• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Deceleration profile duing wheelslip conditions

Status
Not open for further replies.

JamesG

I'm an engineering student currently working on modelling train braking during wheel slip conditions. I've been developing a model for braking with different configurations of wheel slip protection.

I would like to verify my model with real world data. Does anyone know if it would be possible to obtain deceleration profiles for trains stopping under wheel slip conditions, ideally with the times of events such as braking level changes and WSP activations?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

pendolino

I'm an engineering student currently working on modelling train braking during wheel slip conditions. I've been developing a model for braking with different configurations of wheel slip protection.

I would like to verify my model with real world data. Does anyone know if it would be possible to obtain deceleration profiles for trains stopping under wheel slip conditions, ideally with the times of events such as braking level changes and WSP activations?

You could approach a TOC and ask them for a download from an OTDR? That would record brake applications and (I think) WSP. But if all the wheels are slipping (which admittedly is probably unlikely) then the speed registered by the OTDR might not be entirely accurate.

asylumxl

Established Member
I'd recommend contacting the train manufactures instead of the TOCs, who will have probably done such tests during testing.

TDK

Established Member

Conditions are so variable that you will find it difficult to get any constant measure

David

Established Member
A good place to start is the Rail Accident Investigation Branch, in particular the publications involving near misses and over runs.

As TDK mentioned, conditions are variable, but another thing to consider is the different reasons. Not all over runs and near misses are caused by poor railhead conditions.

Status
Not open for further replies.