• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

December 2022 Timetable Changes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

markyl

Local social media groups are stating Orpington are loosing all “fast” trains from December is there anything concrete to read on the SE changes or is this all rumours

nuneatonmark

The connection time is about 15 minutes IIRC, Manchester to Leicester will be about 1hr35 via Nuneaton. Northbound the connection is less good, but still competitive compared to going via Sheffield (30 min connection, journey time Leicester to Manchester about 2 hours).
Can anyone point me in the direction of where the new Nuneaton stop in the Avanti Manchester service is officially documented please? Thanks in advance. About time, but great to hear.

Class 466

Established Member
Local social media groups are stating Orpington are loosing all “fast” trains from December is there anything concrete to read on the SE changes or is this all rumours
I'm sure I read a reply on twitter saying that Station Staff were telling people this without there actually being any evidence of it happening

The Planner

Veteran Member
It crawls past Stafford going northbound. If they stopped it Stafford they could allow the xx40 Euston Manchester service in front of it as it always is late into Crewe
That is because of the infrastructure and isnt timetable related. It certainly doesnt find you the three minutes a stop would cost you currently. With the current timetable you would be adding 7 minutes into the Scotland train as it can't follow the Manchester at Norton Bridge until 3 minutes after.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Where would they lose them to? Is the suggestion that all Hastings and East Kent services run fast London Bridge to Sevenoaks, which seems unlikely, or that they call all stations, which is also unlikely, or that some of the services are being withdrawn altogether, which also seems unlikely?

Established Member
Is the suggestion that all Hastings and East Kent services run fast London Bridge to Sevenoaks

Yes, although I believe Charing Cross to Tunbridge Wells services will call in the hours they run

Wrt Hastings services, I remember a few years ago the aspiration being to run these fast Tonbridge - London Bridge, so maybe they’ve finally pressed through these (daft) changes

Peregrine 4903

Established Member

Where would they lose them to? Is the suggestion that all Hastings and East Kent services run fast London Bridge to Sevenoaks, which seems unlikely, or that they call all stations, which is also unlikely, or that some of the services are being withdrawn altogether, which also seems unlikely.

I know the answer and would certainly say Orpington is not a winner in Dec22.

Class 466

Established Member
Wrt Hastings services, I remember a few years ago the aspiration being to run these fast Tonbridge - London Bridge, so maybe they’ve finally pressed through these (daft) changes
Not daft at all. That was based around 4tph coming from Ashford, with 2tph from Tunbridge Wells and then The Hastings services which are normally full by Tonbridge would run fast.

brad465

Established Member
Yes, although I believe Charing Cross to Tunbridge Wells services will call in the hours they run
Pre-covid, and to an extent at the moment, these services swapped Orpington for Chelsfield in the peak, which meant Orpington had no fast services in core peak hours (although Chelsfield is on the southern edge of Orpington so some passengers may have been okay). If Orpington needs a fast service then SE ought to bring back the Tunbridge Wells' semi-fasts all day, rather than just the peaks and an hour either side.

Not daft at all. That was based around 4tph coming from Ashford, with 2tph from Tunbridge Wells and then The Hastings services which are normally full by Tonbridge would run fast.
Is this still an aspiration?

With 4tph from ashford it's not daft, but without those, it's daft. And knowing the way things are going, it's going to be without those 4tph

A S Leib

Any idea if there'll be even a few trains per day from Luton / Luton Airport Parkway / Bedford to Nottingham / Sheffield?

Class 466

Established Member
Pre-covid, and to an extent at the moment, these services swapped Orpington for Chelsfield in the peak, which meant Orpington had no fast services in core peak hours (although Chelsfield is on the southern edge of Orpington so some passengers may have been okay). If Orpington needs a fast service then SE ought to bring back the Tunbridge Wells' semi-fasts all day, rather than just the peaks and an hour either side.

Is this still an aspiration?
With 4tph from ashford it's not daft, but without those, it's daft. And knowing the way things are going, it's going to be without those 4tph
I believe off peak it will now only be 2tph

OrangeJuice

That is because of the infrastructure and isnt timetable related. It certainly doesnt find you the three minutes a stop would cost you currently. With the current timetable you would be adding 7 minutes into the Scotland train as it can't follow the Manchester at Norton Bridge until 3 minutes after.
I think the via Crewe Manchester was going to call at Stafford too anyway

jnjkerbin

Yes, there is a new Maidstone to Charing Cross service from December which is essentially in lieu of the proposed Thameslink services.
Is that a regular all day service, or an infrequenst addition like the recently introduced Maidstone East - Blackfriars trains which I assume they'll replace?

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Yes, there is a new Maidstone to Charing Cross service from December which is essentially in lieu of the proposed Thameslink services.

That sounds as though it could be quite handy for people, given the location of Charing Cross and Waterloo.

Status
Not open for further replies.