• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Declassified coaches

Status
Not open for further replies.

cactustwirly

Established Member
What are the rules regarding declassified coaches?
We were travelling on a GWR HST with a declassified coach, which was clearly labelled 'coach F', the guard kicked us out.
Would they be able to charge us for 1st?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
We were travelling on a GWR HST with a declassified coach, which was clearly labelled 'coach F', the guard kicked us out.
If the train is listed as having first class in the timetable then whether or not it actually is first class will depend on the signage (if any), and if so, whether there is a notice (e.g. on the PIS) telling people first is declassified - as happens on the Class 700s.

cactustwirly

Established Member
If the train is listed as having first class in the timetable then whether or not it actually is first class will depend on the signage (if any), and if so, whether there is a notice (e.g. on the PIS) telling people first is declassified - as happens on the Class 700s.

But coach F is a standard class coach on GWR, and it was in the middle of the standard class accomodation

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
If it was in the middle of the standard class coaches then I'd be tempted to pay the extra then claim a refund.

Problem is, it's much harder to get them to take a complaint seriously if you aren't actually charged anything. However the experience of being chucked out should be compensated for.

Good luck complaining to GWR though; they have been caught treating several passengers appaulingly recently.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
If it was a genuine GWR 1st class coach there should have been a customer host present dispensing complimentary items. I somehow suspect this wasn't the case.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I suspect this should have been a genuine declassified coach but for whatever reason the TM decided it wasn't going to be!

tiptoptaff

Established Member
Coach lettering doesn't influence the classification. It has to be explicitly declassified. Usually done by taping over the 1 on the outside. If not, and it was not explicitly declassified by the TM or by any other obvious means they are within their rights to hold it as first class accommodation

cactustwirly

Established Member
Coach lettering doesn't influence the classification. It has to be explicitly declassified. Usually done by taping over the 1 on the outside. If not, and it was not explicitly declassified by the TM or by any other obvious means they are within their rights to hold it as first class accommodation

Even though the lettering had been deliberately changed from 'K'?

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I sometimes wonder if TOCs actually like confusing people.

Even writing out a couple of bits of A4 with "Standard Class" in pen and sellotaping them to the windows would have been better.

tiptoptaff

Established Member
Even though the lettering had been deliberately changed from 'K'?
Was the external 1 taped over? And were any of the "this is first class" signs altered? I ask as this is what the depot does to declassify. If it wasn't then the fact the lettering was changed is by the by. whether it would usually be a coach K isn't relevant, as even if it was being used as an extra 1st coach, it would need altering to prevent 2 Ks being in the set.

tiptoptaff

Established Member
I sometimes wonder if TOCs actually like confusing people.

Even writing out a couple of bits of A4 with "Standard Class" in pen and sellotaping them to the windows would have been better.
Effort is usually made by the depot to clearly indicate it is meant to be declassified. Hence I am asking if that was done so here.

cactustwirly

Established Member
Was the external 1 taped over? And were any of the "this is first class" signs altered? I ask as this is what the depot does to declassify. If it wasn't then the fact the lettering was changed is by the by. whether it would usually be a coach K isn't relevant, as even if it was being used as an extra 1st coach, it would need altering to prevent 2 Ks being in the set.

But was in the middle of standard class, and the train already had the 1.5 coaches of first class

tiptoptaff

Established Member
But was in the middle of standard class, and the train already had the 1.5 coaches of first class

Please answer my question as your refusal to do so, leads me to believe it wasn't and therefore could have been used as 1st at the discretion of the TM - and F isn't in the "middle" of standard, it ajoins 1st (provided that there ins't a composite K - and if there was there would have been a mini-buffet F, and this wouldn't have been an F)

AlterEgo

Veteran Member

It doesn't matter where the coach is in the train formation. It's a first class coach and as you seem to indicate through omission, wasn't noted as being declassified in any way shape or form.

First class is normally at the south end of a 390, but if they're in reverse, that doesn't make the leading four first class coaches standard class.

Flying Snail

Established Member
If you had a reservation for a seat in "F" then there would be a reasonable argument for occupying your assigned seat, otherwise as it appears the coach was not declassified by covering the numerous "1st Class" signs then you essentially ignored the valid notices and plonked yourself in 1st. Be thankful it was a TM that ejected you rather than a RPI demanding a fine.

cactustwirly

Established Member
If you had a reservation for a seat in "F" then there would be a reasonable argument for occupying your assigned seat, otherwise as it appears the coach was not declassified by covering the numerous "1st Class" signs then you essentially ignored the valid notices and plonked yourself in 1st. Be thankful it was a TM that ejected you rather than a RPI demanding a fine.

Well an RPI can try but I don't think it would get very far...

cactustwirly

Established Member
It doesn't matter where the coach is in the train formation. It's a first class coach and as you seem to indicate through omission, wasn't noted as being declassified in any way shape or form.

First class is normally at the south end of a 390, but if they're in reverse, that doesn't make the leading four first class coaches standard class.

But that isn't a correct analogy, it's like a pendolino having those normal 4 coaches, plus another first class coach instead of coach C, for example.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
But that isn't a correct analogy, it's like a pendolino having those normal 4 coaches, plus another first class coach instead of coach C, for example.

In the days of Mk3s it wasn't unusual to find an FO in the formation instead of a TSO on the WCML, but it was always clearly marked as such and had the classic marker of the antimacassars being removed.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member

Still wouldn't be declassified if there were no notices, announcements or publications saying it was. It's a first class coach.

tiptoptaff

Established Member
@cactustwirly Please, answer, was the coach in any way obviously marked as declassified? Yes, or no? Specifically, in any of the ways I have described. And in the case of the RPI, in absence of the obvious signs it is declassified, they would have grounds to pursue you for travelling in First Class with a STD ticket. The defence "It says F on it and F is usually STD" is what wouldn't get very far. With F being the unreserved, you can't even argue you have a valid STD reservation for that coach

cactustwirly

Established Member
@cactustwirly Please, answer, was the coach in any way obviously marked as declassified? Yes, or no? Specifically, in any of the ways I have described. And in the case of the RPI, in absence of the obvious signs it is declassified, they would have grounds to pursue you for travelling in First Class with a STD ticket. The defence "It says F on it and F is usually STD" is what wouldn't get very far. With F being the unreserved, you can't even argue you have a valid STD reservation for that coach

No, but it could be argued that the fact that 'F' is a standard class coach, there was no advertised 'first class host', and it was in the middle of standard, then it can be argued that it was declassified.

tiptoptaff

Established Member
No, but it could be argued that the fact that 'F' is a standard class coach, there was no advertised 'first class host', and it was in the middle of standard, then it can be argued that it was declassified.
There were are then

tiptoptaff

Established Member
The Host argument isn't a valid one and as I have said, it is directly coupled to the First class section, not the "middle" of Standard.

It was not declassified, the TM moved you. That is that, no more to be said about it

cactustwirly

Established Member
The Host argument isn't a valid one and as I have said, it is directly coupled to the First class section, not the "middle" of Standard.

It was not declassified, the TM moved you. That is that, no more to be said about it

But it was coupled to the standard end of the real coach 'K'

tiptoptaff

Established Member
But it was coupled to the standard end of the real coach 'K'

Composite K? Unusual. None the less- it was not clearly marked as declassified, and so wasn't. You were rightly asked to move. You should expect nothing in the way of compensation from GWR.

The First Host turn can regularly be uncovered, doesn't make First a free-for-all.

Status
Not open for further replies.