• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

December 2012 timetable changes

Status
Not open for further replies.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Hi,

I know it's a while away yet (5 months), however there's already been a bit of gen about changes this winter.

Southeastern are consulting about changes to services along the Chatham Main Line (http://www.southeasternrailway.co.uk/news/latest-news/december-2012-timetable-consultation-begins/), which chiefly sees changes of calling points of off-peak Victoria-Ramsgate services, as well as service cuts to Longfield and Meopham, and some changes to High Speed in the peak (I think).

I've seen in the most recent TRUK that Northern from December will be removing the calls at Heaton Chapel and Levenshulme from northbound Buxton services, as well as changing times along the route, and extending Sunday services ex-Southport from Stockport to Hazel Grove.

Does anyone know of any more planned changes from December?

Cheers

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Cherry_Picker

Established Member
Chiltern are running an 05:15 from Birmingham Moor Street to London Marylebone. The earliest train at the moment is 05:46. The 05:15 is an extension of the current 05:40 Warwick Parkway - London Marylebone service (which will then be timed to leave Warwick Parkway at 05:35). That train came ECS from Banbury before as far as I am aware and now it can start in Birmingham due to space being freed up at Moor Street as the loco hauled rakes will all be starting from Stourbridge/Kidderminster.

http://www.chilternrailways.co.uk/news/december-2012-timetable-consultation

user15681

Established Member
Southeastern are consulting about changes to services along the Chatham Main Line (http://www.southeasternrailway.co.uk/news/latest-news/december-2012-timetable-consultation-begins/), which chiefly sees changes of calling points of off-peak Victoria-Ramsgate services, as well as service cuts to Longfield and Meopham, and some changes to High Speed in the peak (I think.)

As far as I'm concerned, the proposed service cuts are appropriate. A while ago, fast trains didn't call at Longfield or Meopham, with only the slow ones stopping and everything was okay then (I think). Then, all of a sudden, they were included as stops on the fast trains. The stations are pretty rural and hardly anyone gets off/on during the off peak. In my opinion, it's always been a waste stopping every fast train there.

Of course it will be an inconvenience to people from the areas, but there's still an hourly service to Gillingham and an hourly service to Ramsgate & Dover Priory. Is it worth stopping every fast train and adding minutes to the journey, just for very few people?

Established Member
Additional services between Stalybridge and Victoria thanks to the new bay. This will be done by extending the Kirkby and Southports. Badly needed extra capacity.

cjohnson

Southern plan to have extra morning peak trains on the WLL (three northbound and two southbound).

merlodlliw

Established Member
Wrexham/ Denbighshire /Flintshire triangle
Those in the know tell me there will be major changes on the ATW network from December, I hope consultation takes place, sadly non by ATW during the May changes, and nothing yet for September, just imposed changes.
OK we know about the WAG enhanced O/A service via Wrexham from Sept

Class377/5

Established Member
As far as I'm concerned, the proposed service cuts are appropriate. A while ago, fast trains didn't call at Longfield or Meopham, with only the slow ones stopping and everything was okay then (I think). Then, all of a sudden, they were included as stops on the fast trains. The stations are pretty rural and hardly anyone gets off/on during the off peak. In my opinion, it's always been a waste stopping every fast train there.

Of course it will be an inconvenience to people from the areas, but there's still an hourly service to Gillingham and an hourly service to Ramsgate & Dover Priory. Is it worth stopping every fast train and adding minutes to the journey, just for very few people?

Yes it is. My old station, where I visit my mum lost its half hourly stopper (which also served these stations) back when high speed. Not every or has access to a car so an hourly service is crap.

cjohnson

That was from a reply by Southern from one of their online 'meet the managers' things a month or so back.
Southern said:
From this December we will be running 5 extra morning peak trains 3 towards Shepherds Bush from Clapham Junction and two from Shepherds Bush to Clapham Junction. The exact times will be confirmed in the next few months. [...] The West Coast Main Line is very congested and there is only one train path for us to Milton Keynes each hour. However, some of the extra trains this December do go to Watford Junction

(They also said NR now had funding to lengthen platforms on the WLL to allow 8-car running from Dec 2013).

David10

LOROL's Surrey Quays - Clapham Jn service will commence with Southern's London Bridge - Victoria via Denmark Hill service ceasing releasing stock for the extra WLL services.

Southern's 1tpd Kensington Olympia - Wandsworth Rd and the 1bpw Ealing Broaadway - Wandsworth Rd services should cease provided the DfT can complete the consultation process in time.

cle

Established Member
All good stuff. To Watford is good enough really as it's the core route wihch needs upping. Good connections at both ends.

I think the SLL Overground will be hugely popular. When do the additional Crystal Palace services (2tph extra?) begin - and is this only in the peaks?

In terms of 8 car WLL platforms - will Shepherds Bush be done as part of the NR funding, or are they going to make the proposed Westfield 2.0 project pay for it?
Any chance of the Imperial Whar platforms heading over the river? That'd be great also.

barrykas

Established Member
Another big recast in Chiltern land:

Off-Peak from Marylebone:

xx:12 - Aylesbury Vale Parkway (via Amersham)
xx:15 - Birmingham Moor Street (Fast to Banbury)
xx:18 - Banbury/Stratford-upon-Avon (Fast to High Wycombe)
xx:21 - Princes Risborough/Aylesbury (Fast to Gerrards Cross)
xx:24 - High Wycombe
xx:42 - Aylesbury (via Amersham)
xx:45 - Birmingham Snow Hill (Fast to High Wycombe)
xx:48 - Bicester North (Fast to Gerrards Cross)
xx:54 - Gerrards Cross

The 13:42, 14:42 and 15:52 ex-Marylebone are extended to Aylesbury Vale Parkway.

Cheers,

Barry

Mintona

Established Member
Yes it is. My old station, where I visit my mum lost its half hourly stopper (which also served these stations) back when high speed. Not every or has access to a car so an hourly service is crap.

Longfield and Meopham will still have 2tph, I believe the plan is for 1tph to run fast from Bromley South to Rochester and the other to call as they do now.

cle

Established Member
Another big recast in Chiltern land:

Off-Peak from Marylebone:

xx:12 - Aylesbury Vale Parkway (via Amersham)
xx:15 - Birmingham Moor Street (Fast to Banbury)
xx:18 - Banbury/Stratford-upon-Avon (Fast to High Wycombe)
xx:21 - Princes Risborough/Aylesbury (Fast to Gerrards Cross)
xx:24 - High Wycombe
xx:42 - Aylesbury (via Amersham)
xx:45 - Birmingham Snow Hill (Fast to High Wycombe)
xx:48 - Bicester North (Fast to Gerrards Cross)
xx:54 - Gerrards Cross

The 13:42, 14:42 and 15:52 ex-Marylebone are extended to Aylesbury Vale Parkway.

Cheers,

Barry

Doesn't seem hugely different. Is it dropping Bicester from the fast B'ham, which I think is fair enough.

AVP improvements are a good sign.

calc7

Established Member
Any minutes been shaved off the fast Birminghams?

barrykas

Established Member
Any minutes been shaved off the fast Birminghams?

Fastest Off-Peak one in the December timetable is the 15:15 from Marylebone, due into Moor Street 16:51, giving a 1 hour 36 minute running time.

SprinterMan

Established Member
In East Anglia, the East Suffolk line is getting an hourly service, Brampton will become a request stop and Lowestoft trains will cease to serve Westerfield.

Adam :D

philjo

Established Member
FCC have more peak time 12-coach services on GN route following the platform extensions at Arlesey, Biggleswade & Sandy :

details provided in response to a question on their online forum on Friday:

In the mornings the 06:32, 07:33 and 09:15 services from Peterborough to Kings Cross will be strengthened to 12 coaches. The 06:40 Huntingdon to Kings Cross service will be withdrawn.

In the evenings, the 07:10 Kings Cross to Peterborough service is reduced from 12 to 8 coaches. The 17:44 and 18:14 Kings Cross to Peterborough services will be strengthened to 12 coaches.

Skimble19

Established Member
So, they're removing one service, and shortening another to lengthen one? Essentially, we now have 12 car platforms that will see about 4 services a day..

EDIT: I just checked the current timetables, and based on personal experience they've lengthened at least one service that didn't really need it, whilst missing another: the 07:33 is never anywhere near as packed as the 07:06, for instance. I also think its a mistake removing the 06:40 service, and can't see the pax who use it regularly being overly happy.

I'm assuming the 09:15 is actually the 09:16: this one will be appreciated, don't think I've ever been on there when it's not been rammed.

Last edited:

pemma

Veteran Member
I've seen in the most recent TRUK that Northern from December will be removing the calls at Heaton Chapel and Levenshulme from northbound Buxton services

They've added them in to the xx:07 Chester-Manchester services instead.

Fortunately, the first two Chester-Manchester services aren't going to call at Heaton Chapel and Levenshulme but the 08:07 Chester-Manchester is - so hopefully that gets booked to be at least a 156 from the December timetable change, otherwise they'll be no room for people to board at Levenshulme if it remains as a Pacer!

dk1

Veteran Member
In East Anglia, the East Suffolk line is getting an hourly service, Brampton will become a request stop and Lowestoft trains will cease to serve Westerfield.

Adam :D

Westerfield will only be omitted in the down direction. Up arrangements continue to apply as now as no changes are being made to Colchester PSB signalling. ES trains will have to run into the up platform on a single yellow from CO614 & the barriers will continue on timer as now whilst RETB token is given up & the train leaves the system even though this obviously will no longer happen.

Retorus

So, they're removing one service, and shortening another to lengthen one? Essentially, we now have 12 car platforms that will see about 4 services a day..

EDIT: I just checked the current timetables, and based on personal experience they've lengthened at least one service that didn't really need it, whilst missing another: the 07:33 is never anywhere near as packed as the 07:06, for instance. I also think its a mistake removing the 06:40 service, and can't see the pax who use it regularly being overly happy.

I'm assuming the 09:15 is actually the 09:16: this one will be appreciated, don't think I've ever been on there when it's not been rammed.

Indeed, doesn't seem like they'll be getting much use!

Ah well, still hoping for some East Coast stops at Biggleswade one day. :lol:

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Another change on Northern is the diversion of the current hourly fast Rose Hill-Manchester Piccadilly via Bredbury service (which calls at Romiley only and from what I can gather is somewhat deserted and pointless) to run via Hyde Central. The new service calls at Gorton, Fairfield, Guide Bridge, Hyde Central, Woodley, Romiley and Rose Hill. This creates 4tph to / from Guide Bridge ex-Manchester, and 2tph for Hyde Central and Woodley. An interesting omission perhaps is Hyde North: from what I can gather here, Flowery Field on the nearby Hadfield line has taken away a lot of custom. It looks like the times at both ends have been tidied up too - they run at 29:31 minute intervals or thereabouts.

Status
Not open for further replies.