• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

December 2015 Timetable Change

Status
Not open for further replies.

infobleep

Veteran Member
They'd need more trains to do that. As mentioned numerous times before, usually in the regular 'XC changes' threads. Why do we keep going over the same stuff?
Your right I know the reasons. Then perhaps they could simply sell more advanced purchase tickets. I don't know why more are only available when there is a diversion. It's not as if one can't get an advanced purchase ticket via other lines.

I'm talking in particular the journey between Guildford and Oxford but it may apply to other stations too.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

dk1

Veteran Member
People seem to think the Virgin Trains Blackpool North service has value. It runs at the same frequency and at similar times.

I would say the down 16:33 service is of value but the up is very questionable at such an early hour. Thing with Blackpool is the large leisure business on offer but unfortunatley this does not currently fit well with the train service plan or the diesel unit diagrams. Hopefully more options will be available once the knitting goes up.

Chrism20

Established Member
I would say the down 16:33 service is of value but the up is very questionable at such an early hour. Thing with Blackpool is the large leisure business on offer but unfortunatley this does not currently fit well with the train service plan or the diesel unit diagrams. Hopefully more options will be available once the knitting goes up.

I've been working in Preston quite a bit this year and have got on the early morning service from BPN three times I think. Each time I'd say there has been about 30-50 stay on it at Preston. Quite a few get off. Always a few in first as well.

TEW

Established Member
People seem to think the Virgin Trains Blackpool North service has value. It runs at the same frequency and at similar times.
The biggest problem with the 0602 Guildford-Newcastle is that it has gained, quite rightly, a reputation for being unreliable. It is cancelled, with little or no notice, far too frequently for anybody to rely on catching it.

tsr

Established Member
What needs to happen if the timetabling is going to be rigorous is an examination of if there needs to be an extra train to South Croydon. If there does, a way to provide that needs to be found, and you don't use revenue issues as a reason why this might not happen. I have no idea of there is a need for this stop or not but it's very strange to suggest the main reason the idea isn't acceptable is because the guards wouldn't like it. Who are all of these East Grinstead line passengers who need to buy onboard in the daytime anyway?

gtr driver has got it spot on. There is indeed little passenger benefit due to an extra service stopping, much less 2 East Grinstead services per hour.

It's not so much that guards wouldn't like it, they'd just be later getting everything done. There are numerous passengers without tickets boarding East Grinstead trains at all hours of the day, particularly from Lingfield, Hurst Green and Sanderstead, for reasons varying between "won't pay unless challenged" to "at those stations always at least a few people get on, some of whom turn up and want to use the one or two TVMs at the same time".

At the moment, if you are a guard on that line, you can sell two or three tickets between Sanderstead and East Croydon, if you position yourself well within the train. Or move your bags from whichever inaccessible location they are in, so you are ready to handover at East Croydon. Or deal with a faulty toilet which will be no good when people flood on at the next stop (no pun intended). If it is a twelve coach service, or indeed anything beyond six coaches for that matter, there are very few options for dispatch positions on the Up except at Oxted, Woldingham, Sanderstead and East Croydon, so these stations are ideal if you need to pop down to one end of the train or another to do something, as you can then dispatch the train from anywhere along its length (with the exception of a few coaches at Oxted). Time is at a premium as you only usually have 2-5mins between stops. (Most trains are formed of six/eight or more coaches during the day; a couple are three/four, a couple twelve).

Now try to add in a dispatch from South Croydon. Suddenly you have lost potentially £20-£30 in revenue as there's no time for it. Ideally the guard must be towards the middle of the front eight coaches at South Croydon, which in turn means they will be positioning themselves about 5 minutes earlier, say just after Riddlesdown, where every fare evader in the land knows where the guard has to dispatch from. South Croydon's platforms are only eight coaches long and are very hazardous due to the surface and step down. Manual announcements may be required, and of all the stations on the line, this is one which requires absolute maximum concentration. All for about 3 passengers, except during the school run, where some 10 year olds will come and leave unmentionable stuff all over your train. And then lo and behold, your bags are in coach 9, you're in coach 5, and your colleague at East Croydon is waiting at coach 6 to hand over. Well done, you're 3 late and the all stations Victoria stopper is sat behind you, which also calls at South Croydon but more importantly Selhurst to pick up a whole load more crew, whose train has now missed its path and now every service to the back of beyond is delayed at Victoria.

I don't want to repeat myself any more, but trust me, I am one of those people who has an awful lot to do with East Grinstead services. And this would happen...

Last edited:

Argosy

I didn't necessarily mean the Ayr to Girvan service in question running as a shuttle. I just meant that it would be possible with two services crossing over at Ayr. Although with the projected service being a shuttle, you are right. It is also a reason why the service is interworked with Kilmarnock to Stranraer with the shuttle unit being spare for a hour at Ayr.

To be honest, the service on the southern end is fine, probably as close to hourly as we are going to get. It's the northern end of this route which has problems.

I agree that the mid-afternoon service between Girvan and Kilmarnock does stick out and I mentioned that in my original post. I've been trying to think of several solutions but there are several things conflicting this service at the Kilmarnock end (Glasgow to Newcastle services, trains required in Glasgow for the rush hour). It could even be possible to squeeze Girvan to Kilmarnock into a (roughly) hourly service with every second service stopping at Prestwick Town/Airport but this will leave little room for freight traffic on the single line from Barassie. It could also cause problems if there were any delays.

The Sunday services via Kilwinning are mostly harmless and I think that they should stay. I am aware that the line via Kilwinning tends to be quite busy Monday to Saturday and it may not make much difference if the Stranraer services were axed (one such service leaves Glasgow at 0938 and doesn't reach Ayr until 1037, following a stopping service throughout the journey), but the Sunday service doesn't have many problems and the 1249 arrival from Stranraer in Glasgow allows passengers five hours in the city.

Anyway, the current service to Stranraer especially has flaws so I hope that there is at least some form of change to the official timetable. The projected timetable on OTT, while having obvious flaws, is a start and it would be nice to see some of it implemented onto the official timetable. As TS mentioned in the article, the main problem with allowing a service like this to occur is infrastructure.

It will be interesting to see how the final timetable turns out.

The missing Ayr - Kilmarnock and return is being put back in apparently. Don't know why it was taken out. Missing out Prestwick though is nuts. The reason they have done it is to save a unit.

dk1

Veteran Member
I've been working in Preston quite a bit this year and have got on the early morning service from BPN three times I think. Each time I'd say there has been about 30-50 stay on it at Preston. Quite a few get off. Always a few in first as well.

That's a reasonable loading. Weekend workings are still some way off but a service out of the resort on a Sunday afternoon I think would be very popular indeed. The Shrewsbury has more luck as it simply bolts on to the WM service. Blackpool needs to stand alone & await paths with the Norton Bridge upgrade.

The Planner

Veteran Member
That's a reasonable loading. Weekend workings are still some way off but a service out of the resort on a Sunday afternoon I think would be very popular indeed. The Shrewsbury has more luck as it simply bolts on to the WM service. Blackpool needs to stand alone & await paths with the Norton Bridge upgrade.

Norton Bridge won't do anything for that.

dk1

Veteran Member
Norton Bridge won't do anything for that.

Thought it was going to allow two extra passenger paths per-hour possibly allowing additional stopping service from Preston-Euston to allow a speed up of the Glasgow trains. I know half-hourly Liverpools are another contender.

Argosy

No step free access to part of the station at Ayr is actually a real disappointment. I'm surprised Transport Scotland haven't acted on that already given its relative importance. Is there no work planned?

The solution. if one wants to put it that way, was to get passengers to change between the Stranraer line services and Glasgow services at Troon. Prestwick was another option but according to OTT the new Dec tt will see both Prestwick stops omitted.:roll:

The Planner

Veteran Member
Thought it was going to allow two extra passenger paths per-hour possibly allowing additional stopping service from Preston-Euston to allow a speed up of the Glasgow trains. I know half-hourly Liverpools are another contender.

There arent two extra paths south of Rugby to have, especially so with Euston getting dug up and Alliance with the OAO paths.

dk1

Veteran Member
There arent two extra paths south of Rugby to have, especially so with Euston getting dug up and Alliance with the OAO paths.

I thought you where ignoring me lol. Oh well that's what I heard. I wouldn't have given out to that Aliance bunch over the WC proper operator anyway but that's my opinion. They are only running a paltry 6 trains a day anyway. Where are all the rest going?

http://www.networkrail.co.uk/improvements/stafford-crewe/

Last edited:

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
I'm thinking that this thread is getting bogged down with nitty gritty details instead of the Timetable Alterations themselves. Hope the Mods don't mind me posting this.

Lincoln

I've always wondered if they could run the empty train from Leeds to Lincoln on a Saturday, and Leeds to Harrogate on a Sunday in service.

They do when special events are on such as the Lincoln Christmas market. If you take a look on Friday 4 and Saturday 6 December on real time trains the empties are now running in passenger service.

I presume the projected passenger loading for any other time wouldn't achieve the desired income level.

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
Interesting it no longer runs via Goole, so only the morning ECS to Hull will serve for diversionary route retention.

Does that mean only northbound diversions will be possible with reduced route knowledge held by VTEC crews?

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor
I am very confused about the billed new service from Leeds on Saturday morning at 0940. It doesn't appear to be new at all and already runs in the current timetable?

Stats

I am very confused about the billed new service from Leeds on Saturday morning at 0940. It doesn't appear to be new at all and already runs in the current timetable?
They have introduced this new service early, with it running from 17 October.

55z

Their press release shows it an additional service for Christmas shoppers at 0940 from Leeds to Kx returning with 1903 KX to Leeds (I think)

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
When is the new thameslink timetable released?

TOCs do not normally upload web versions until around three weeks in advance, about the same time as paper timetables become available behind the counter.

However online planners will already be based on the new timetable, because we are well within the 12 week deadline for the timetable to firm up.

Class377/5

Established Member
When is the new thameslink timetable released?

TOCs do not normally upload web versions until around three weeks in advance, about the same time as paper timetables become available behind the counter.

However online planners will already be based on the new timetable, because we are well within the 12 week deadline for the timetable to firm up.

It'll be out soon enough. Only just been finished. There some interest stuff planned.

Thomas6187

The Liverpool Lime Street/South Parkway-Preston services will start running as a Class 1 service from December

Loop & Link

They been keeping to time well despite the 4 min turnaround at Preston, think this is an extra incentive for the not to get regulated left, right and centre on the WCML!

Status
Not open for further replies.