• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

December 2015 Timetable Change

Status
Not open for further replies.

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor
Another nice touch from ScotRail: an additional train from Glasgow Central to Lanark will run at 2320, terminating there at 0012, and taking over from the 2250 as the final train of the night.

I have mentioned Lanark before as somewhere seen as relatively desirable to live with a good train service and access to a major UK city, and my biggest caveat was that 2250 is a tad disappointing for last public transport from the regional centre.

They know what they're doing these Scots don't they! I can think of certain posters in England who will be very jealous.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

380gk

Carsrairs will have an even later service won't they from central, as the last whifflet(?) Extends there.

berneyarms

Established Member
New PDF timetables are now available online for the following TOCs, all starting in December:

Arriva Trains Wales
c2c
Chiltern
Cross Country Trains
East Midlands Trains
First Transpennine Express (except Manchester Airport-North West)
Great Northern
London Midland
London Overground
Merseyrail (On Merseytravel website)
Northern
Scotrail
Southern
Southeastern
South West Trains
Thameslink
Virgin Trains
Virgin Trains East Coast

DaveHarries

Established Member
While at Swansea today I saw that ATW / TAC have put up posters advising of the changes. There is a link to this on their website but the link, when I checked it just now, is currently broken.

One interesting change seems to be the provision of a number of additional early morning and late evening services for Ninian Park (Cardiff) (station code NNP). The following trains will now call there once the new timetables take effect:

Mondays to Fridays:
0535 Cardiff Central - Milford Haven (calls at 0539)
0642 Cardiff Central - Pembroke Dock (calls at 0645)
1914 Milford Haven - Cardiff Central (calls at 2153)
2115 Maesteg - Cardiff Central (calls at 2204)
1959 Tenby - Cardiff Central (calls at 2249)

Saturdays:
2115 Maesteg - Cardiff Central (calls at 2206

Rather interesting. The posters displayed by ATW state that all the extra trains, including the ones heading west, will use platform 1 which is signalled for bi-directional working. With the access road to / from ATW's Canton depot being about 30 seconds walk from Platform 1 at NNP, I presume - rightly or otherwise - that the idea of the extra services is to provide more shuttles for staff?

Dave

adrock1976

Established Member
What's it called? It's called Cumbernauld
While at Swansea today I saw that ATW / TAC have put up posters advising of the changes. There is a link to this on their website but the link, when I checked it just now, is currently broken.

One interesting change seems to be the provision of a number of additional early morning and late evening services for Ninian Park (Cardiff) (station code NNP). The following trains will now call there once the new timetables take effect:

Mondays to Fridays:
0535 Cardiff Central - Milford Haven (calls at 0539)
0642 Cardiff Central - Pembroke Dock (calls at 0645)
1914 Milford Haven - Cardiff Central (calls at 2153)
2115 Maesteg - Cardiff Central (calls at 2204)
1959 Tenby - Cardiff Central (calls at 2249)

Saturdays:
2115 Maesteg - Cardiff Central (calls at 2206

Rather interesting. The posters displayed by ATW state that all the extra trains, including the ones heading west, will use platform 1 which is signalled for bi-directional working. With the access road to / from ATW's Canton depot being about 30 seconds walk from Platform 1 at NNP, I presume - rightly or otherwise - that the idea of the extra services is to provide more shuttles for staff?

Dave

Would this mean that the above services would rejoin GWR metals (westbound) at Leckwith Junction off the Taff Vale Railway after calling Ninian Park?

markymark2000

On Moderation
Does anyone know when National Rail enquiries will update their website with all these timetable changes? I cant seem to find the summaries anywhere. Not even on the TOCs websites. There is just the timetables.

berneyarms

Established Member
I'm not sure what you mean? The NRE journey planner will already be updated with the new timetables. If you mean the full printed timetable, this is on the Network Rail site http://www.networkrail.co.uk/aspx/3828.aspx

That's only just been updated this morning!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
But they don't seem to have included any of the maps/diagrams unfortunately.

Bizarrely the (still) current timetable has vanished from that page.

darloscott

Just having a look at some Northern services. It looks like they've combined the 1830 Barrow-Workington and 1934 Whitehaven-Carlisle into one through service. Presumably it will run as a 4-car from Whitehaven-Carlisle.

markymark2000

On Moderation
I'm not sure what you mean? The NRE journey planner will already be updated with the new timetables. If you mean the full printed timetable, this is on the Network Rail site http://www.networkrail.co.uk/aspx/3828.aspx

I do not mean the journey planner. If you go to Changes to Train Times and then go to Timetable Changes then it still has the May changes.

Taunton

Established Member
I see the "Complete Timetable" has been put on line, but is anything but complete, because there are only the separate pdfs for each one, about 300 in all. For those of us who keep the full single pdf on their laptop desktop, I do hope they are going to do a proper "Complete Timetable".

heart-of-wessex

Established Member
Looks like the SWT service to/from Yeovil via Westbury is once a day pretty much using the old ECS route learner path, with some alterations. Some people I was talking to were thinking it was going to be an hourly or so service

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Some people I was talking to were thinking it was going to be an hourly or so service

They mustn't have seen the track access application, which was quite clear that it was never going to be a regular service. As you've worked out it basically just brings the route retention paths into passenger service, but there are some Pen Mill to/from Junction short workings.

bunnahabhain

Established Member
EMT changes are relatively minor, a few minutes here or there, of note however.

Ilkeston station delayed until Summer 2016.
0641 Nottingham to Skegness now calls additionally at Rauceby (0746).
1634 Lincoln to Leicester now calls additionally at Carlton (1723).
The Ambergate Flyer now gains a connection to London from Derby at 0722 by a minutes adjustment to the 0721.

infobleep

Veteran Member
http://www.southwesttrains.co.uk/december-timetable.aspx?stop_mobi=yes#177437

The 1923 London Waterloo to Surbiton will be extended to Hampton Court

I think the above service currently runs ECS to Hampton Court.

I'd have liked it to run to Woking as there are no fast services south from Surbiton for an hour and 20 minutes. 18.40-20.00.

Clearly that isn't possible so at least this additional service is running. There are
no other hours where an additional service runs to Hampton Court.

Interestingly they are also extending services to Guildford via Woking. Not that many services run to Guildford but it will no doubt help those that do and all those that start at Woking. During the morning peak, I thought most of the Woking to London stoppers are 12 car 450s anyway.

I also see on the mainline a couple of services are having their lengths reduced so other services that need the carriages more can use them.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Regarding "The 1923 London Waterloo to Surbiton will be extended to Hampton Court"

I think the above service currently runs ECS to Hampton Court.

I'd have liked it to run to Woking as there are no fast services south from Surbiton for an hour and 20 minutes. 18.40-20.00.

But after running empty to Hampton Court it returns in normal service to Waterloo. If you diverted it for a Woking run you'd cause a gap in the clock face departures from Hampton Court. No good looking at these things in isolation...

infobleep

Veteran Member
But after running empty to Hampton Court it returns in normal service to Waterloo. If you diverted it for a Woking run you'd cause a gap in the clock face departures from Hampton Court. No good looking at these things in isolation...

I agree.

I think issue with running fast services to Woking is the need for that service to form the next Hampton Court services and for 2 additional stopping services to run from Surbiton southwards. The previous two hours, the 23 mins service isn't required to form the next Hampton Court service but the additional stopping services are still required.

They can't get rid of stopping services as they are well used from Waterloo. I'm not saying they have spare coaches to run the next Hampton Court service. It's probably a case of nothing can be done so you go for what is the must useful to the most number error of passengers.

Last edited:

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor
Direct trains to Glasgow from Stranraer "reprieved" apparently.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
Does anyone know if, additional fast services from Waterloo to Shepperton have been introduced in the new timetable? I did have look online but services don't seem to have changed. I was told by a member of SWT staff this line was to improve.

I shall have to try to get a new SWT Timetable next time I am in the Waterloo area this week. I presume they are out now?

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Does anyone know if, additional fast services from Waterloo to Shepperton have been introduced in the new timetable? I did have look online but services don't seem to have changed. I was told by a member of SWT staff this line was to improve.

I shall have to try to get a new SWT Timetable next time I am in the Waterloo area this week. I presume they are out now?

The pdfs have been on the website a week or two now, and are probably available on request but won't be in the racks yet. There's nothing really obvious that jumps out comparing the two pdfs:

May 15 http://www.southwesttrains.co.uk/uploads/ptt01may2015.pdf
Dec 15 http://www.southwesttrains.co.uk/uploads/1512ptt01.pdf

If you followed the link infobleep posted earlier it mentions a couple of longer trains to Shepperton, but only when the 458/5 programme is complete.

TEW

Established Member
The pdfs have been on the website a week or two now, and are probably available on request but won't be in the racks yet.
The new timetables are on display at Waterloo already if anyone wants to pick them up.

geoffk

Established Member
I've seen this new SWT service and expected to see more Yeovil Jn - Pen Mill journeys.
I suppose they are geared to travel to/from London.

The paths might have been better used by extending Great Western's Swindon - Westbury service to Castle Cary and Yeovil Jn.

In the past there plans for a west to south curve at Yeovil Jn which would have enabled Bristol - Weymouth trains to call there. Journeys like Exeter - Weymouth would then become much easier. I presume that idea has been abandoned, likewise the idea of a two-level interchange where the LSWR and GWR lines cross.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
I've seen this new SWT service and expected to see more Yeovil Jn - Pen Mill journeys.
I suppose they are geared to travel to/from London.

The paths might have been better used by extending Great Western's Swindon - Westbury service to Castle Cary and Yeovil Jn.

In the past there plans for a west to south curve at Yeovil Jn which would have enabled Bristol - Weymouth trains to call there. Journeys like Exeter - Weymouth would then become much easier. I presume that idea has been abandoned, likewise the idea of a two-level interchange where the LSWR and GWR lines cross.

You'd need an extra (there aren't any) unit to extend the Swindon that far.They have managed to fit one Frome extension in.

Status
Not open for further replies.