• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Dean and Dunbridge

Status
Not open for further replies.

387star

On Moderation
Under BR were these stations Regional Railways or NSE?

I thought the former but they have old NSE logos on partnership signs

Understand they transfer to SWR from GWR soon Romsey presumably also as no GWR services stop there

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Understand they transfer to SWR from GWR soon Romsey presumably also as no GWR services stop there
They have been “transferring to SWR soon” for about 5 or 6 years, have you seen something more recent or official?

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
All GWR services stop at Romsey.
Transferring Romsey only makes sense because of geography, ie it’s a bit off the beaten track for GWR staff.

The technical details of where the TVMs CIS, PA, CCTV and emergency call points all connect to is presumably why such “simple” transfers take many years to organise?

Veteran Member
Must have been owned by NSE as successor to SR, even when only Westbury line trains stopped there?

greaterwest

Established Member
Can confirm the above, Mottisfont & Dunbridge, Dean and Romsey will all transfer to SWR on April 1st. Only 11 years late (last regular F/GWR services were in 2009 if I'm not mistaken?)

The technical details of where the TVMs CIS, PA, CCTV and emergency call points all connect to is presumably why such “simple” transfers take many years to organise?
SWR use the same TVMs, CIS and PA equipment now (S&B TVMs, ATOS Worldline CIS) so that won't be too difficult, although with the Darwin system, the ATOS CIS would've worked in its most basic form with SWT's previous AMEY CIS system anyway.

387star

On Moderation
Is there a reason Romsey station has not been painted in new colours for about 25 years?

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Can confirm the above, Mottisfont & Dunbridge, Dean and Romsey will all transfer to SWR on April 1st. Only 11 years late (last regular F/GWR services were in 2009 if I'm not mistaken?)
I found a reference to the station transfer in a consultation doc for the intended GW franchise in 2012, I think it may have come up in one of the abandoned SW franchise attempts as well?
SWR use the same TVMs, CIS and PA equipment now (S&B TVMs, ATOS Worldline CIS) so that won't be too difficult, although with the Darwin system, the ATOS CIS would've worked in its most basic form with SWT's previous AMEY CIS system anyway.
Thanks for that info. Is it relatively easy to transfer the controlling location for stuff like CIS and long line PA? Presumably it’s mostly internet based?

387star

On Moderation
I wonder if standard SWT/ SWR blue signage will be fitted as the existing signage is very old

greaterwest

Established Member
Thanks for that info. Is it relatively easy to transfer the controlling location for stuff like CIS and long line PA? Presumably it’s mostly internet based?
Should be a simple configuration change, although I suspect it'll be a little while longer until we hear SWR's butchered version of Anne and Chipmunk Rodger at these stations as it'll require a total upgrade of the software, which will bring a trail of problems with it (e.g. hardware compatibility problems as SWR's CIS is possibly not set up to "recognise" the screens F/GWR installed).

I would happily be corrected about the above though.

paul1609

Established Member
I t
Under BR were these stations Regional Railways or NSE?

I thought the former but they have old NSE logos on partnership signs

I think they were flagged as Network Southeast as they were in the network card area. Prior to sprinterisation the Portsmouth to Cardiff service was only 2 hourly (ish) the stopping services were Portsmouth to Salisbury Thumpers.

Parallel

Established Member
I wasn’t even aware Dean or Mottisfont and Dunbridge had screens, I thought they just had help points!

Romsey station has been neglected by GWR, hopefully SWR can freshen it up when they take over.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I wasn’t even aware Dean or Mottisfont and Dunbridge had screens, I thought they just had help points!
Quite likely, my question was based more on the general case, and what I knew of Romsey. Until a few years ago (IIRC) Romsey’s customer info displays were VDUs that were mounted in the waiting rooms but visible through the windows...

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
The three stations including Romsey have changed hands today as planned, there’s a letter on the SWR website:
From tomorrow (Wednesday 1 April), South Western Railway will take over the management these three stations from sister operator Great Western Railway.
This means that SWR will now be responsible for the operation and facilities at these stations, and GWR station staff at Romsey will transfer to South Western Railway.
The change will also see SWR manage customer enquiries in relation to these stations. Customer Help Points at the three stations will now be answered by SWR colleagues at the Control Centre in Basingstoke.
For a short interim period, GWR will manage the Customer Information System and retail services, this will however not have an impact on the day-to-day operation of these stations.

http://www.passenger.chat/stns2swr.pdf

111-111-1

I t

I think they were flagged as Network Southeast as they were in the network card area. Prior to sprinterisation the Portsmouth to Cardiff service was only 2 hourly (ish) the stopping services were Portsmouth to Salisbury Thumpers.
In class 33 days they were hourly throughout the day. The exception being the once a day service that avoided Pompy and was to/from Brighton.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Makes sense for Romsey to transfer to SWR, as it was a bit of a GWR outpost. I wonder if the TVM will be modified to accept cash or will it remain card-only.

I guess for Dean & Dunbridge, other than new platform signs (in the SWR style rather than GWR style) and new posters/signage at the entrances, not a lot will change for the few locals who use them.

Status
Not open for further replies.