• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

DCR locos

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

fgwrich

Established Member
You obviously blinked :D Most of the old DCR locos have moved on now with just 56091 & 56103 remaining and in the current grey, I think 56303 is still around in green but was damaged a while back and is out of use pending repair/scrapping

I don't think 303 will be coming back. After it's run in with some pesky wagons, it's spent most of last year parked up in Wembley Yard with a very droopy cab. It could be rebuilt, but DCR may want to revive another ex European 56 or replace it with a 60 instead.

ExRes

Established Member
I read somewhere ages ago that 303 was to be moved by road to Eastleigh for assessment, damage to the central casting if I recall correctly, surely an insurance decision would have been made by now. Maybe DCR could put in an offer on the five 60s announced for sale yesterday and make one out of the usable bits that are left ......

ExRes

Established Member
Well there's a head scratcher, according to WNXX 60029 has been moved by road from Crewe to Toton for overhaul in place of 038

029, which is not an extended range loco, was one of the original four but then swapped out at the last moment for 038

ExRes

Established Member
Perhaps or perhaps not to do with the future use of the 60s, but in the absence of another DCR thread, Hanson & Hall 50008 was out on a Willesden-Bristol Barton Hill - Willesden run as a DCR trainer yesterday

BRX

Established Member
60096 ran from Willesden to Angerstein wharf with a rake of wagons earlier this afternoon.

ExRes

Established Member
I've had a look on rail record and it seems to have been '6Z27 to Angerstein Wharf GBRf operated by DCR' carrying 'Domestic Waste (such as spoil and waste)' it then formed '6Z28 Angerstein Wharf GBRf to Rossington Colliery operated by DCR', presumably that would be empty to Angerstein and loaded to Rossington

As a totally uninformed guess I wonder whether DCR are just doing this work to train their drivers on Class 60s or if they've been contracted to do this run for GBRf

BRX

Established Member
Yes it was empty to Angerstein and then loaded to Rossington. Here's the Rossington bound train last night

There's a GBRf working from Angerstein Wharf to Scunthorpe Roxby Gullet which has been running for a while. Last night's train essentially ran in the path normally used for that working.

I'd understood that the working that is going to be operated by DCR was separate to that GBRf one but I might be wrong.

ExRes

Established Member
60096 back with DCR again yesterday working Barnetby to Willesden 6Z60, a very speedy 13 hour journey with a 90 minute wait at Claypole Loop and 4 hours at Eastfield Junction

EvoIV

I don't think 303 will be coming back. After it's run in with some pesky wagons, it's spent most of last year parked up in Wembley Yard with a very droopy cab. It could be rebuilt, but DCR may want to revive another ex European 56 or replace it with a 60 instead.

Was it ever established what exactly happened to 303 at Wembley? As I understand it nobody reported the damage or came forward at the time, which is both shocking and concerning.

ExRes

Established Member
looks like it actually came from Scunthorpe? So is it going to make its way to Angerstein Wharf next perhaps?

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/O28636/2019/08/06/advanced

All looks a bit confusing to me, on Rail Record it shows firstly that 6Z60 was at Barnetby at 0502 with the Scunthorpe - Barnetby section cancelled because of customers request, then a second entry shows 1345 off Barnetby arriving Willesden DCR at 2132

6Z60 today is currently showing 1550 Willesden DCR to Angerstein Wharf 'schedule activated no movement' although I think that's probably cancelled as 6Z41 Angerstein Wharf to Rossington Colliery is shown as cancelled

0Z60 and 0Z61 ran Willesden DCR to Acton Terminal and return today but unsure of traction

ExRes

Established Member
Was it ever established what exactly happened to 303 at Wembley? As I understand it nobody reported the damage or came forward at the time, which is both shocking and concerning.

The 56303 story seems to have ended up as something like the Mary Celeste, abandoned and floating aimlessly around Wembley. Many stories seem to exist but for whatever reason the actual fault doesn't seem to have been put at anyone's door, openly at least. If somebody somewhere had ever been officially found to be at fault then you would think that the insurance would have been paid out and 303 either scrapped or repaired

BRX

Established Member
6Z60 today is currently showing 1550 Willesden DCR to Angerstein Wharf 'schedule activated no movement' although I think that's probably cancelled as 6Z41 Angerstein Wharf to Rossington Colliery is shown as cancelled

In again for tomorrow so will see if anything happens then.

BRX

Established Member
Did run this afternoon - here it is. Guessing this means a loaded return trip tonight.

BRX

Established Member
And right you are, 6Z41 Angerstein to Rossington departed 2300
It did indeed, and passed me here in south london shortly after midnight.

I'm not very familiar with cl60s, they only pass here very rarely.

What struck me was how much quieter it was, hauling a heavy train up a gradient, than a 66.

ExRes

Established Member
It did indeed, and passed me here in south london shortly after midnight.

I'm not very familiar with cl60s, they only pass here very rarely.

What struck me was how much quieter it was, hauling a heavy train up a gradient, than a 66.

Must be something to do with stereotypes

Class 60 - British - quiet and reserved

Class 66 - American - loud and brash

:D

ExRes

Established Member
Not sure of the load but Hanson & Hall 50008 ran 6X25 Doncaster Up Decoy to Long Marston on behalf of DCR today then 0Z50 to Leicester LIP

Later info shows the load was a Stone Blower

And further info on hondawanderer.com today, with a couple of photos, says that Thunderer went from Leicester to Whitemoor Yard on thursday to collect said stone blower only to discover it was actually in Doncaster, I guess someone somewhere is nursing a slightly red face ......

Last edited:

ExRes

Established Member
6Z47 1345 Barnetby to Willesden DC Rail Sidings operating today, presumably the empties for another trip to Angerstein Wharf this week

ExRes

Established Member
Perhaps or perhaps not to do with the future use of the 60s, but in the absence of another DCR thread, Hanson & Hall 50008 was out on a Willesden-Bristol Barton Hill - Willesden run as a DCR trainer yesterday

50008 operated 5Z21 for DCR yesterday, 6 Chiltern Mk3s from Wembley to Bristol Barton Hill Wagon Repair Depot for PRM work, 50008 is booked 0Z50 Bristol to Leicester LIP tomorrow

Last edited:

ExRes

Established Member
60096 took 6Z61 from Rossington to Chaddesden yesterday and then 0Z60 to Toton and 0Z61 return

Last edited:

ExRes

Established Member
60096 operating 1012 6Z34 Chaddesden to Neath Abbey Wharf today, reason not apparent at the moment

Arrived 77 early and I now see that Neath Abbey Wharf is a stone terminal, if today was a tester run for a contract then the DCR 60s may well have some future work to do when they're Super60'd

50008 made the return 0Z50 trip from Bristol Barton Hill WRD today but to Willesden rather than Leicester

Last edited:

ExRes

Established Member
Now there's a diagram, 60096 is taking 6Z35 1405 Neath Abbey Wharf to Rossington due to arrive at 0748, a late departure means it's currently in excess of an hour late but as it has a booked 4 hour layover at West Holmes Jct a catch up could well be on the cards, it'll be interesting to find out if it's running empty again or loaded and if loaded what with

BRX

Established Member
Well it would be fun if the 50 was sent down to Angerstein Wharf tomorrow...

ExRes

Established Member
Well it would be fun if the 50 was sent down to Angerstein Wharf tomorrow...

Interesting proposition, 50008 could easily take the empties to Angerstein leaving 60096 until 2300 to arrive in order to take 6Z41 north, that's assuming that the service runs of course. Meanwhile, after a 70 odd late start from Neath, 096 has just arrived at Ferme Park 20 early

BRX

Established Member
Well, 60096 would have until about 3pm to get back to Willesden from Rossington, in order to take the empties, which doesn't seem infeasible.

ExRes

Established Member
60096 made it into Rossington this morning 25 early with 6Z35, there doesn't seem to be anything in the way of DCR departures for today or tomorrow other than an 0Z60 to Immingham TMD, meanwhile this evenings 6Z40 and 6Z41 were activated and then cancelled