• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Debate about HS2 causing demolition of Bree Louise Pub

Status
Not open for further replies.

camflyer

I had a wander around the Euston area at the weekend and was surprised how much was already closed and boarded up.

It will be a shame to see the end of the Bree Louise pub, but I suppose it's for the greater good

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

camflyer

It's not.

Even the Landlord of the Bree Louise has said that he doesn't want to stop the HS2 development. He was just upset that he didn't get compensation or help finding a new location

https://eustontowner.london/2018/01/18/last-orders-bree-louise-one-londons-best-boozers/
....“I was never trying to stop HS2 from happening,” says Craig...

...“At the end of the day, you can never stop progress,”...
The positives of redeveloping the Euston area far outweigh the loss of a few buildings.

Last edited by a moderator:

camflyer

Not true.

Of course it's true otherwise you would never redevelop anywhere. The area around Euston is one of the grottiest in London and must provide a horrible welcome to people arriving by train for the first time. I still remember my first trip to London in the 80s as a fresh faced teenager and being shocked when I stepped out of Kings Cross.

Over recent years, KX, St Pancras and London Bridge, Birmingham New St and Reading have been massively improved while Waterloo, Paddington and others have had facelifts but Euston remains the ugly duckling of British mainline stations. If HS2 manages to improve Euston then it will be worth the multi-billion cost of the project alone. If that's done then I can live with the loss of a budget hotel and quirky pub.

jyte

I certainly won't miss the LTH...that's been in need of flattening for about 20 years now.

Andrew1395

The Bree Louise or more correctly the Jolly Gardeners will not be a great loss. But my god what have they done to the Exmouth Arms! Old Con will be spinning in his grave - They even allow bags on the seats.

Andrew1395

I would not say the area around Euston is the grottiest in London. Not by a long way. The Euston Road is charmless, but HS2 won't improve that. Of course the railway has a long history of expelling the poor for its own ends.

Established Member
It is.

The beer and ambience there was generally awful.

(I realise I’m in a minority here).

Not necessarily. Lots of us could never understand why this pub was so popular. Had a duff pint once and never returned.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I would not say the area around Euston is the grottiest in London. Not by a long way. The Euston Road is charmless, but HS2 won't improve that. Of course the railway has a long history of expelling the poor for its own ends.

Euston station is functional but a bit ugly, but I'll accept that because it's much more functional than some more impressive stations like Paddington, which unlike Euston is freezing cold in winter and smells of the proverbial.

The area around Euston may be boring but it's not in any way rough other than on the Platform 1 side where "a bit seedy" is about as far as I'd go. It's got nothing on what the area around Kings Cross used to be like, or the back streets around Waterloo.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I quite liked the Bree Louise and will be sad that it's gone, although it always seemed quite pricey even for London, so I didn't tend to go there that often.

As for the area, I don't find that section around Euston/KX particularly grotty at all, and there are still perfectly good options for a beer while waiting for a train.

I will miss the 1960's Euston concourse, although not the collection of random office blocks around the front.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
The 1960s Euston concourse isn't under present plans going. The HS2 bit is going to bolt on the side.

As an aside, what is the origin of the name "Bree Louise"?

gordonthemoron

Established Member
Is the Exmouth Arms being spared? I can't say that I'm overly keen on what's been done to the pub recently but I still go in occasionally

theblackwatch

Established Member
The area around Euston may be boring but it's not in any way rough other than on the Platform 1 side where "a bit seedy" is about as far as I'd go. It's got nothing on what the area around Kings Cross used to be like, or the back streets around Waterloo.

I remember King's Cross in the late 80s/early 90s... the walk to Thameslink was an 'experience', with run-down shops, 'ladies' hanging abut and the telephone boxes full of cards! Nowadays it's much more upmarket, with coffee shops etc - even the strip bar, the Flying Scotsman, has been replaced by the Scottish Stores which I've had a decent pint or two in (and at a better price than the Parcel Yard).

With regard to Waterloo, there seems to be a lot of redevelopment going on in the Lower Marsh area at the moment, with hotels popping up. I see from http://www.london-se1.co.uk/news/view/9142 that Steve's B&B, with its kebab house below is being replaced by a boutique hotel which will presumably be aimed at the higher quality end, and assume the "very welcome removal of a negative contributor to the street" mentioned at http://www.london-se1.co.uk/news/view/9166 is referring to the Chariots Sauna that closed this month.

Going back on topic there seems to be mixed views on the Bree Louise, but I liked it - partly as I could get a decent meal (pie, mash and veg) for £6 (£2 off with a CAMRA card). Fortunately, there are a good few other places to go in the Euston area.

Mikey C

Established Member
I'm sad at the loss of The Bree Louise - it had a massive range of real ales, and stocked Titanic Plum Porter which I love - but happily the Exmouth Arms had that on when I visited it last!

The area being demolished to the west of Euston for HS2 was fairly OK actually. Amongst the building lost will be an old Tube station building

backontrack

Established Member
I hope The Doric Arch stays as well. Through the dusty and gaslit windows, you can always see the old railway station roundels and signs, and muse on a world now lost...and the station is also a reminder of the old Euston Arch which was demolished in the sixties as part of Beeching's policy of wanton destruction of historic infrastructure.

Status
Not open for further replies.