• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

DCR locos

ExRes

Established Member
Just saw 56091 go past on the way to Angerstein.
Looked to me like maybe a slightly shorter train than usual, but might be wrong.

And right you are, 6Z41 was formed of only 12 wagons last night. After arriving at Rossington this morning 56091 went light to Doncaster Royal Mail Terminal via Roberts Road and then to Carlisle Kingmoor VQ as 1453 0Z57 to join 56103 for tonights 2200 6Z56 to Boston, the leaves seem to have been overcome as it's almost reached Ribblehead and currently running 20 early

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

BRX

Established Member
And right you are, 6Z41 was formed of only 12 wagons last night. After arriving at Rossington this morning 56091 went light to Doncaster Royal Mail Terminal via Roberts Road and then to Carlisle Kingmoor VQ as 1453 0Z57 to join 56103 for tonights 2200 6Z56 to Boston, the leaves seem to have been overcome as it's almost reached Ribblehead and currently running 20 early
So perhaps a decision was made that two shorter trains rather than one longer one would be operated last week, on account of only one of the 56s being available?

ExRes

Established Member
So perhaps a decision was made that two shorter trains rather than one longer one would be operated last week, on account of only one of the 56s being available?

That would seem entirely sensible to me, perhaps if you're a DBC, for example, size company then you probably have a depot nearby that can assist with available traction and drivers, niche companies like DCR don't have that advantage of course, those 60s can't come soon enough

Double heading got 6Z56 to Boston this morning with no troubles anyway, after unloading it's back to Chaddesden

BRX

Established Member
That would seem entirely sensible to me, perhaps if you're a DBC, for example, size company then you probably have a depot nearby that can assist with available traction and drivers, niche companies like DCR don't have that advantage of course, those 60s can't come soon enough

Double heading got 6Z56 to Boston this morning with no troubles anyway, after unloading it's back to Chaddesden
By the way, do you know what the relationship is between the Angerstein Wharf to Rossington working, and the Angerstein Wharf to Scunthorpe one is? They both use the same path most of the way... but I think the Scunthorpe one is operated by GBRf? Are they in fact part of the same contract somehow?

ExRes

Established Member
By the way, do you know what the relationship is between the Angerstein Wharf to Rossington working, and the Angerstein Wharf to Scunthorpe one is? They both use the same path most of the way... but I think the Scunthorpe one is operated by GBRf? Are they in fact part of the same contract somehow?

I'd like to be able to sort that one out! I'm hoping that there's someone out there who can put me right but I think, underline think, that Scunthorpe is more a waste centre whereas Rossington is more for spoil, as I say it would be great if someone in the know could confirm that or put me straight

The 56s brought 6Z58 empties back from Boston to Chaddesden via Toton and then went light to Leicester LIP to finish off a busy week

ExRes

Established Member
Looking at the recent updates on the DCR twitter & facebook there is a fair amount of comment on the Crewe - Longport spoil work, it seems that the contract is with a company called Land Recovery Ltd, I've found a small article from the Stoke Sentinel dated 11 April 2018 stating that a planning application was 'set to be approved' that day for a proposed rail freight terminal on the former Esso Pinnox Branch site which would allow materials and containers to be transferred to HGVs from trains, it adds that two rail sidings already exist on the site and plans involve the creation of a further six along with a 26 metre gantry crane positioned over three of the sidings to allow container transfer. There doesn't seem to be any update that I can find but the fact that this contract has started on the existing sidings points to a willingness by the local authorities to back it as a rail connected site

No Angerstein job likely to run this week unless another loco appears from somewhere but there is a Chaddesden to Carlisle and then two trips to Boston scheduled

ExRes

Established Member
Differently to the schedules it seems that the locos have been split again with 56103 working 6Z55 1255 to Carlisle forming tomorrows 2220 to Boston while 56091 went 0Z56 1417 Leicester LIP to Rossington to form 6Z56 1913 to Chaddesden, it's then due to run light to Leicester at 0106

From a thread on WNXX it seems that 60046 is on load bank testing at the moment, good to see that the Super60 is progressing for at least one of the four, 055 went to Toton at the same time so is hopefully not too far behind

Last edited:

ExRes

Established Member
Another bad tuesday night, 56103 made it further yesterday than last weeks 6Z56, but from being early at Kirkby Stephen it ended up 236 late at Ais Gill after coming to a slippery stand, DBC 66198 pushed it to Blea Moor 261 late, after missing out a couple of booked layovers it reached Boston 118 late

Tonights 6Z57 return has arrived back in Carlisle without any problem but unless 56091 makes an appearance then tomorrows Boston run could turn out to be yet another problem night

ExRes

Established Member
As predicted/expected last nights 2200 Carlisle to Boston was another, but even worse, failure not even making it to Ais Gill, it was cancelled and eventually made it back to Carlisle 0330ish, as a follow on todays Boston to Chaddesden and Chaddesden to Angerstein wagons were both cancelled

56103 has just arrived in Doncaster light from Carlisle and then it or another loco is scheduled to run from Doncaster Roberts Road to Chaddesden 40 minutes later, a rather odd diversion perhaps to collect another loco? *

A return to DCR for the HNRC 20s as 20118 & 20132 ran light from Barrow Hill to Longport on wednesday, light from Longport to Ellesmere Port Middle Wharf FHH and as 6Z21 to Garston Speke Terminal Complex and then light back to Longport today

Edit * Whatever it was due to be it was cancelled from Roberts Road

Last edited:

ExRes

Established Member
Looks as though they're having another bash tomorrow, 0Z56 1533 Doncaster RMT to Kingmoor VQ is scheduled for tomorrow with a 2330 6Z56 back to Doncaster Down Decoy, this is being completely rerouted to go via Oxenholme, Preston, Manchester and the Hope Valley

ExRes

Established Member
Success at last, 56103 and last nights 6Z56 made it down the diverted route without problem arriving just 4 late, after a couple of hours break at Doncaster Down Decoy it then continued to Boston arriving 5 early

56091 is on exam at Leicester at the moment, it definitely needs to be back and running asap

ExRes

Established Member
After unloading at Boston this morning the set has formed 1351 6Z58 Boston to Kingmoor VQ via layovers at Doncaster Decoy, Hunslet Station Jct and Whitehall Jct and due into Carlisle at 2316, it will then form the return to Boston tomorrow night, hopefully via the WCML again rather than the S&C

ExRes

Established Member
No problems last night, ran via the S&C arriving in Boston early, the return to Kingmoor is running near to time at Kirkby Stephen

ExRes

Established Member
Thursday nights Kingmoor to Boston ran without trouble again via the S&C arriving early into Boston this morning, 56103 then took the empties to Chaddesden for a return to Kingmoor monday, meanwhile 56091 made its first trip after exams from Leicester to Chaddesden to pick up 6Z56 wagons for Willesden DC, a trip which was extended by an additional 90 minute wait at Rugby due to the WCML disruption, these wagons are for Angerstein and then Scunthorpe on monday

ExRes

Established Member
Another saturday run out for Hanson & Hall 50008 on behalf of DCR, 0745 5Z40 Bristol Barton Hill WRD to Wembley LMD then returning to Bristol as 1238 5Z41 with Chiltern coaches having undergone and to undergo PRM modifications

xotGD

Established Member
56103 currently sat at Doncaster on 6Z55 1210 Chaddesden Sdgs to Carlisle Kingmoor V.Q.

BRX

Established Member
56 running Willesden to Angerstein Wharf at the moment.

ExRes

Established Member
56103 made it to Kingmoor yesterday without problems and is currently 24 early at Blea Moor on its way to Boston with 6Z56, not such a good time had by 56091 with 6Z41 from Angerstein though, it was 16 late at Crowle with just an hour left to run and ended up 400 late at Scunthorpe, whatever the problem was it was obviously repairable as it later ran as 6Z57 to Barnetby and then 0Z57 to Immingham TMD

ExRes

Established Member
A first picture this morning on WNXX (subscription section) of 60046 out on its first test, 0Z60 Toton - Loughborough - Toton, in the early hours of this morning, if all is OK with testing it will go with the train engine on the Boston steel working later this week followed by release to DCR during November after painting

ExRes

Established Member
56103 is back at Kingmoor this evening without problem for another Boston trip tomorrow night, whatever the problem was with 56091 seems to have been solved as it left Immingham TMD this morning and collected its wagons from Barnetby to form 6Z42 Barnetby to Neath Abbey Wharf via Derby and has just arrived 11 early

ExRes

Established Member
Another trouble free night as 56103 arrived 13 early into Boston this morning with the 2220 6Z56 from Kingmoor, after unloading the empties then arrived back at Chaddesden this evening, meanwhile 56091 arrived 8 early at Rossington with last nights 2000 6Z43 from Neath Abbey Wharf

ExRes

Established Member
Another (subscription section) photo on WNXX of 60046 this morning, it was due to work on the DBC Toton to Boston steel train but this was cancelled due to 'train length issues' with two locos, 046 has instead been moved into the paint facility

BRX

Established Member
Paths for today and Wednesday from Willesden to Angerstein Wharf. It doesn't look like today's is being used.

ExRes

Established Member
Paths for today and Wednesday from Willesden to Angerstein Wharf. It doesn't look like today's is being used.

56091 is currently on its way down to Willesden with 1530 6Z56 from Chaddesden after a quick turn around from 1107 6Z60 from Rossington, I guess it will be off to Angerstein tomorrow or wednesday

ExRes

Established Member
56091 arrived right time into Willesden with 6Z56, meanwhile 56103 left Chaddesden 145 late with 6Z57 travelling via the Hope Valley to Liverpool Bulk Terminal where it picked up half a dozen or so tank wagons on behalf of another FOC, it then continued to Kingmoor arriving 98 late, 103 to Boston tomorrow night and 091 to Angerstein on wednesday are the current scheduled trips

tgrb

Good to see them keeping busy, it fascinates me how they end up with these little jobs, I wonder if they’ll keep their additional locos busy too once they arrive

ExRes

Established Member
Good to see them keeping busy, it fascinates me how they end up with these little jobs, I wonder if they’ll keep their additional locos busy too once they arrive

I think yesterday was a prime example of the railway being just plain sensible, something which is needed a lot more often if rail is to take heavy loads off of the roads, in this case it would be obvious to the other FOC, said to be Colas, that DCR were going to Carlisle so it's just a matter of reaching an amicable financial arrangement and ensuring a route conductor, if required, was available to get into and out of Liverpool, certainly easier for the other FOC than making a loco and drivers available to run their own train, a good move by all concerned. The arrival of 60046 is obviously sorely needed, the 56s are far better off as a pair as they are currently having to run individually with shortened loads, the other three 60s will, presumably, be some time yet undergoing their Super60s and I think when they are all available we'll see more work through the Cappagh ownership to keep them busy, possibly some HS2 work as well

A little leg stretching today as 56091 has run 6Z57 and 6Z58 from Willesden DC to WEFOC and return, presumably a wagon shuffling exercise, and has now run light to Acton Terminal, a last minute effort to take over the Mendip work .........? ;)

BRX

Established Member
56091 is busy today - on its way to Angerstein Wharf just now.

ExRes

Established Member
56091 is busy today - on its way to Angerstein Wharf just now.

It ran back from Acton to Willesden after a 70 minute visit and then took the wagons to Angerstein, tonights 2300 6Z28 looks horrific with layovers at Ferme Park (32 mins), Peterborough (61 mins), Newark Northgate (21 mins) and Barnetby (230 mins) arriving Scunthorpe Roxby Gullet at 1202

ExRes

Established Member
56091 and 6Z28 had a good night, with a few little alterations to the schedule it made Tallington 105 early, then back to time with around 220 minutes at Barnetby arriving into Scunthorpe Roxby on time, it's now due to return to Willesden this evening as 1900 6Z39, no such luck for 56103 and 6Z56 though failing to get past Ais Gill again and returning to Carlisle, looks like another attempt tomorrow night but via Shap and the Hope Valley