• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Debt Collection Can Be Harassment - the British Gas Case

Status
Not open for further replies.

swj99

Indeed.....and IRCAS could find themselves in a whole lot of grief....see Ferguson vs British Gas.

http://www.out-law.com/page-9826

British Gas said that the behaviour was not serious enough to amount to harassment and that as a company, rather than an individual, it could not be caught by the legislation.
I don't know why they suggested that, especially in view of Kosar -v- Bank of Scotland Plc (T/A Halifax) - 2011, which established that harassment can be committed by a company as well as an individual. Under the Interpretation Act 1978, a 'person' includes a body corporate unless the contrary is shown.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

richw

Veteran Member
Because British Gas are a useless organisation. There is a lot i know of British Gas from various friends, and family that i would not allow them or their products near my household.

michael769

Established Member
Because British Gas are a useless organisation. There is a lot i know of British Gas from various friends, and family that i would not allow them or their products near my household.

Given that British Gas (or more accurately their owners) now run the national gas and electricity transmission grids, living without Electricity and Gas must be pretty inconvenient!

bnm

Established Member
But neither of those grids are retail products sold to consumers by British Gas, so richw's is right to say that no British Gas products enter his house.

Last edited:

Zoe

Established Member
But neither of those grids are retail products sold to consumers by British Gas, so richw's is right to say that no British Gas products enter his house.
The company that uses the British Gas retail brand in the UK is Centrica plc and this company is not owned by National Grid.

Last edited:

richw

Veteran Member
Given that British Gas (or more accurately their owners) now run the national gas and electricity transmission grids, living without Electricity and Gas must be pretty inconvenient!

I don't have gas, we have no gas supply where I live, but others have already cleared a point up anyway regarding this! National grid In my area is run and managed by SSE, and not British gas anyway.

Zoe

Established Member
I don't have gas, we have no gas supply where I live, but others have already cleared a point up anyway regarding this! National grid In my area is run and managed by SSE, and not British gas anyway.
The distribution lines at Hayle are Western Power Distribution, not Scottish and Southern. The 400 kV National Grid network ends at Indian Queens. I'm sure Centrica plc (owner of British Gas brand in UK) own any of the transmisison or distriubution networik.

richw

Veteran Member
According to national grid website, it is operated by SSE.
Anyway either way I don't deal with or buy a product directly from British gas,

Zoe

Established Member
Last edited:

Wolfie

Established Member
[Mod Note - This is split from this thread.]

That's an interesting reply, RJ.
I must say I was minded to agree with Ferret's assumption (based on experience both of my own travel and of others I have worked with as clients or voluntarily) that an IRCAS claim can be disregarded if the Claimant (the TOC) conceeds the Claim.
Indeed I'll go further, and assure any passenger that if the TOC has conceeded that the claim is void, then whatever might be said by any other party, while the Collection Agency may still be in posession of an instruction to peruse a Claim, if the debt to the Claimant has been settled or cancelled, then the debt to the Collection Agency has been settled or cancelled; even if they don't know it.

Indeed.....and IRCAS could find themselves in a whole lot of grief....see Ferguson vs British Gas.

http://www.out-law.com/page-9826

Last edited by a moderator:

jon0844

Veteran Member
But that's like saying BT Retail, BT Openreach etc are all the same. They're connected, but I may rely on Openreach to provide my broadband connection - but I have nothing to do with BT for my phone line, broadband or bills.

I'd not touch British Gas for anything. I've heard enough about their dodgy dealings with boiler/heating maintenance (and selling you a new boiler if there's a fingermark on the outer casing) and raising prices sky high just before they spend money advertising a price freeze (yes, let's freeze the prices when making them so high).

Status
Not open for further replies.