• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

DDA for trains

Status
Not open for further replies.

34D

Established Member
Could someone point me to a previous thread where the requirements have been discussed in detail (there must be one, surely) or if not to the actual legislation.

Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

deltic1989

Established Member
Click Here For the Disability Discrimination Act 2005. of particular interest to your query are sections 6,7 and,8 relating to rail vehicles.
Hope this helps.

Established Member
Probably should also look for RVAR as well, that covers it in more detail.

barrykas

Established Member
Except the DDA and RVAR have now been superseded by the EU PRM TSI (Technical Specification for Interoperability for Persons with Reduced Mobility) for heavy rail, and the Rail Vehicle Accessibilty (Non Interoperable Rail System) Regulations 2010 for light rail (metro, underground and tram systems).

Both sets of regulations are linked from the D(a)fT website.

Cheers,

Barry

WatcherZero

Established Member
People still generally use DDA to refer to it though because its less of a mouthful than EU PRM TSI. The DDA also covers things beyond the rolling stock itself.

Schnellzug

Established Member
Except the DDA and RVAR have now been superseded by the EU PRM TSI (Technical Specification for Interoperability for Persons with Reduced Mobility) for heavy rail, and the Rail Vehicle Accessibilty (Non Interoperable Rail System) Regulations 2010 for light rail (metro, underground and tram systems).

Both sets of regulations are linked from the D(a)fT website.

Cheers,

Barry

is there a department of the EU that devotes itself to thinking up the most cumbersome titles possible for everything?

Incidentally, I read the other day that apparently, the whatever it's called now regulations for Buses also stipulate minimum seat spacing, which does seem a worthy idea. I do hope that this is something that will be extended to trains.

34D

Established Member
Incidentally, I read the other day that apparently, the whatever it's called now regulations for Buses also stipulate minimum seat spacing, which does seem a worthy idea. I do hope that this is something that will be extended to trains.

Yes and no. Buses have always been subject to a minimum seat spacing (measured on COIF) and the PSV accessibility regulations section on general accessibility DOES stipulate seat dimensions for at least four priority seats.

WatcherZero

Established Member
The only change ive heard regarding buses was they were making two wheelchair/disabled bays mandatory as the requirement for disabled passengers is on top of that for pram provision, previously only one was mandatory but a lot of bus companies put in two anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.