• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Decent model shops in London?

Status
Not open for further replies.

24Grange

Hi,

Thinking of treating myself to a trip to London next week ( coming into Kings Cross). Anyone know if there are still any " good" what I would call "traditional" model shops in existence ( with things like 2nd hand railway stuff, paints, glues etc) That I could visit ( ideally near a tube?)

They seem to be a dying breed, with everything now being ordered on line - its not the same I like to look and possible handle stuff I'd like to buy.

Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

John Webb

Established Member
The simple answer is that there are no such model shops in central London any more. See this link for information on what is around. Of those mentioned on the linked website, Jane's Trains in Tooting seems to be the nearest!

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
The simple answer is that there are no such model shops in central London any more. See this link for information on what is around. Of those mentioned on the linked website, Jane's Trains in Tooting seems to be the nearest!
Yes, I have used and visited Janes Trains Tooting, turn left out of the mainline Thameslink Station, (Handy for direct trains from the low level platforms next door at STP.) it is yellowish outside and quite small, check their website though for opening hours.

John Webb

Established Member
24 Grange: Just noticed that your location is given as Baldock. Are you aware of KS Models at 19 Middle Row in Stevenage Old Town? They're about a mile from the station at Stevenage. See their website www.ks-models.co.uk for details. They are the nearest to a trad model railway shop that I know of in Herts/Beds.

24Grange

Thanks for all the replies. As suspected they seem to be a dying breed and are few and far between. I'll have a look at Janes Trains. Thanks

John - Thanks, yes know about Ks Models, which are very good. Just fancied a change that's all.

Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.