• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Default 166 newbie help please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt Taylor

Established Member
I've been using RW for a week or two now and no matter what I try I cannot get any decent acceleration out of the 166 and I'm losing a minute every two stops roughly. Can anyone suggest a decent driving technique or or point me in the right direction?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

CC 72100

Established Member
Hi,

I'll admit that I find it quite sluggish to drive - give me an EMU for such short distances anyday.

I find the best way is to go 100% on the power (you rarely need to change it as you rarely get up to line speed) and brake - harshly - from about 0.7 mile out from the next station. I've found that full power and harsh, latish breaking is the best way to do it, but I'll admit that meeting timetable driving the 166 is tough!

Anyone else got any other approaches?

CC 72100

Established Member
I agree, it does seem to be lacking in the power department. I can just about keep it on time on short runs these days by leaving the braking to as late as possible. Can't think of anything else to suggest really :|

Crossover

Established Member
If you think the 166 is bad don't bother with the 450!

Seconded!

I have to say, the RW way of driving does seem to be often a case of stick controller to 100% and leave it there unless the wheels slip! It is often the case that I find it is the only way to get stops in on time.

We should probably all email them with these concerns but it is a while since I played now so don't want to be emailing about stuff that is since sorted.

It could just be the power curves have become a bit buggered up as the 150 seems to be pretty nippy!

Incontro

Seconded!

I have to say, the RW way of driving does seem to be often a case of stick controller to 100% and leave it there unless the wheels slip! It is often the case that I find it is the only way to get stops in on time.

We should probably all email them with these concerns but it is a while since I played now so don't want to be emailing about stuff that is since sorted.

It could just be the power curves have become a bit buggered up as the 150 seems to be pretty nippy!

Now, try doing that with the Class 150.

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
I've only driven the 150s in the wet, but with the sanders on I don't think there is a problem giving it some welly.

Johnny_w

I hate the 166 for this reason, however I often use the handbrake to aid very late braking into stations.

It's not ideal, but it can shave seconds where they count.

JW

Harbon 1

I had the same sluggish behaviour, but treat it like a car (I'm 15 so I'm guessing) don't just whak it in 6th, put it st 100% for about a second, then bring it back a bit to build up the speed. It's a bit like driving the steam locos I've found, but if you drive it realistically (ie, when on a DMU listen to the engine and try to copy it) ;)

YorkshireBear

Established Member
I find that in the class 166 if during early stages of acceleration i stick the reverser into reverse quickly then push it straight up to forward again the acceleration jumps and goes a lot quicker. Found this with the class 67 too.

Crossover

Established Member
I find that in the class 166 if during early stages of acceleration i stick the reverser into reverse quickly then push it straight up to forward again the acceleration jumps and goes a lot quicker. Found this with the class 67 too.

Don't think this will work for me as I'm in advanced mode as once rolling you often can't alter the reverser

deltic1989

Established Member
Whilst we are on the subject of the 166. Is it just me it happens to or is it a glitch in the sofware that you sometimes see AI 166's blasting along at nearly 70 with all the doors wide open?

Crossover

Established Member
Whilst we are on the subject of the 166. Is it just me it happens to or is it a glitch in the sofware that you sometimes see AI 166's blasting along at nearly 70 with all the doors wide open?

They overheated so RW decided to implement air conditioning :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.