• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Decent Hotels in Cardiff, Oban and Norwich

Status
Not open for further replies.

Requeststop

Planning ahead for a major UK bash in Late February. I'm in need of advice of good overnight hotels in:

Cardiff - Close to either Central or Queen Street Stations

Oban - Friday Night, and with a decent restaurant.

Norwich - Again Close to the station and with a decent restaurant.

Also, on my planned journey, I have an hour at Crianlarich, and two and a half hours at Mallaig.

Any advice on things to do at each location?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

onein37

The Big Sleep in Cardiff is about half way between the two stations and has cracking view of both lines if you get the tight room.

Established Member
Premier Inn are having a £19 January sale,with stays up until around the end of March.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
I can personally recommend the Angel Hotel in Cardiff, a short walk up Westgate Street from Central, and maybe a slightly longer walk to Queen St.

I stayed in a comfortable hotel just about opposite the station in Oban, and (at least in those days) it had very good food. The breakfast was excellent as well.

I have also stayed in a reasonable hotel in Norwich, just out of the station and turn right instead of left (left takes towards the city centre). It was colloquially know, or so I am told, as the 'pink palace' due to the colour of its external walls, but I understand that shortly after my stay it was bought out and the pink colour was removed!

eastdyke

Established Member
The Norwich Nelson City Centre Premier Inn is on the river frontage just over the bridge from the station entrance. Not originally built as a Premier Inn, the Hotel is better than some. Wouldn't eat there though I would go to St.Benedicts Street, around a mile away, for a good selection of 'niche' small eateries. My personal preference is often the 'french bistro' St Benedicts Restaurant, 9 St Benedicts, Norwich NR2 4PE.

If you wanted a slightly more central hotel, The Maids Head (4 star) is close by the Cathedral (and much nearer to St Benedicts St.) around half mile from the station. Could eat in the Hotel (1 rosette) or the Cafe/Bar opposite called Take 5 (not open Sunday evenings) serves food and a good pint of ale.

There are lots of places to eat in Norwich to suit most tastes and budgets.

Requeststop

I can add to this by thoroughly commending to you the Premier Inn at 4 Duke Street, Norwich. The rooms are fairly new and meet a high standard.

Thanks. Have checked on line and made a booking.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
The Norwich Nelson City Centre Premier Inn is on the river frontage just over the bridge from the station entrance. Not originally built as a Premier Inn, the Hotel is better than some. Wouldn't eat there though I would go to St.Benedicts Street, around a mile away, for a good selection of 'niche' small eateries. My personal preference is often the 'french bistro' St Benedicts Restaurant, 9 St Benedicts, Norwich NR2 4PE.

If you wanted a slightly more central hotel, The Maids Head (4 star) is close by the Cathedral (and much nearer to St Benedicts St.) around half mile from the station. Could eat in the Hotel (1 rosette) or the Cafe/Bar opposite called Take 5 (not open Sunday evenings) serves food and a good pint of ale.

Thanks I'll be looking around for a place to eat.
I can personally recommend the Angel Hotel in Cardiff, a short walk up Westgate Street from Central, and maybe a slightly longer walk to Queen St.

I stayed in a comfortable hotel just about opposite the station in Oban, and (at least in those days) it had very good food. The breakfast was excellent as well.

I have also stayed in a reasonable hotel in Norwich, just out of the station and turn right instead of left (left takes towards the city centre). It was colloquially know, or so I am told, as the 'pink palace' due to the colour of its external walls, but I understand that shortly after my stay it was bought out and the pink colour was removed!

I have found 3 hotels close to the station at Oban The Caledonian, The Palace Hotel and The Columba. Do these names ring any bells?

507 001

Established Member
Thanks. Have checked on line and made a booking.

Thanks I'll be looking around for a place to eat.

I have found 3 hotels close to the station at Oban The Caledonian, The Palace Hotel and The Columba. Do these names ring any bells?

I don't think you could go wrong with the Caledonian or the Columba, both seem to be fairly decent, although I've never stayed in them I do spend a lot of time in Oban. If your looking for places to eat then there's the Oban fish and chip shop towards the top of George street, Markie dans (cheap and cheerful pub) on the front by the corran halls and there's also ee-usk (seafood) and piazza(?)Italian) on the old quay near the Columba (they're both in the building with the bright red roof, you can't miss it!)

route:oxford

Established Member

Things change a lot, but I stayed in "The Maids Head" in early 2005 - and it was quite dreadful.

The hotel reception smelled of wet cabbage, room keys came with a large "paddle" type keyring, the furniture and fixtures were tired, room service was awful, and my window looked straight into the window of the room opposite. I was in the "new wing" ie, 1960s being newer than 1700... The ceiling was so low that I had to kneel in the bath to have a shower - there was also no heating in the bathroom.

I checked out after the 2nd night (much fuss at reception as I'd booked for 5 nights) and switched to the de Vere outside of town. This was not only £40 a night cheaper, but only £6 each way in a taxi.

Requeststop

Thanks for the advice everyone. Both to those of you here in the forum and those of you who sent PM's. I have now booked all my accomodation for the bash. Look out for updates on the bash in the appropriate forums in February.

Status
Not open for further replies.