• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Deepcar steel train

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iskra

Established Member
Apologies for the lack of any update or clarification on the situation from myself, I’ve been working away from Stocksbridge for a few months. I’ve come across the below article that sheds some light on going on at the plant. Apologies that it’s a local paper with ridiculous amounts of advertising:

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Pjwinstone

I assume that this service always runs both ways - does it ever run stocksbridge to aldewarke only?

Wayne679

Looking at real time trains it looks like the Deepcar Steel Train ran today 03 November. It arrived at 1900 and departed at 1940. I missed it though as I was at work this evening. Good news though that it has run again.

Established Member
Looking at real time trains it looks like the Deepcar Steel Train ran today 03 November. It arrived at 1900 and departed at 1940. I missed it though as I was at work this evening. Good news though that it has run again.
It did 66142

Wayne679

Good evening people. I’ve noticed the steel train is going to run tonight and tracked the light engine movement to Aldwarke. I have noticed a head code at Deepcar number C196 does anyone know what this is?. It presuming it’s one of those engines used for shunting at Deepcar/Stocksbridge or could it be a Sandite train?.

Attachments

• BA3401EC-BEC3-4B71-B970-FF4704056667.png
    BA3401EC-BEC3-4B71-B970-FF4704056667.png
    547.8 KB · Views: 15

Established Member
Good evening people. I’ve noticed the steel train is going to run tonight and tracked the light engine movement to Aldwarke. I have noticed a head code at Deepcar number C196 does anyone know what this is?. It presuming it’s one of those engines used for shunting at Deepcar/Stocksbridge or could it be a Sandite train?.
Could be 60040 on it tonight

eastwestdivide

Established Member
I think Cnnn is usually some kind of block or posession. It’s disappeared now, as has the Deepcar train (Traksy at 1928) - presumably into the works and off the diagram.

Wayne679

Could be 60040 on it tonight
I saw the steel train tonight but my vantage point wasn’t good it was pitch dark and there were trees line side. I was just up from where the train had crossed the Wicker Arches. I couldn’t really tell but I thought it might have been a 66 but I could be wrong. It’s quite an impressive long rake of vehicles and I will try to get to better vantage point next time. The dark evenings make it a difficult train to capture but It’s good to see it running again though.

If it does run anytime in the near future, with the leaf fall season it generally requires a class 60 .

regards
Marcus
Are the class 60’s heavier than the 66’s?. I guess they must be hence why they are used up there in the leaf fall season?. That said I’ve seen a 60 up there in the summertime around 11 years ago.

fishwomp

Can someone tell me how far the freight goes into Stocksbridge?

There are a few options as obviously the loco needs to run round in order to deposit a load of trucks and leave, and depending on what their private shunter loco does, assuming they have one. The boundary for NR is only 3 chains from Deepcar station (former junction) ground frame, according to the sectional appendix.

Option 1: the yard nearest Deepcar Station ( https://goo.gl/maps/XQs4JT4DVNNYaEzB8 ) - looks like it still has run-round capability
Option 2: the next yard https://goo.gl/maps/guXkmC7tXAfbZRyo7 - there is a level crossing on a footpath immediately before this.
Option 3: beyond the works gates (there are a pair of gates on each side of this foot crossing: https://goo.gl/maps/zdHyotUn2CKyou2W6 - there is a yard next to what is now a shopping centre

Last edited:

Wayne679

If you look at 6J57 for a given day, if it is activated at exactly 1617, it almost certainly will not run
on that day, like this: https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/service/H15966/2

I use this as a gauge as to when the steel train will run. But on Friday 3rd December it wasn’t activated until 1617 so presumed it wouldn’t run but it did run that evening.

Wayne679

This was a very unusual working. Can Anyone shed any light on it?. Was it a one off?.

Attachments

• F6187465-66C1-45EB-8DD0-D1FD1D27DDDE.jpeg
    F6187465-66C1-45EB-8DD0-D1FD1D27DDDE.jpeg
    361.8 KB · Views: 48

Bob figgis

It was the Rail Head Treatment Train. Top and tailed class 37s. As the RHTT season is coming to an end, I think this may be a one off this year.

Iskra

Established Member
Can someone tell me how far the freight goes into Stocksbridge?

There are a few options as obviously the loco needs to run round in order to deposit a load of trucks and leave, and depending on what their private shunter loco does, assuming they have one. The boundary for NR is only 3 chains from Deepcar station (former junction) ground frame, according to the sectional appendix.

Option 1: the yard nearest Deepcar Station ( https://goo.gl/maps/XQs4JT4DVNNYaEzB8 ) - looks like it still has run-round capability
Option 2: the next yard https://goo.gl/maps/guXkmC7tXAfbZRyo7 - there is a level crossing on a footpath immediately before this.
Option 3: beyond the works gates (there are a pair of gates on each side of this foot crossing: https://goo.gl/maps/zdHyotUn2CKyou2W6 - there is a yard next to what is now a shopping centre
I believe it is option 2. I'm not sure heavy freight locomotive's can go any further.

On the 37-hauled rail tour I have mentioned previously; that is where the tour ran to and one of the steelworks locomotives came out to meet us. Class 37's being lighter than 66/60's would mean that a 60/66 would not be able to progress any further along the line than a lighter 37. It is certainly not option 3 as I've never seen a mainline locomotive there in my 6 years of working in that vicinity.

On a positive note, rail operations seem to be back to normal levels now from my observations :)

50E86D4F-084D-40FA-B9A0-07250EC323D7.jpeg6CA3E47C-D917-4CEE-91ED-CFB6C0DCF516.jpeg20087410-8BDD-432E-B341-0808A8DF0A6F.jpeg

Last edited:

D365

Veteran Member
Are the class 60’s heavier than the 66’s?. I guess they must be hence why they are used up there in the leaf fall season?. That said I’ve seen a 60 up there in the summertime around 11 years ago.
I understand that the wheelslip protection system on a 60 is far superior.

fishwomp

I believe it is option 1. I'm not sure heavy freight locomotive's can go any further.

On the 37-hauled rail tour I have mentioned previously; that is where the tour ran to and one of the steelworks locomotives came out to meet us. Class 37's being lighter than 66/60's would mean that a 60/66 would not be able to progress any further along the line than a lighter 37. It is certainly not option 3 as I've never seen a mainline locomotive there in my 6 years of working in that vicinity.

On a positive note, rail operations seem to be back to normal levels now from my observations :)

View attachment 106989View attachment 106990View attachment 106991
Thanks for the shots and follow up. I did see this subsequent to my post - https://www.flickr.com/photos/daohaiku/45466216714
This shows the level crossing I wrote about in Option 2 with a 60 (nice!) - I don't know if that's typical though. I guess will just have to go spend some time watching it.

Iskra

Established Member
Thanks for the shots and follow up. I did see this subsequent to my post - https://www.flickr.com/photos/daohaiku/45466216714
This shows the level crossing I wrote about in Option 2 with a 60 (nice!) - I don't know if that's typical though. I guess will just have to go spend some time watching it.
Looking at it in more detaill; the railtour I was on must have actually run to option 2 going by the photo I provided and comparing it to the map (apologies, I was going from memory)

And also, if you look closely at the google maps links you provided, there is actually a full train of wagons sat there, ready and waiting for a mainline locomotive to appear at option 2. So it appears that option 2 is the answer :)

Wayne679

Looks like we have a steel train running to Deepcar tonight. It was nice and early activated at 10:58 this morning.

Iskra

Established Member
Stocksbridge works and Aldwarke have closed now for Christmas for two weeks so I doubt there will much movement over this time, I think there’s just a bit of maintenance going on.

Wayne679

Not sure what’s happened to the steel train but unless I’m mistaken it hasn’t run for almost three weeks. It ran Wednesday 5th January and Thursday 6th January on two consecutive days which in itself is unusual these days but doesn’t appear to have run since. It’s a difficult working to catch a glimpse of these days. Hopefully it will run again soon.

Pjwinstone

Not sure what’s happened to the steel train but unless I’m mistaken it hasn’t run for almost three weeks. It ran Wednesday 5th January and Thursday 6th January on two consecutive days which in itself is unusual these days but doesn’t appear to have run since. It’s a difficult working to catch a glimpse of these days. Hopefully it will run again soon.
I live in Teesside and would like to catch it so please us posted - is there any record of when it has run?

Wayne679

I live in Teesside and would like to catch it so please us posted - is there any record of when it has run?
The most accurate information seems to be Real-time trains. You have to select the detailed search option and can find it from aldwarke ues or type in Stockbridge works. It generally needs to be activated before 16:17 which is two hours before it’s scheduled departure from aldwarke ues towards Stockbridge but I have also seen it activated at exactly 16:17 and still run. These days it is very sporadic as to when it runs and in the dark evenings it is difficult to capture but in a couple of months when we get the light evenings back it is worth trying to get a glimpse of. Real-time trains only allows you to check back over a week and it hasn’t shown up recently.

Wayne679

Looks like there was an unusual working to and from Stocksbridge last Friday night.

Attachments

• 214E9A51-ECD6-47A4-99F0-DAFF18C76B29.jpeg
    214E9A51-ECD6-47A4-99F0-DAFF18C76B29.jpeg
    497.5 KB · Views: 46

Iskra

Established Member
There has been movement overnight or today; all the wagons have been cleared from the main storage yard. It’s the first sign of movement I’ve seen for weeks and the track between the storage yard and the works is starting to rust over.

Established Member
There has been movement overnight or today; all the wagons have been cleared from the main storage yard. It’s the first sign of movement I’ve seen for weeks and the track between the storage yard and the works is starting to rust over.
Aren’t The company in charge in financial difficulties? Looks the loco to work 6J57 1817 from Aldwarke has arrived from Masborough

Status
Not open for further replies.