December 2019 Timetable Change

Discussion in 'Allocations, Diagrams & Timetables' started by Starmill, 22 May 2019.

1. mm333

mm333 Member

The departure time isn’t a change. It looks like it’s still 0622 Tue-Fri but 0600 on Mondays as it runs early as the sleeper sits in Plymouth longer on a Monday than it does on any other weekday morning. For some reason.

2. HamworthyGoods

HamworthyGoods Member

The sleeper is in a different path on Monday mornings to the rest of the week beyond Exeter due to a longer overnight engineering access period along the sea wall on Sunday nights.

3. SWRtrain_fan

SWRtrain_fan Member

In the SWR September 2019 Customer Report, it states "We plan to deliver more of our planned improvements through future timetables, including this December". Does anyone know of any additional services SWR will be providing?
    Edit: I just realised in the SWR new services thread there's some extra Reading to Waterloo services.

Last edited: 19 Sep 2019
  4. swt_passenger

swt_passenger Veteran Member

That’s about all there is in fact, having spent some time searching.

5. SWRtrain_fan

SWRtrain_fan Member

Right, thanks for any searching you did.

6. HamworthyGoods

HamworthyGoods Member

See this post for full details ^

7. SWRtrain_fan

SWRtrain_fan Member

Ah right, thanks.

8. CptCharlee

CptCharlee Member

With crosscountry I have noticed there is two Plymouth to Manchester Piccadilly services within and hour of each other on Sundays...

1200 Plymouth to Manchester Piccadilly
    1253 Plymouth to Manchester Piccadilly

There is a further one at 1453 I think so is nice to see 3 daily ones albeit on a Sunday only!

9. sufian123

sufian123 Member

It’s the same as current timetable.
    1200 ply-man
    1253 ply-man
    1230 pnz-man (1434 off ply) nothing changed it’s still the same in December.

10. Class 170101

Class 170101 Established Member

One on weekdays and Saturdays

11. Starmill

Starmill Events Co-ordinator

One amusing one I noticed is that the new 1705 departure from Corby connecting to an express train to London at Kettering produced a shorter journey time by about 5 minutes than the through train does. Other new Corby to Kettering services don't seem to offer a London connection, unless I'm mistaken.

12. Jorge Da Silva

Jorge Da Silva Established Member

https://www.nationalrail.co.uk/service_disruptions/48.aspx

national rail website

13. Starmill

I am struggling to follow this. Which Preston to Leeds service?
    Surely they mean Bradford Interchange, not Leeds.
    This is confusing.
    Possibly even more confusing...

This one is true bit a bit disingenuous. It Implies that Edinburgh and Morpeth don't already have direct trains to West Yorkshire stations, when there are already quite a few.

Last edited: 10 Nov 2019
  14. rg177

rg177 Established Member

Yes indeed I'm glad that Huddersfield to Manchester stoppers are no longer stopping at Garforth, that must have really extended the journey times :lol:

15. splashoutradio

splashoutradio Member

It seems a regular feature, Northern not proof reading their timetable update text. If I remember correctly, they issued a press release about a Southport to Manchester via Wigan North Western service in May, too...

16. gingerheid

gingerheid Member

Oh really? *suspicious face*

Remember when Cambridge North was supposed to be getting 4 Thameslink trains per hour?

17. Ant158

Ant158 Member

There is only one Preston to Leeds service, this is the Blackpool To York Service via the Calder Valley. Thought they had already reinstated the through journeys to York?

18. markymark2000

markymark2000 Member

From what I can see, the Blackpool North to York and the Leeds to York (via Garforth) will basically no longer work together and will instead be standalone services.

19. Ianno87

Ianno87 Established Member

Given most of the Thameslink (actually Kings Cross stoppers presently) through to North have fewer passengers than I have fingers I doubt they'll be missed. Doing the GA service half-hourly is probably better overall anyway - a more useful London service (one semi-fast per hour) than the super-slow GN service.

Besides - all 4tph Thameslink was never promised - it would exceed the capacity of the bay. The original proposal from an early consultation was to send the Brightons through, but this was instead of, not in addition to, the stoppers.

20. TPlanner93

TPlanner93 New Member

Haven't the majority of the Northern changes listed on the NRE website already happened as part of the May 19 timetable change? Perhaps someone has uploaded the wrong text........

21. Kite159

Kite159 Veteran Member

Good news for Cooksbridge no longer being "limited served".

22. Glenn1969

Glenn1969 Member

Northern have definitely sent the wrong text to NRE

23. 1D53

1D53 Established Member

Correct to allow 195s to be used on Blackpool. The Sundays through Blackpool York is brought back which is perhaps what the original text meant.

24. gingerheid

gingerheid Member

It's not easy to see what purpose the additional GA services are suppised to meet. There'll be more off peak semi fast services, but no extra peak services into Cambridge or back from London.

They won't be helping meet a commuter need into Cambridge North or South of Cambridge.

25. bramling

bramling Established Member

The purpose is quite simple - they are able to fit at Cambridge North but cannot fit in Cambridge platforms 2 and 3, so it was a solution to an operational headache.

I agree that I don’t think this was ever the plan originally, but it probably won’t cause that much hardship. One lot of stations lose their connectivity to Cambridge North whilst another gain. I don’t think either has a particular claim on the greater flow.

26. HamworthyGoods

HamworthyGoods Member

It’s purely operational - 8 car Thameslink 700s fit into the south end bays at Cambridge the new GA units don’t do so have to run through to Cambridge North

27. markymark2000

markymark2000 Member

Blackpool to York will continue to run but the trains will run Blackpool - York - Blackpool whereas currently they run Blackpool - York - Leeds - York - Blackpool.

28. Starmill

That isn't actually a timetable change in the general meaning of the term though, is it? It's just different rolling stock diagrams, which may be supporting the same timetable.

29. markymark2000

markymark2000 Member

I suppose. That is the best that I could come up with though given the text on NationalRail.

30. Starmill

Speaking of which, it looks like the following has been put up in its place: