• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

de-railed freight train

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

compsci

From what I've heard the bridge is a write off and will need to be replaced. This will take at least 12 weeks. Most freight is going via Cambridge, which happens to have plenty of normally redundant siding space. The Cambridge - Ipswich/Harwich service is being lengthened from the normal single car to two or three.

Z12XE

Its going to be a squeeze getting all the freight that way though surely? Plus then the extra Engineering works trains for Sudbury line in early July

Also would be good if One could operate a service from Cambridge to PBO calling Ely, March, Whittlesea, and then PBO to help those who have been diverted that way.

compsci

The passenger service between Cambridge and Bury not via Ely is pretty sparse. The signalling can cope with more, but I don't know how much.

Z12XE

The passenger service between Cambridge and Bury not via Ely is pretty sparse. The signalling can cope with more, but I don't know how much.

Its ok if Kennett box is staffed, as when this is switched out it leads to long block sections.

The problem is of course the single track at CBG end and that nasty slow curve

D306

Established Member
Yesterday, on BBC Look East, it said that the derailed freight train will be moved in about 2 weeks, as ther has to be a new road constructed for a 1,000 tonne crane. This is because all the area is all bogged down with mud. The bridge will re-open at the earliest October, the latest February next year!

Muttley

Its disgusting that a rail infrastructure company has to make a road because it hasn`t got the skills/equipment/nous to work from the railway.

50yrs ago it would have been sorted within a weekend,and that with steam power.

David

Established Member
Its disgusting that a rail infrastructure company has to make a road because it hasn`t got the skills/equipment/nous to work from the railway.

50yrs ago it would have been sorted within a weekend,and that with steam power.

Doubt it. The bridge is nothing more than scrap now, so that has to be replaced. The ground either side isn't very firm, and because of the location, there isn't an easy way to get to the site of the derailment.

In future, before you make such rediculous claims, can you check the facts beforehand?

TheSlash

Established Member
Nope, i agree with Muttley. If they tried, they could clear up the vehicle side of things using a rail crane{s} and remove bits of the bridge.
The new bridge will probably need a larger crane to install it though.

Muttley

In future, before you make such rediculous claims, can you check the facts beforehand?

What an ignorant and arrogant attitude David. And for a moderator aswell !!!

As i said,and thankfully somebody else has been able to read-its not that NR can`t build a road quicker,its not that the Highways Agency haven`t already built a road,its that a road is needed in the first place. No links ??? Surely theres 2 ends of a rail line swinging in the air,they must be linked to somewhere.

That was my first post on this forum,this is my second. Thanks a lot for the warm welcome to the forum,and as i say,you being a moderator just makes it extra special,thanks.

(Top tip- if you want to sound indignant and make yourself look more important- get your spelling correct.)

william

Established Member
50 years ago there wasnt the red tape and health and safety issues that we have today. Train drivers no longer spontaneously combust and bridges built 50 years ago shouldnt collapse when an EWS freight train passes over them.;)

Welcome to the forum

mbonwick

Established Member
Firstly, Welcome to Muttley :wav:

I must say that I agree with him here, if rail cranes were used then the road (which would be necessary for the installation of the new bridge)could be ready soon after the train had been removed.

IE. Removal of the train and the construction of a road could take place simultaneously!

djw1981

Established Member
If the bridge itself ha been seriously damaged it may not be possible to put a crane onto it. The land around it is a SSSI and such cannot just have a road built, the road must make minimal impact on the environment. This does raise questions about the maintenance of the bridge though.

David

Established Member
If the bridge itself ha been seriously damaged it may not be possible to put a crane onto it.

As I said above, the bridge is scrap. I've found a few photos which shows how bad it is ....

Img_5346a.jpg

P10105181.jpg

P10105132.jpg

william

Established Member
Its even shallower now!! I read theyre going to need to dredge it!

Good pics by the way, did you take them yourself<D<D?

Hentis

Correct the river will need to be dredged. A new Bridge is to be built as well. I am sure they have a few more wagons for the self discharge train about.

Current practice these days is to get in a 1000 tonne crane to lift the debris clear of the crash zone and strainght onto appropiate equipment for safe removal from the accident site. There is no way that a railbourne crane could safely lift any part of the derailed freight train off that bridge safely (remember Health & Safety!!!). Sorry guys but I have to agree with Dave's post although as a Mod he could have "worded it better". But Mutley Welcome to the forum but it would not have been done in a weekend... bearing in mind it could have been as Health & Safety was not around then much as it is today.

Hentis

D306

Established Member
Announced this morning on BBC Look East, that there are 2 more wagons to be lifted, but network rail say that the line will be closed for another 2 months at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.