• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Declassified 1st class when trains are advertised as Standard Class only

Status
Not open for further replies.

All Line Rover

Established Member
I suggest you read the legally binding terms and conditions of NRE:

End of as you would say.

Are you suggesting that I should not trust anything NRE say, then? Are you claiming NRE is in error when it says that a train is Standard Class only, in seeming accordance with the TOC in question, whose timetable is missing a '1' symbol for that particular train?

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ralphchadkirk

Established Member
Are you suggesting that I should not trust anything NRE say, then? Are you claiming NRE is in error when it says that a train is Standard Class only, in seeming accordance with the TOC in question, whose timetable is missing a '1' symbol for that particular train?

Don't be silly. I am sure you can understand what I'm saying. Trying to claim that because some marketing drivel might mean that anything that NRE says is law is incorrect as the terms and conditions state.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

Wolfie

Established Member
Don't be silly. I am sure you can understand what I'm saying. Trying to claim that because some marketing drivel might mean that anything that NRE says is law is incorrect as the terms and conditions state.

Hum, I must disagree that NRE is "marketing drivel". It is what ATOC tells the consumer is the definitive source of advice. While it is not, as you say, law the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations (1999) certainly is. That clearly states that if a contractual term creates an unfair balance in detriment to the consumer it can be suppressed. By definition the accuracy exclusion hidden in the small print of NRE falls foul of this.

Now it may be that the railway industry is exempt from the Regulations but I think any TOC taking legal action and relying on that exclusion (ATOC - a group of TOCs- telling you where to go and look for information and then one of those very same TOCs penalising you whan that very same information is inaccurate.....) would be opening themselves and ATOC to a whole mountain of grief, including demands for a revisit to the legally obsolescent consumer unfriendly legislation around railway fares - the Daily Mail and/or Express will mount a new campaign!!!

Will they open that Pandora's box? Not a chance.

All Line Rover

Established Member

Quoting a part of NRE's T&C's that says that NRE can make mistakes, in response to something said by NRE that is completely correct, also seems a little silly.

The "about us" section of NRE is not "marketing drivel." What it says is correct - that it is the definitive source of information for all rail journeys in England, Scotland and Wales (providing that information is correct of course, as per the T&C's - which in this case it is), which means that some wacky interpretation of the rules by some managers at NXEA (and perhaps Greater Anglia) should not override what NRE says.

AndyLandy

Established Member
I haven't been on a standard only VT since the 18.43 was loco-hauled but there was certainly no issue with VT denying access or trying to charge extra on it. As soon as the train was announced a large number of passengers (regulars no doubt) would make a charge for the 1st class coaches which would fill up very quickly.

I'm sure there was a time when Virgin declassified Coach G on their Pendolinos during the Summer months, maybe they even still do this. There was no secret about it, they even made announcements on the train that Coach G was declassified for use by standard class ticket holders, so I'd expect VT to be pretty good about declassifications in general.

All Line Rover

Established Member
I'm sure there was a time when Virgin declassified Coach G on their Pendolinos during the Summer months, maybe they even still do this. There was no secret about it, they even made announcements on the train that Coach G was declassified for use by standard class ticket holders, so I'd expect VT to be pretty good about declassifications in general.

No, no more - especially now that most Pendolinos are being lengthened.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Is the train really saying 'F U'?!

Well:

11%2BCar.jpg

Source

34D

Established Member
Off-topic, and I know this coach U is standard class, but the APT of 30 years previous had an 'unclassified' coach (which I think was next to the buffet).

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Off-topic, and I know this coach U is standard class, but the APT of 30 years previous had an 'unclassified' coach (which I think was next to the buffet).

Wasn't that for the restaurant? I'm sure vehicles that were had a U in their designation were for restaurants hence being next to the buffet (could be wrong though). Actually isn't the lounge car on the Night Rivera classified as a TBUO (or something similar)?

All Line Rover

Established Member
There was a full Pendolino declassified today at EUS, formed the 1857 to Manchester Piccadilly.

That one is always declassified, as it is an additional service that only operates on Friday evenings. As far as I know, the other additional Friday evening services are also declassified.

But none of the normal timetabled services have any First Class coaches declassified, except when they are dangerously busy in Standard Class.

island

Veteran Member
That one is always declassified, as it is an additional service that only operates on Friday evenings. As far as I know, the other additional Friday evening services are also declassified.

But none of the normal timetabled services have any First Class coaches declassified, except when they are dangerously busy in Standard Class.

It's normally a Super Duper Voyager though.

Status
Not open for further replies.