite difficult without fairly complex wiring.

If you want to properly double head and properly control lighting DCC is the way to go, however if you just have a simple loop stay analogue. For you Craig I'd recommend DCC, most modern locos by bachmann are DCC ready, Hornby are proposing to sell some new models with DCC chips this year.

Craig

Established Member
Nick said:
If you want to properly double head and properly control lighting DCC is the way to go, however if you just have a simple loop stay analogue. For you Craig I'd recommend DCC, most modern locos by bachmann are DCC ready, Hornby are proposing to sell some new models with DCC chips this year.
Yeah, I've pretty much decided to go with DCC when I get around to building a layout.
Is the DCC chip included with a DDC ready loco, or is it just the wiring? Also are Bachman DCC locos compatible with Lenz controllers? Which controller would you recommend, Bachman or Lenz?

I'm planning to build an 1980s based freight yard plus station, a couple of these will probably be on my shopping list :D

Status
Not open for further replies.