• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Decarbonising Scotland’s Railways

snowball

Established Member
I'm genuinely surprised by some of these time frames, Especially with the electrification to Tweedbank. It's genuinely better than what the Gov is doing.
The Gov, assuming you mean the UK government, seems to be trying to do as little as possible. Its policy on decarbonisation seems to be one of doublethink. It's really satisfying to see the Scots sticking to the promises in their 2020 policy.

My strong impression on Tweedbank is that they will wire it from the south end northwards. That way, they'll probably only need to do a few miles initially to allow battery trains to operate the line. Enabling them to top up at both ends is much better than wiring from the north only.

OS mapping shows an agglomeration of existing overhead grid lines near the crossing of the Tweed between Tweedbank and Galashiels stations, making it presumably an excellent site for a feeder station.

I noticed that it is intended to eventually withdraw all of the Sprinters and 170s.

Has anything been mentioned of bimode/battery stock for the West Highland and the lines north of Inverness, and will it be designed as scenic stock in conjunction with for example the Shrewsbury - Swansea via Llandovery line?
The current expectation is that these lines and the Stranraer line will get hydrogen trains (though with eventual electrification to Tain and Girvan) but I imagine it will be quite a few years before their specification needs to be finalised.
Also, there seems to be no mention of the Maryhill Park line receiving wires to Anniesland and Westerton, and for a short stretch Craigendoran Junction - Helensburgh Upper either. This would be handy for the West Highland as trains can change mode at Helensburgh Upper as well as to/from the RETB signalling system rather than in the loop at Craigendoran so as to avoid blocking the Edinburgh trains as it is single track to /from Helensburgh Central.
I think one of the video lectures that have been posted included a slide saying that electrification of the Maryhill line has been put back.

A review of the programme is due in spring next year. We'll probably see more details then, if not earlier.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Nottingham59

Established Member
OS mapping shows an agglomeration of existing overhead grid lines near the crossing of the Tweed between Tweedbank and Galashiels stations
https://openinframap.org/#12.07/55.6145/-2.77848 shows that Galashiels substation is served by four 132kV overhead lines, so it is reasonably well connected to the National Grid. Though they do prefer to use 400kV or 230kV supplies where possible for railway feeders.

1656437182256.png

snowball

Established Member
https://openinframap.org/#12.07/55.6145/-2.77848 shows that Galashiels substation is served by four 132kV overhead lines, so it is reasonably well connected to the National Grid. Though they do prefer to use 400kV or 230kV supplies where possible for railway feeders.
Some newer feeder stations use Static Frequency Converters which make a balanced demand on the three phases. I believe it's considered OK to use lower voltages if an SFC is used.

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
Nottingham59: https://openinframap.org/#12.07/55.6145/-2.77848 shows that Galashiels substation is served by four 132kV overhead lines, so it is reasonably well connected to the National Grid. Though they do prefer to use 400kV or 230kV supplies where possible for railway feeders.

My strong impression on Tweedbank is that they will wire it from the south end northwards. That way, they'll probably only need to do a few miles initially to allow battery trains to operate the line. Enabling them to top up at both ends is much better than wiring from the north only.

OS mapping shows an agglomeration of existing overhead grid lines near the crossing of the Tweed between Tweedbank and Galashiels stations, making it presumably an excellent site for a feeder station.
And even if those power lines are not 400 kV I am sure they will make good use of SFCs (static frequency converters) which would be ideal for Tweedmouth.

Yes, an SFC would be fine there.

Some newer feeder stations use Static Frequency Converters which make a balanced demand on the three phases. I believe it's considered OK to use lower voltages if an SFC is used.

View attachment 116868

Railsigns

Established Member
Also, there seems to be no mention of the Maryhill Park line receiving wires to Anniesland and Westerton, and for a short stretch Craigendoran Junction - Helensburgh Upper either. This would be handy for the West Highland as trains can change mode at Helensburgh Upper as well as to/from the RETB signalling system rather than in the loop at Craigendoran so as to avoid blocking the Edinburgh trains as it is single track to /from Helensburgh Central.
A train stopped in the loop at Craigendoran won't block trains going to or from Helensburgh Central. Would West Highland Line trains need to stop to change mode anyway, or could they do so on the move between Cardross and Craigendoran? I doubt that there's sufficient justification to run the wires to Helensburgh Upper.

View attachment 116868
...And the 132KV continues under the trackbed of the down line of the Waverley route past Tweedbank Station. The Borders railway had to be shifted a couple of metres northwards from the old route to avoid the expense of moving the electric cable.

snowball

Established Member
New press release

Network Rail will invest more than £120m of Scottish Government funding in the next three years to boost the electricity power supply into Scotland’s railway network.

The investment will see six new feeder stations at strategic locations across the network and a further nine sites upgraded to increase the resilience and reliability of the infrastructure for the operation of electrically powered passenger and freight traffic.

As well as increasing the resilience of the existing network, the new connections to the national grid via the feeder stations will increase the overall capability of the 25kV electrified network. This will accommodate future passenger and freight growth and reduce the railway’s carbon footprint by supporting the removal of diesel passenger trains from the network.

It’s all part of efforts to make Scotland’s Railway greener in line with the Scottish Government’s commitment to decarbonise the passenger rail network by 2035.

A contract to deliver the initial phase of work has been awarded to SPL Powerlines.

Scottish Government Transport Minister, Jenny Gilruth said, “Increasing power supply into the Scottish railway network is critical to enabling our ambitions to run more cleaner and greener electric trains.

“Upgrading the power supply network will enable the introduction of electric trains on services to East Kilbride and Barrhead, on the Borders line and across Fife but will also support increased traffic on existing routes such as the East Coast Mainline.

“This investment further demonstrates this Government’s commitment to creating a railway for Scotland that is fit for the future, for the benefit of employees and passengers. We want a rail infrastructure for Scotland that helps to cut emissions, to provide sustainable travel options for people and for freight, and which provides fair work and highly skilled employment opportunities.”

Alex Hynes, managing director of Scotland’s Railway said: “In tandem with the Scottish Government’s ambitions to increase the number of electric trains running on Scotland’s Railway, there comes an increase in the demand for power to operate these services.

“Investing in the power supply infrastructure will not only make the current electric network more resilient, it also delivers the significant growth in capacity needed as we continue to electrify our railway.

“Introducing quieter, quicker and greener electric trains on more routes across the country will enable both passengers and lineside communities to experience all the benefits that electrification of the rail network brings.”

Lee Pounder, Regional Director, SPL, said: “We’re delighted to be awarded this phase one contract and to be working on the fully integrated delivery of Scotland’s Railway’s traction power requirements alongside Network Rail.”

Notes to Editors​

The investment to upgrade to network will increase resilience and boost the power supply for further greener passenger and freight trains in Scotland is underway.
Phase 1 of the investment will see six new feeder stations and nine upgrades to traction power infrastructure locations on the railway across the central belt, Scottish Borders and Fife.
Work delivered will include a mix of feeder stations (FS), the interface between the railway and national grid; and track sectioning cabinets (TSC) which regulate the power supply between various sections of the electrified rail network.
Upgrades to the power supply network are now underway and will be ongoing until 2026.

Great news but the damn thing doesn't even list the locations, let alone commissioning dates. I hate the people who write press releases.

Undoubtedly one will be Thornton, Fife, from which electrified stretches will radiate E, S, W and N.

Very probably one will be Galashiels/Tweedbank.

Other sites that have been mentioned in this forum are Currie (near Edinburgh), Newton and Elderslie (near Glasgow).

Videoed lectures that have been posted include

1) a statement that the overall Scottish electrification programme will require 18 new feeder stations and 30 track sectioning cabins

2) a map naming 9 proposed feeder station sites in east Scotland north of the Forth, the southernmost of these being Thornton.

The submissions to planning authorities preparing the way for Dunblane-Aberdeen electrification mention several possible sites, not all of which are on the said map.

Last edited:

adrock1976

Established Member
What's it called? It's called Cumbernauld
New press release

Great news but the damn thing doesn't even list the locations, let alone commissioning dates. I hate the people who write press releases.

Undoubtedly one will be Thornton, Fife, from which electrified stretches will radiate E, S, W and N.

Very probably one will be Galashiels/Tweedbank.

Other sites that have been mentioned in this forum are Currie (near Edinburgh), Newton and Elderslie (near Glasgow).

Videoed lectures that have been posted include

1) a statement that the overall Scottish electrification programme will require 18 new feeder stations and 30 track sectioning cabins

2) a map naming 9 proposed feeder station sites in east Scotland north of the Forth, the southernmost of these being Thornton.

The submissions to planning authorities preparing the way for Dunblane-Aberdeen electrification mention several possible sites, not all of which are on the said map.

I noticed in the press release the name Alex Hynes mentioned. Is this the same Hynes who was in charge of the Northern franchise pre pandemic?

Also (I am not having a go here), the reference to Elderslie is not anywhere near Glasgow at all, nor a part of it. Elderslie is halfway between Paisley and Johnstone, with Elderslie coming under the post town of Johnstone as it is allocated a PA5 postcode. Also, it is reputed that Elderslie was the birthplace of William Wallace, hence there also being a Wallace monument there. My partner will confirm this, as she is from Renfrewshire (Glasgow is in Lanarkshire) and at one time resided in the Elderslie area.

kje7812

I noticed in the press release the name Alex Hynes mentioned. Is this the same Hynes who was in charge of the Northern franchise pre pandemic?

Also (I am not having a go here), the reference to Elderslie is not anywhere near Glasgow at all, nor a part of it. Elderslie is halfway between Paisley and Johnstone, with Elderslie coming under the post town of Johnstone as it is allocated a PA5 postcode. Also, it is reputed that Elderslie was the birthplace of William Wallace, hence there also being a Wallace monument there. My partner will confirm this, as she is from Renfrewshire (Glasgow is in Lanarkshire) and at one time resided in the Elderslie area.
Yes, but he's been at ScotRail since Jun 2017 so hardly a new role.

InOban

Established Member
Actually his salary is paid by Network Rail although he also runs scotrail

dcsprior

Elderslie isn't in Glasgow, but I wouldn't say it isn't anywhere near it - it's under 15 miles away!

For comparison, I have a good friend who lives in Kilsyth, I certainly think of that as weegieland, and it's slightly further.

snowball

Established Member
Elderslie isn't in Glasgow, but I wouldn't say it isn't anywhere near it - it's under 15 miles away!

For comparison, I have a good friend who lives in Kilsyth, I certainly think of that as weegieland, and it's slightly further.
As the crow flies, Elderslie appears to be comfortably within 5 miles of the Glasgow city boundary, and 10 of the city centre.

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member

View attachment 116868
132kV is suitable for Static Frequency Converter connections if there is sufficient spare capacity at the grid point but they cost more. The only issue might is Marshall Meadows is fed off the same supergrid supply point.

59CosG95

Established Member

The first of the six new feeder stations, Ferguslie (located here: https://goo.gl/maps/mjEc5FChjyAYQExF8) has gone in. This is the new one at Elderslie that's been doing the rounds on here.

snowball

Established Member
The first of the six new feeder stations, Ferguslie (located here: https://goo.gl/maps/mjEc5FChjyAYQExF8) has gone in. This is the new one at Elderslie that's been doing the rounds on here.
Brilliant! Ten days since the press release. Does that mean the six will be installed at 10-day intervals? :)

Open Infrastructure Map shows a 132 kV grid substation adjacent to the site.

59CosG95

Established Member
Brilliant! Ten days since the press release. Does that mean the six will be installed at 10-day intervals? :)

Open Infrastructure Map shows a 132 kV grid substation adjacent to the site.
That would be wishful thinking!

IIRC, the Scottish Power substation at Elvanfoot (400kV) requires very little work to get it up to ±25kV feeding from classic 25kV, so I wonder if this program includes the WCML south of Carstairs too.
(I'd assume such an upgrade would also encompass: Gt Strickland MPATS - the northern limit of WCML ATF, and the boundary between Crewe & Cathcart ECRs; Penrith FS (132kV); Southwaite & Upperby TSCs; Harker ATFS (final one south of the Border - the ATs themselves are already in); Cranberry TSC (first one in Scotland); Ecclefechan FS (132kV); Nethercleugh TSC; Murthat MPTSC; Greskine TSC; Lamington TSC; Carstairs MPTSC. My bets would be a conversion of Gt Strickland to Carstairs to use ATF, with TSCs converted into SATSs (Sectioning AT sites) or ATSs, and Penrith & Ecclefechan being decommissioned.)

snowball

Established Member
Cranberry TSC (first one in Scotland);
That name is in some danger of being ambiguous. A map check reveals that the site is named after a farm, but there's a whole village called Cranberry adjacent to the WCML near Stafford (as I mentioned in the recent thread on fruity names).

snowball

Established Member
NR press release on Ferguslie feeder station

The first of several new electricity feeder stations for Scotland’s Railway is now in place.

It’s part of a £120m programme being backed by the Scottish Government to enhance the resilience and reliability of the infrastructure and to support additional electrically powered passenger and freight traffic.

At the weekend the feeder station, which will connect to the network in September, was put in place near Paisley.

A temporary surface was constructed to position the crane on and to make sure the ground conditions were suitable for the lift.

And the movement of the Tadano crane (ATF220G), which can lift up to 220 tonnes, was mechanically restricted to avoid the overhead powerlines on-site.

Lesley Pringle, project manager for traction power at Network Rail said: “The £120m investment from the Scottish Government for this programme is key to helping us meet our target to decarbonise Scotland’s Railway by 2035.

“This is the first of the new feeder stations to arrive and it’s a definitely been a challenging site but our colleagues from across the Scotland’s Railway team have worked tirelessly to ensure it runs smoothly.”

Brain Sweeney, project delivery engineering manager at Network Rail said: “This work will boost the supply to our network in the central belt. This will help to deliver power to newly electrified lines and also provides us the additional capacity to run more trains on the existing network.

“This will ultimately deliver more green and sustainable travel options for people and freight customers, removing many more vehicles from the roads in Scotland.”

Allan Black, senior project manager at SPL Powerlines said: “We’re lifting the feeder station into position and it will be brought into service during September once all the relevant testing and safety procedures are complete.

“There has been a significant amount of work to prepare for this, and we’re already on site working at the next locations.

“Work started in the central belt and will extend as far as East Kilbride, Borders, Barrhead and Fife with completion due in 2026.”

To be commissioned in September.

snowball

Established Member
https://www.networkrailmediacentre.co.uk/news/first-new-feeder-station-of-green-investment-programme Work started in the central belt and will extend as far as East Kilbride, Borders, Barrhead and Fife with completion due in 2026.” With the timelines announced for Barrhead, EK, preumably Fife will come next with Borders last.
Wiring from Haymarket to Dalmeny has started (completion due Dec 2024) and, though not in Fife, is apparently counted as phase 1 of the four phases of the (initial, partial) Fife electrification. See the press releases linked in posts #4 and #16 of this thread (which were issued on the same occasion, one by Transport Scotland and one by Network Rail). One of them has a map of the four phases.

There's a Fife electrification page on the Scotland's Railway site which says all four phases will be completed by Dec 2025.

Not counted as part of the Fife electrification, but in Fife, is the Levenmouth reopening (completion due spring 2024) which will have wires from the start, though initially operated by diesels, pending delivery of battery trains.

The press releases also say design work on Borders electrification has moved to the next stage.

As we know, Barrhead has been in progress since last year.

The frustrating one is East Kilbride. An NR press release as long ago as Feb 2021 gave the impression that main works were about to start, but nothing has happened on the EK branch. Then a TS press release in Oct 2021 said that doubling the single track section would no longer be included, and that further development work was required before a start on the ground. We are still waiting to see when this will be.

Most of these projects have their own threads on here.

Last edited:

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
NR press release on Ferguslie feeder station

To be commissioned in September.
Interesting they are getting a supply at 132kV would imagine it won't have that a high a firm service capacity at that voltage level but presumably was needed to reinforce the extremities of the West side with the additional load upto Barrhead/East Kilbride.

Anyone know where the existing FS are on this side?

snowball

Established Member
Interesting they are getting a supply at 132kV would imagine it won't have that a high a firm service capacity at that voltage level but presumably was needed to reinforce the extremities of the West side with the additional load upto Barrhead/East Kilbride.
In recent days I've been looking at Open Infrastructure Map and I think several of the proposed 18 or so new feeder stations in Scotland will need to use inputs no higher than 132kV. However I suspect the lines to be electrified will typically place smaller demands on the grid than the principal lines in England, in terms of the speed, weight and frequency of trains. Also I think static frequency converters are being used.

When the south WCML was first electrified in the 1960s, how extensive was the 275/400kV network? Did many of the feeds have to be 132kV?

Last edited:

MadMac

The frustrating one is East Kilbride. An NR press release as long ago as Feb 2021 gave the impression that main works were about to start, but nothing has happened on the EK branch. Then a TS press release in Oct 2021 said that doubling the single track section would no longer be included, and that further development work was required before a start on the ground. We are still waiting to see when this will be.
Prediction: East Kilbride will be battery units in the medium term.

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
In recent days I've been looking at Open Infrastructure Map and I think several of the proposed 18 or so new feeder stations in Scotland will need to use inputs no higher than 132kV. However I suspect the lines to be electrified will typically place smaller demands on the grid than the principal lines in England, in terms of the speed, weight and frequency of trains. Also I think static frequency converters are being used.

When the south WCML was first electrified in the 1960s, how extensive was the 275/400kV network? Did many of the feeds have to be 132kV?
Not sure but we had to use 132kV on ECML has the supergrid was very thin on that side. You can use 132kV but the laod you could take was restricted due to the unbalanced load it presents. SFC's get over that and will allow significantly higher traction loads to be connected with the only restriction being grid capacity at the supply point.

paul1609

Established Member
Wiring from Haymarket to Dalmeny has started (completion due Dec 2024) and, though not in Fife, is apparently counted as phase 1 of the four phases of the (initial, partial) Fife electrification. See the press releases linked in posts #4 and #16 of this thread (which were issued on the same occasion, one by Transport Scotland and one by Network Rail). One of them has a map of the four phases.

There's a Fife electrification page on the Scotland's Railway site which says all four phases will be completed by Dec 2025.

Not counted as part of the Fife electrification, but in Fife, is the Levenmouth reopening (completion due spring 2024) which will have wires from the start, though initially operated by diesels, pending delivery of battery trains.

The press releases also say design work on Borders electrification has moved to the next stage.

As we know, Barrhead has been in progress since last year.

Most of these projects have their own threads on here.
Do LNERs 800 trains swap mode on the move on the beyond Edinburgh services?

najaB

Veteran Member
I believe it was stated in another thread that they change over between Stirling and Dunblane on the Inverness service. The Aberdeen services leave Edinburgh (possibly Haymarket?) on diesel as far as I'm aware.

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor
They can do so yes, where an Apco point is provided. I understand that a new one near Dalmeny is to be provided as part of the upcoming work. They're in regular use on the ECML in England, though I don't think anyone other than LNER has been using them.

HSTEd

Veteran Member
132kV is suitable for Static Frequency Converter connections if there is sufficient spare capacity at the grid point but they cost more. The only issue might is Marshall Meadows is fed off the same supergrid supply point.

The benefits of SFCs are large enough that I would expect them to become standard equipment from now on.

They will (eventually) allow conventional phase-breaks to be eliminated and the system operated normally in parallel which has huge operational and technical advantages. [SFC feeders would be able to share loads to avoid tripping the nearest substation]