• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Definition of 'Hellfire'?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheSlash

Established Member
Please could somebody inform me the definition of Hellfire.
I have decided i have been wasting my life working and now intend to devote the remainder of it to living on Eastleigh platform talking train numbers into dictation machines.
I need to know the definition of hellfire so that i won't embarress myself by shouting at the wrong time in front of more senior and experienced spotters, especially ChrisM. *Edit* and the Gricer ;)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

The Gricer

TheSlash said:
I need to know the definition of hellfire so that i won't embarress myself by shouting at the wrong time in front of more senior and experienced spotters, especially ChrisM. ;)
I shouldn't worry about it Steve. According to Damon you're no stranger to embarrassing yourself in public anyway!;) :D Just mind you don't drop your dictation machine off the platform in excitement as you scream "Hellfire" at the top of your voice as a Voyager pulls away in a whisp of exhaust smoke.

Frank

TheSlash

Established Member
Says the man who rings his son up from work everytime a unit goes past his window ;) 8-)
This forum really needs a dribbling smiley :D ;)

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Too right.

As for defining 'Hellfire!', that would depend on what sort of thing you'd be interested in. You could be an EMU freak, so a speedy departure for a 450 could then be described as 'Hellfire!', although I don't know anyone that obsessed with EMUs. Or you could be a steam fan. I don't know how'd you define 'Hellfire!' there, but 7802 up Talerddig would certainly be classed as 'HELLFIRE!' in my eyes!

Naturally, most people who use 'Hellfire!' are diesel freaks, much like me (although I'm open to an EMU bash now and again). In such cases, 'Hellfire!' could be used to describe a 43 absolutely and literally storm off Doncaster, much like has been photted and linked to elsewhere here recently.

Can't imagine TheSlash standing at Eastleigh spotting though! Would be a very odd sight!

Coxster

Established Member
Just to highlight your edit about experienced 'Gricers' such as Dad, he has been spotting for about 40 years!

David

Established Member
WSXFan said:
You could be an EMU freak, so a speedy departure for a 450 could then be described as 'Hellfire!', although I don't know anyone that obsessed with EMUs.

*cough* No names, but I know a member of this forum who is on EOTL as "458fan"....

If you think you know who it is, send your answers on a post card.

RJ

Established Member
I'd only use it to describe diesels. But-I can't wait for Monday!!!!!!!!!! TWO EWS 37s Cricklewood to Old Oak from the St Albans-Wales tour on Saturday. Then I can epitomise it!
Edited (by doublepost prevention system):
Ta to Richard Armstrong for posting the times. The tour organisers are advertising it as 37s right?

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
37419 and 425 have been mentioned for the tour :D

for me hellfire used to be a 304 between alvechurch and redditch hehehe they were all over the place hehehe shame they relayed the track:toothy8: ;)

ChrisM

TheSlash said:
Please could somebody inform me the definition of Hellfire.
I have decided i have been wasting my life working and now intend to devote the remainder of it to living on Eastleigh platform talking train numbers into dictation machines.
I need to know the definition of hellfire so that i won't embarress myself by shouting at the wrong time in front of more senior and experienced spotters, especially ChrisM. *Edit* and the Gricer ;)

Ok Slashie i know you 'think' i hang around Eastleigh with the Eastleigh massive but i visit there for a few reasons.
1,My brother lives next to Eastleigh depot.
2,My brother works for SWT in that area.
3,I sometimes visit my mum at Hedge End so change trains at Eastleigh.

Hellfire is a great word like 'clag' and 'beast' and as long as you don't disagree with the way people use it then you will be fine.

I was a spotter in the 70s and 80s but now a photter.:thumbup:
Remember if you take photos for your own site watch out for emails and messages left on your site which could be like these
you are a prik *spelt* prick
you are going to get beated
Why do you think you are it all the time
So be careful and don't disagree with people or you could be under threat like me. :rolleyes:

class 313

Established Member
joea1 said:
I'd only use it to describe diesels. But-I can't wait for Monday!!!!!!!!!! TWO EWS 37s Cricklewood to Old Oak from the St Albans-Wales tour on Saturday. Then I can epitomise it!
Ta to Richard Armstrong for posting the times. The tour organisers are advertising it as 37s right?

Sweet im going to st albans city anyway, whats the timings, i might get to see it

TheSlash

Established Member
Chris, i've never met anybody big enough to do the middle one, many have tried but always come off worse

jonb

Established Member
joea1 said:
LOL. Off St. Albans 05:47

It should be noted that this tour starts from Bedford and NOT St Albans. As for the ECS I believe this happened once before and the ECS ran on the Saturday night, however we shall see...

ChrisM

TheSlash said:
Chris, i've never met anybody big enough to do the middle one, many have tried but always come off worse
Surprising how mouthy some can be behind your back or on MSN etc but seem to have a different stance when face to face.
I too have had people try and have never suceeded.

richa2002

Established Member
joea1 said:
No problem ;)

RJ

Established Member
I've just remembered, it's possible to see the best of both locos as to get from Cricklewood to Old Oak a reversal is required at Tottenham South Jn. And the GOBLine is actually getting partial service :). So I can see 37425 from South Tottenham and Acton Mainline (NOT Ealing Broadway after last time!). And if I'm lucky, Greenford? Or Hangar Lane at a push.
P.s KENSLGCWP - Is that Kensal Green chord? If not is it viewable from any station?

jonb

Established Member
joea1 said:
P.s KENSLGCWP - Is that Kensal Green chord? If not is it viewable from any station?

No - Thats the bit just to the East of Old Oak where the locos will de-attach from the stock and the depot shunter will take the stock in. It is not visible aside from passing trains.

RJ

Established Member
37425 + 37419 OPENED UP going through South Tottenham! And a less reputable display at Acton Mainline. And a darn loud thrash up at North Acton, there was probably the most clag there but it was obscured by a bridge :(

Julian G

Established Member
joea1 said:
37425 + 37419 OPENED UP going through South Tottenham! And a less reputable display at Acton Mainline. And a darn loud thrash up at North Acton, there was probably the most clag there but it was obscured by a bridge :(
Quotes from Rail-Gen
-37425+37419 just opened up through South Tottenham
around 30 early.
-
North Acton 13:02. Full throttle

RJ

Established Member
That was me ;)

47!

ygt04f.jpg

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Good to see 47854 is still clagging away nicely. Did on December 4th 2005, did last month when I bashed it on Cardiff Central - Queen Street too.

RJ

Established Member
Yep, totally unexpected. I was expecting something else but it passed through light on the "wrong" line, then stopped. Next thing I knew the driver jumped into the other cab and it came speeding back!!! Full throttle I reckon. Its a total mystery what it was doing :( Last time I saw it it was clagging away at Hounslow :)

Techniquest

Veteran Member
47810 is the claggiest 47 I've seen, that and 828, both on North Wales VWC services, the former of which I bashed all the way from Crewe to Holyhead. I'll definately say it was a hellfire bash!

Status
Not open for further replies.